Hurricane Ike

Trae

you're at your office? why?

I'm a Meteorologist. :-) I am on the ride out team at my work.... we are in the western eye wall now... winds gusting to over 100 mph... absolutely insane! Never in my life have I seen something like this.... power is out everywhere... there is going to be a lot of damage tomorrow... western eye wall heading for Downtown Houston now.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My power finally gave up the ghost....I'm surprised it held out as long as it did. According to 13, we're about to get the eyewall moving overhead here inside the loop. Now 13 is showing the obligatory sideways Wayne D. hanging onto a light pole footage. LOL

Our power (in Eastwood) has been mostly on, though DirecTV is losing signal. One of our AC units isn't cooling. Not sure how that is relevant, but our Clear Lake City friends who are staying with us think it is ;). I haven't ventured outside, but it is loud, loud, loud in this 70-year old house. It hasn't moved though, and our remote rain guage says we have had half and inch of rain.

And the worst is yet to come?

KHOU is showing that Brennan's has been destroyed by fire.

:(

Things are not looking good for Galveston. If there are lots of dead, I think we'll finally see the end of the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale. People see Ike - Category 2 and Alicia - Category 3 and assume the latter is stronger. Despite all the warnings, this is what these people focused on. It's kind of an antiquated system that can only accurately describe property damage from winds.

My reports from downtown Galveston are indicating that the water has risen to the top of the door. And no windows have blown out at the third story. It seems tame. I wish I were there, in hindsight.

____, furniture is falling out of Chase Tower.

Oooh...anything any good?

So where is most of the damage? Way up high, in the middle, down low? I would guess up high 'cause the winds are supposed to be higher the further above the ground you go....

Where are you hearing this?

I live at the Rice Hotel. I'm watching Chase Tower getting completely trashed right out my window. A small tornado repeatedly forms on Travis St, each time blowing out more windows. A copier(?) just flew out a window and landed half a block down Texas Ave.

Edit: first power blink downtown. All utilities still functioning.

So I woke up just about 15 minutes ago to what I believe was a news reporter yelling into the mic (unless she was just a crazy person having conversations with Ike). I'm also assuming it was channel 11 since their station is just down the street. But by the time I could flip on the TV (I was sans glasses and half-asleep), she stopped talking. Not sure why she was reporting from the courtyard of my apartment complex though --- because we're still amazingly one of the few lucky ones with electricity? Because we have extensive damage outside my window that I'm not aware of? Kind of makes me nervous.

And just a minute ago a loud bang/pop just went off....

I live at the Rice Hotel. I'm watching Chase Tower getting completely trashed right out my window. A small tornado repeatedly forms on Travis St, each time blowing out more windows. A copier(?) just flew out a window and landed half a block down Texas Ave.

Thanks. I'm texting storm updates to a friend in Houston who doesn't have power.

Just watched the transformer across the street blow. Spectacular show. Lights off across the street. Mine still on. Anyone else in the Heights got power? tmariar? How 'bout you?

Sucks. Now, I can't see the storm on my street. I hear the howling, I hear the rain, I hear things go bump in the night, but I can't see it. Only my backyard has light on it.

Jeff Ehling of Channel 13 just confirmed this. "All of the windows from this side of the street are gone....."

Just wondering what I'm going to return to when I got back to the office downtown next week....

Yikes. They are reporting this online now that every window is blown out for like 20 floors and that there is massive glass on the ground. They are trying to get video of the Travis Tornado.

Just watched the transformer across the street blow. Spectacular show. Lights off across the street. Mine still on. Anyone else in the Heights got power? tmariar? How 'bout you? Sucks. Now, I can't see the storm on my street. I hear the howling, I hear the rain, I hear things go bump in the night, but I can't see it. Only my backyard has light on it.

Never posted from my blackberry before - hope this works. I lost power right about 3am. Most everyone else around me has power, so I can see the storm, and was out on my porch a long time watching it. Scary. But from what I saw on radar just before 3, I'm guessing this is/was the worst of it in terms of gusts. That's what I've been telling the friends staying with me - they're a little freaked out. Sad to hear about Chase. Glad you still have power, Red. Glad all of y'all are posting.

Archived