Hurricane Ike

Trae

I can't believe John Culbersun made such a big hissy fit about the 1st responders at Tully stadium not getting enough food and water for themselves, and then using his influence as a congressman to call a "News Conference" to complain about it, and then pleading for willing people to bring food and water to the stadium. What a grand stander. You could hear his cell phone ringing when he was infront of the camera. It was probably Chernoff calling him to tell him to "knock it off already".

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend near Southmore/288 that has power.

East or west of 288?

I heard that parts of the Museum District west of 288 had power, but I haven't heard any reports of 3rd Ward Southmore/Calumet area having power. I am waiting to hear since we are heading back to Houston tomorrow. Thanks for any info.

I got power back at 3:45AM Sunday. I came back from Brenham, Saturday around 2:00PM, and saw the CenterPoint truck driving up and down the road in front of my house. I told my son that his grandfather would have been out there offering those guys a beer. (My son found that amusing). Well low and behold, as I was sweating my ass off, and not sleeping because of the humidity and the noisy generator, BINGO, we got power. This is in Santa Fe, Galveston County. Go figure.

Status: Roof damage (about a hundred shingles or so) and many naked trees, and I'm okay with that.

Braeswood Place (most parts) regained electricity during the night last night. That's south of West U. I still hear generators in a distance though. I ventured out for the first time today. Of all times for my car battery to go out... O'Reilly had no power, but were open and I got my battery. It's just plain messed up out there. It's amazing the initiative that individuals have taken to assist in clearing the streets, etc. I do have to feel proud of the people of Houston and our governments. I just love that Lyda Ann in Galveston; she means business. Also, I think Bill White and Ed Emmit (sp) should also be applauded. Thanks also to all the convoys rolling into town to help us out.

I work across the street from TCB, I mean Chase Tower - not even going to try to go to work until Wed.

Our power went out kind of early - 7:30pm on Friday, as I was reading HAIF! We got it back this afternoon, though (Bellaire, inside the loop, near Bissonnet). About 5 minutes after it was up, the fire department was here because apparently a tree, or a branch, or something was touching the line and was on fire. While we were standing around outside gawking, something blew up and the neighbors across the street are without power again.

I almost made fun of my husband for buying a generator about 3 yrs ago, but it did keep the fridge running and a fan blowing on the hot nights. Thankfully our power came back on just before we were going to run out of fuel, too. Just lost a tree in the front, which went into the street and not towards the house. Saw lots of trees down in the neighborhood, along with fences, etc. Only saw one window broken near here & minor roof damage on some of the older homes. Maybe the McMansions blocked some of that wind for us! Just *stuff* everywhere - branches, signs, street lights. My brother did make it to Houston from Japan via Continental (got in early this morning). Some kind of shuttle actually brought him from the airport to the house.

Keeping the kiddo entertained through 65 hours of no power was not really fun, but we managed. Feel very lucky, actually. Hope everyone we haven't heard from yet are doing okay, too.

Just got back to Pearland.

Drove all the way from Miami to Houston chasing Ike..... Got to see first hand all the damage of Gustav and now Ike. Sad.

The drive into Houston today was as smooth as I could expect. Gas started to be scarce after the Lake Charles area; Sam's club in Beaumont was open with plenty of supplies.... They opened yesterday too; Military forces are coordinating everything around there. Excellent job, one more to be proud of them.

Here at home in Shadow Creek Ranch, lucky me only my landscaping and fences suffered with the hurricane (Time to get some nicer new ones). Power has been back since saturday p.m., but unfortunately Some neighborgs have some damage to their homes, I guess i will get a better idea tomorrow. A lot of tree damages in the neighborhood, and some of the restaurants with power are already opening their doors. Life seems to start slowly coming back to normal around here.

Very glad to see the small number of casualties, but it breaks my heart the situation that many people is suffering all around the coast & the area in general; but good thing that Texas is full of great people that will bring this place to normal as quickly as it can be done.

Edited by Chamo

Johnson Space Center remains closed

As recovery and cleanup operations continue, NASA's Johnson Space Center remains closed until late this week or next Monday, September 22.

MESSAGE FROM CITY OF LA PORTE

This is Ron Bottoms, City Manager of the City of La Porte. As the city begins recovery from Hurricane Ike, I would like to warn citizens of potential contractor scams.

The City has begun normal garbage pickup on regularly scheduled routes for household garbage.

If you have debris from your property it will need to be placed on the side of the street. City contractors will begin removal of debris shortly. Debris placed on the sides of streets will need to be separated into four groups as follows: normal household garbage, Construction & Demolition materials, Vegetative debris, and appliances. This is crucial to ensure fast and efficient clean up of the city.

Our power went out kind of early - 7:30pm on Friday, as I was reading HAIF! We got it back this afternoon, though (Bellaire, inside the loop, near Bissonnet). About 5 minutes after it was up, the fire department was here because apparently a tree, or a branch, or something was touching the line and was on fire. While we were standing around outside gawking, something blew up and the neighbors across the street are without power again.

I almost made fun of my husband for buying a generator about 3 yrs ago, but it did keep the fridge running and a fan blowing on the hot nights. Thankfully our power came back on just before we were going to run out of fuel, too. Just lost a tree in the front, which went into the street and not towards the house. Saw lots of trees down in the neighborhood, along with fences, etc. Only saw one window broken near here & minor roof damage on some of the older homes. Maybe the McMansions blocked some of that wind for us! Just *stuff* everywhere - branches, signs, street lights. My brother did make it to Houston from Japan via Continental (got in early this morning). Some kind of shuttle actually brought him from the airport to the house.

Keeping the kiddo entertained through 65 hours of no power was not really fun, but we managed. Feel very lucky, actually. Hope everyone we haven't heard from yet are doing okay, too.

Um, Bissonnet and Bellaire run parallel inside the Loop. They do, however, intersect outside the loop. I get the gist though. We got those teasers, where the power would come on and then go back off for long periods. Everyone around would cheer and then be severily let down when it went back off. It's been holding firm all day now.

Um, Bissonnet and Bellaire run parallel inside the Loop. They do, however, intersect outside the loop. I get the gist though. We got those teasers, where the power would come on and then go back off for long periods. Everyone around would cheer and then be severily let down when it went back off. It's been holding firm all day now.

Sorry, I meant that I'm in the city of Bellaire - inside the loop - near Bissonnet. We're between Bellaire Blvd. and Bissonnet, actually.

Haven't had much sleep around here, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not making much sense. ;)

Sorry, I meant that I'm in the city of Bellaire - inside the loop - near Bissonnet. We're between Bellaire Blvd. and Bissonnet, actually.

Haven't had much sleep around here, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not making much sense. ;)

Actually, I misread it. I know where you're talking about. When was the fire? I live near you and a City of Houston FD and they took off earlier this evening making an enormous point with their sirens.

Actually, I misread it. I know where you're talking about. When was the fire? I live near you and a City of Houston FD and they took off earlier this evening making an enormous point with their sirens.

It was this afternoon, around 1pm or so. Seriously, we were still celebrating the power being back on & heard this weird whooshing sound. Couldn't figure out what it was until we saw the fire truck outside. It was the Bellaire FD. I don't even know if we just missed the sirens or they never had them on. After the big POW!, my husband ran back inside and happily reported that our power was still on - so it's just our neighbors across the street that are still without. Fire truck left about 5 minutes later, too.

Our neighborhood is kinda weird. It was still pretty bonded when Allison flooded all of us, but so many of those neighbors packed it in & moved after that. We really know very few of our neighbors in the newer & bigger houses, so we don't have a good neighborhood chain of communication anymore. A fire on the street only brought out about 4 families and two of those had the fire going on right between their houses! Now I feel like I need a cane and to tell the kids to get off my lawn. :P

Are you in those new midrise apartments?

Sounds like it's a good idea to live next to employment centers. Uptown was up early too.

nope I'm in a complex called the place at Greenway, its on the other side of Richmond. and i work at Starbucks. we will be open from 7 to 7 tomorrow just to let yall know!

i think the reason i got power so fast was because of the fire station on the end of cummins.

nope I'm in a complex called the place at Greenway, its on the other side of Richmond. and i work at Starbucks. we will be open from 7 to 7 tomorrow just to let yall know!

i think the reason i got power so fast was because of the fire station on the end of cummins.

I'd stop by if Ike-cleanup hasn't kept me so amazingly awake. Good thing you'll be getting a Metrorail stop, if they ever get around to building it.

I'd stop by if Ike-cleanup hasn't kept me so amazingly awake. Good thing you'll be getting a Metrorail stop, if they ever get around to building it.

My sleeping schedule is also completely screwed up. I've also developed a serious case of alcoholism ;) .

So... things aren't bad enough on Galveston Island.

Now there's some doofus holed up (hunkered down?) in a church with a freaking lion.

A lion.

In a church.

In a hurricane.

Seriously, what's wrong with people?

Are you sure it's a lion and not that bear that was spotted on the seawall? Just crazy.

Damn.. Talk about Bellaire makes me want to leave Austin to go home. :mellow:

I know where 610 & Bissonnet is, I used to work at 4500 Bissonnet, next to Newcastle.

Any updates of power on Westbury/Meyerpark area? W. Bellfort & S. Post Oak.

I wanna come home! I can't handle my brothers cats anymore (cat allergies)

Thanks for your help!

Statement from the Texas Fuel Team:

Fuel workers are working around the clock to bring all elements of the fuel infrastructure back online to re-establish normal fuel production and delivery. Progress to restore the fuel infrastructure is underway as a Texas port has re-opened, refineries are preparing for re-start procedures, and several fuel terminals and gas stations have generator power. The graphic below depicts how all of the elements of the fuel industry must work together to meet the fuel needs of Texas and the nation.

The fuel system needs people, power, ports, pipelines and raw materials to make and deliver fuel and we're seeing progress on all fronts. Re-starting the fuel system is a process and safety is our first priority. Assessment teams are inspecting facilities for structural damage, electrical problems, road safety, and flooding to be sure it is safe for additional employees to return to affected regions. There is still work to do to be sure the entire fuel system comes back online safely.

In the meantime, plans initiated before the storm are working. Before the storm, the fuel industry staged people, fuel and generators that could deploy into the affected region as soon as it was safe. Now, those fuel trucks and workers are delivering fuel and generators into Houston where it is safe and feasible to do so. Teams are bringing in fuel from out of the area and supplies have been directed from around the world into the Houston area. Additional fuel trucks are being sent into the Houston area to expedite refueling at stations. As a result, several terminals and gas stations now have generator power and are able to operate

The power is back on in our part of Eastwood, though I know that the "older" part closer to Harrisburg is still without power. I have to admit that we were actually doing pretty decently without power. With the nice weather, we were able to open up most of the windows and the breeze was refreshing. The cold showers too! We got to meet more of our neighbors and share our war stories.

Our trash was picked up this morning. Not the tree debris, but the trash cans. I am very happy with the way the City, County, and residents have responded so far. I don't know how this is being reported nationally, but I hope all of the good press gets out about how well we have managed in the face of adversity. Take that Louisiana!.

Hopefully those without power will have theirs restored soon!

Finally found a place with internet. (DNR on the corner of Chelsea and Montrose.) Made it through the storm. We lost power about 10:30pm and it came back on about 4 am that morning right before the eye wall hit. That is the only time we were without power. Don' ask me how. No cable and internet yet. Glad everyone seems okay and I will post my pics ASAP!

Dang you...haha. In Montrose as well - ours went out about 2 a.m., then came back on around 4 a.m. It lasted about half an hour before going out for good when the neighbor's tree took out the power line and the nearest power pole snapped. I don't think they've even looked at it yet!

Houston Public Library Locations to Begin Reopening Tuesday, September 16th

Houstonians invited to stop by available Library locations to apply for FEMA aid

September 15, 2008 (Houston, TX) - The Houston Public Library's Central Library and Julia Ideson Building (JIB) will reopen to the public beginning Tuesday, September 16, 2008. Hours of operation for this week will be 10 AM to 7 PM. Houstonians are invited to stop by either Library location to access all services, including computers and the Internet. The Central Library computer lab will be designated as the Hurricane Ike Assistance Room to file for FEMA aid, insurance claims, and emailing family and friends. Librarians will be on hand to offer assistance in finding and utilizing necessary online resources. The Central Library and JIB are located at 500 McKinney, 77002, 832-393-1313 (phone is currently unavailable, but expected to go back online shortly).

Two additional locations will open on Wednesday, September 17th with

hours of operation 10 AM to 7 PM. Others will open in the following days

depending on availability of power and water, as well as the

determination of damages to individual facilities on a case-by-case

basis. Locations to open Wednesday, September 17th:

1.Kendall Neighborhood Library, 14330 Memorial Drive, 77079,

832-393-1880

The meeting room at Kendall Neighborhood Library will be equipped with

laptops and serve as a Hurricane Ike Assistance Room to file for FEMA

aid, insurance claims, and emailing family and friends. Librarians will

be on hand to offer assistance in finding and utilizing necessary online

resources.

2.Acres Home Neighborhood Library, 8501 West Montgomery, 77088,

832-393-1700

The Acres Homes Neighborhood Library will be equipped with laptops to

increase the number of computers available to customers. Librarians will

be on hand to offer assistance in finding and accessing the Web sites to

file for FEMA aid, insurance claims, and emailing family and friends.

Houston Public Library staff are urged to check in with their

supervisors to let them know their personal situations - how they fared

during Hurricane Ike and what their resources are now. Library officials

are determining which staff are available to deploy in Library

facilities as they get up and running for public access.

HUMBLE RESIDENTS ASKED NOT TO USE WATER

(Harris County, TX) - The City of Humble is asking its residents to stop using water. The city is working on the sewage system and needs to stop water flow. If residents keep using the water the sewer lines will back into homes.

SE LES PIDE A LOS RESIDENTES DE HUMBLE QUE NO USEN EL AGUA

(Harris County, TX) - Oficiales de la cuidad de Humble le pide a sus residentes que no usen el agua. La ciudad est

if you get hungry, restaurants all along kirby are open. many bars downtown are open as well. they brought hobby power back up last night but surrounding areas are still without power. groceries gas and ice still seem to be hardest to find. gulfgate main stores had power this morning however surrounding restaurants etc were closed.

A lion.

In a church.

In a hurricane.

Of particular concern is a resident who collects exotic animals who is now holed up in a Baptist church with his pet lion. "We're not going in there," Jones said. "We know where he (the lion) is on the food chain."

Interesting that they had to specify pronoun use! :lol:

Lions and Christians, together. Sounds like fun! :mellow: