Hurricane Ike

Trae

Private Waste Management Sites to Accept Hurricane Ike Debris from County Residents

Allied, Casco, Waste Corporation of America (WCA), and Waste Management (WM) will begin accepting Hurricane Ike debris to provide residents of Harris County additional ways to clear debris quickly from their property.

The Allied, Casco, WCA, and WM sites are privately managed sites and may charge a fee for disposal. Please contact the site for information regarding fees, hours of operation, and types of waste accepted.

Allied Facilities

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Day 10 without electricity. Actually, it is still day 9 for another 54 minutes, but you get the idea.

I'm really starting to get used to this no AC thing. Well timed cold showers, laying on my hammock on the back deck, wearing as little as possible...eventually you get this figured out. I finally fished out my windows screens so that I can open all the windows, that and a fan makes it tolerable.

Yes, I have an extra case of water if someone needs it. Otherwise, it goes to the Hurricane Season 2009 stockpile.

Screw the ice thing. I am sick of buying...or picking it up for free...ice, bringing it home, cleaning out the cooler, and repacking it with fresh ice. I loaded up the few perishables left in my cooler and brought them to the mini-fridge at work. I'll just eat them here. Don't care if my drinks are cold, I'll drink it warm, or run to the store if I just have to have a cold drink. Or maybe I'll stash a 6-pack in the neighbor's fridge. But, from now until I get power back, it is can food and warm drinks.

Related to above...

Next time a storm enters the Gulf, the first thing I am doing is eat all of the perishables. I don't want to worry about ice. Even my beloved flavored coffee creamer must go. They make powdered creamer, and it will have to suffice.

A last note...

Having endured the last 10 days without power, I must say that...with the exception of the elderly, the infirm, and infants (NO, I do not mean children!), most people are a bunch of panzies. This is not tough. Uncomfortable, occasionally. Tough, hardly. I've said this before, but there was a time when people (men mostly) bragged about how tough they were. Now, people brag about how wimpy they are. I find myself making mental notes when I hear all the complaining, not to be anywhere near these complainers when Armagedden hits. Now, this is not a swipe at any HAIFers, as HAIFers are as tough as they get (except for the few who ran away before Ike hit). This is mostly aimed at the crybabies that have called into all of the radio stations that I've listened to. I am quite sure that if I had TV, I'd be bitching about the ones on TV as well.

Anyway, end of vent. Nice to be back at work, and back on HAIF. It will be even nicer when I do it from home!

Right there with you, Red. Weenies abound. Still without power on Walker St as of this morning.

The nights are not as comfortable as they were last week, but.........we're toughing it our by spending most of the day drinking on the porch, where it's very pleasant. Had a nice dinner of grilled NY Strips on the porch. Just tie the hair back, don't wear more than the minimum of shorts and tank tops, and it ain't so bad. Getting made up for the office in near dark in a humid house is less than pleasant, but I tell ya, I'm catching up on my sleep. Light's out by 9, up at dawn. It has not been worth dealing with idiot drivers to go around to eat out at overly crowded restaurants, and filling the void with shopping holds even less appeal than usual. Instead, I've dusted just about every square inch of my house--much easier to do when the air's not on and it's a little humid. You're right about maintaining ice. More trouble than it's worth. I've also decided I'll probably ditch the Mr Coffee for good and use the french press exclusively when the electric comes back.

The way I look at it, all the sweating is amounting to a really good week of de-tox. :D I've even lost a couple of pounds. Does that mean if the power stays off another month I can lose a size without going to the gym? I may be tough, but I think I'll take AC and the treadmill !

Still powerless in The Westbury, but a few houses have power on nearby streets. Centerpoint says our zip code is at 76%.

Regarding toughness: I have no desire to be tough. I want high speed internet, DTS surround sound, 57" TV, Mario Kart, pints of ice cream in the freezer, clean laundry and cold air blowing up my ass 24/7. Sweating all night in a house designed for central air doesn't increase my self-esteem. I know people lived here before AC and electric lights, but I also know they adopted these modern conveniences as soon as they could afford to. I know intellectually that they even procreated under these circumstances, but I can't imagine how they pulled that off.

Work is open again, so I don't have to haunt the FMB's office. We bought a battery powered DVD player to watch Top Gear and these sweet Coleman flourescent lanterns to read by. Everything is charging up here at work with me.

I can't wait for electricity to return to my house.

Still powerless in The Westbury, but a few houses have power on nearby streets. Centerpoint says our zip code is at 76%.

Regarding toughness: I have no desire to be tough. I want high speed internet, DTS surround sound, 57" TV, Mario Kart, pints of ice cream in the freezer, clean laundry and cold air blowing up my ass 24/7. Sweating all night in a house designed for central air doesn't increase my self-esteem. I know people lived here before AC and electric lights, but I also know they adopted these modern conveniences as soon as they could afford to. I know intellectually that they even procreated under these circumstances, but I can't imagine how they pulled that off.

Work is open again, so I don't have to haunt the FMB's office. We bought a battery powered DVD player to watch Top Gear and these sweet Coleman flourescent lanterns to read by. Everything is charging up here at work with me.

Hang in there. I know things will improve soon. My date was Thursday for power restoration and lights came back on last night (no comfort to you I am sure), so I think Centerpoint is running a bit ahead of schedule.

Be well.

I know intellectually that they even procreated under these circumstances, but I can't imagine how they pulled that off.

It requires a few more cold showers and a willingess to get creative if you want to preserve clean linens. :D

Oh, don't get me wrong, I want the sweet sweet cold of AC, too.

We were without power for 4 days, and I didn't mind one second of it. Also didn't go get ice, we just cooked some stuff and were done with it. Milk? We buy that every week anyway, who cares. By the time we bummed a cord from the neighbor's generator for the fridge, all it did was cool drinks and make ice (margaritas are possible without ice, but just not as good). BUT, like I said, only 4 days, and I know it started to warm up after Monday-Tuesday. I would have whined about being hot, but not much else bothered me. I got a few extra days of playing with the 20thStBaby, which was well worth it to me. She could care less if we didn't have electricity.

The only downside is that I drank in 4 days what I typically drink in a month, so I need to go stock up again.

Don't leave your chargers at work unsecured. I know someone who made that mistake.

They're laying what looks like heavy duty linoleum atop the Chase garage. I wonder if the previous topping contained gravel contributing to the damage of the tower and surrounding buildings. All I know is that before the next storm they'd better get out the Spic 'n Span and mop that floor up good.

No doubt electricity TV refridgerators and DSL are nice. My only point is that when 60 percent of the population is powerless a whiner on TV just sounds like a whiner. We are all in this mess. Just tough it out.

Headline in the paper said electric rates will go up to pay for this. Something to consider while the lights are out is how much power you really need once the lights come back on. My renewal date is Thursday and the renewal rate is up 1 cent since last week and 3.6 cents over last year...almost 30 percent.

Note to crunch...I hear ya on the cleaning. I found out it takes less effort to dry mop than to use a bulky vacuum. The old fashioned way is easier!

The only downside is that I drank in 4 days what I typically drink in a month, so I need to go stock up again.

Power restored at approximately 8:40 this evening. The AC says the temp is 80, and it feels like paradise after a shower. Hoping the the rest of my friends are so lucky!

Hey Dad, is that the excited 'daddy doesn't have to go to work' baby? Very cute!

I hear you on the drinks re-supply. The next trip to Specs is going to be a chunk o change.

Power restored at approximately 8:40 this evening. The AC says the temp is 80, and it feels like paradise after a shower. Hoping the the rest of my friends are so lucky!

Hey Dad, is that the excited 'daddy doesn't have to go to work' baby? Very cute!

I hear you on the drinks re-supply. The next trip to Specs is going to be a chunk o change.

Glad I am not the only one who has been drinking a bit extra.... but seriously... what the heck else we supposed to do!!??!! ha ha ha I am at work tonight... so it's just soda. ^_^

I thought you were going to be a "comrade in electriclessness", but you have succumbed to the seduction of lights and conditioned air. I will continue my crusade of darkness alone. :)

Just got back from Europe and we have partial electricity.. which means lights and ceiling fans going sloooow.. but no big stuff like a refrigerator or computer or A/C.. the only thing is it is difficult to feed a kid and a baby charcoal-warmed food.. so we are staying with family who do have electricity.. :P

House fared better than I expected.. actually.. other than getting some water blown through the door seals.. all seems well.. I just need my internet!! grr.. is Waldo's open?

Power was restored Sunday and it felt so good! I feel for those whose power is still out. It's nothing compared to what others are going through, but it's tough. Closest I've ever been to camping. That reminds me, I have a cocoon of some sort growing on my bedroom ceiling and I'm scared of it. It has something inside of it. I'm getting chills just thinking about it. I think it's there because the windows had been open almost constantly for over a week.

One thing that made me uncomfortable was not having a working alarm.

I thought you were going to be a "comrade in electriclessness", but you have succumbed to the seduction of lights and conditioned air. I will continue my crusade of darkness alone. :)

You certainly are not alone. Especially not here.

BTW, I have several friends and relatives from The Heights to north Houston that still do not have lights.

That reminds me, I have a cocoon of some sort growing on my bedroom ceiling and I'm scared of it. It has something inside of it. I'm getting chills just thinking about it. I think it's there because the windows had been open almost constantly for over a week.

Ewww! Remove it before it hatches... or molts... or metamorphosizes... or whatever it is going to do!

Sorry. I react like a prissy little girl to bugs. Some kind of atavistic fear.

That reminds me, I have a cocoon of some sort growing on my bedroom ceiling and I'm scared of it. It has something inside of it. I'm getting chills just thinking about it. I think it's there because the windows had been open almost constantly for over a week.

Maybe it's a bagworm...we have these all over outside.

bagworm_juniperlg.jpg

Bagworms (Thyridopteryx ephemeraeformis) can be serious pests, especially in landscapes. Beginning in late May through mid-June, larvae of this native moth feed on arborvitae, junipers, pines, spruces, and many deciduous trees. Larvae build loose silken bags which cover their entire bodies. Bags are camouflaged with pieces of plant material, and may be mistaken for natural parts of the tree. Females do not look like moths (no wings, legs, antennae, eyes, or mouthparts) and remain in silken bags throughout their entire lives. When larvae are fully grown, their protective bag is 1.0 to 1.5 inch long. In late summer, male moths (black, with nearly clear wings approximately 1 inch across), emerge from their bags after pupation. One generation occurs per year.

As companies evaluate their offshore assets and begin to report on their findings, it is quickly becoming apparent that Ike has dealt a harsh blow the Gulf of Mexico rig fleet. Thus far, 3 jack-ups and 1 platform rig have apparently been lost. In addition, another jack-up has lost if drilling package and derrick, and two others suffered damages while in the shipyard. Four moored semisubmersibles sustained damage to their mooring systems and submersible rig was pushed off of its prestorm location. This is a list that has been reported as of today. Don't know if anyone cares but I felt it was relevant. FWIW

ENSCO 74

ENSCO

375' ILC jack-up

Commissioned 1999

$84 million

Rig missing - probable total loss

Pride Wyoming

Pride

250' MS jack-up

Commissioned 1976

$26 million

Rowan Anchorage

Rowan

250' ILS jack-up

Commissioned 1972

$9 million

Ocean Tower

Diamond

350' ILC jack-up

Commissioned 1972

$10 million

Lost drilling package, including derrick

Mad Dog

Pride / BP

Platform Rig

Commissioned 2004

$165 Million

Derrick collapsed & sunk

Transocean Marianas

Transocean

7,000' Semi-sub

Commissioned 1998

$224 million

Broke moorings & set adrift

Noble Amos Runner

Noble

8,000' Semi-sub

Commissioned 1999

$152 million

Noble Paul Romano

Noble

6,000' Semi-sub

Commissioned 1998

$118 million

Noble Lorris Bouzigard

Noble

4,000' Semi-sub

Commissioned 1975

$31 million

Mooring system damaged, maintained station

Hercules 78

Hercules

85' Submersible

Commissioned 1983

$34 million

Moved 600' during storm

Rowan Mississippi

Rowan

400' ILC jack-up

Commissioned 2008

$165 million

Struck by vessel in shipyard, not expected to delay delivery

Blake 208

Blake Offshore

250' MC jack-up

Commissioned 1977

Damaged in shipyard while being repaired, may delay availability.

I feel bad for you guys! I got "I hate you" looks from my coworkers Monday when I let it slip that I've had power all week. It's about the only time living on a semi-industrial treeless thoroughfare is a positive. My uncle's place two blocks away in Eastwood is still in the dark. Huge tree was blocking Cullen and had wires all around it.

Nearly 10,000 Truck Loads of Debris Collected in the City of Houston Since Hurricane Ike

The City of Houston, with the assistance of its contractors and mutual aid assistance from cities such as San Antonio, Dallas, Fort Worth and Austin, has collected more than 9,923 truck loads (411,825 cubic yards) of storm debris between Sunday, September 14th and Monday, September 22, 2008.

With more than 800 trucks and loaders hitting the streets, the collection is expected to increase to 100,000 cubic yards of storm debris collected per day, an amount equal to what the city Solid Waste Management Department typically collects in one month.

No power at my place in Timbergrove but we are in the distinct minority as most people around us now have it.

There is an army of line teams out from Dominion, the electric utility in Virginia, all over the neighborhood today, though, so maybe they're finally getting to the individual 5-6 customer pole level. We'll see what happens.

Day 11 without power....

I am now driven to be the last customer hooked back up to the grid. There must be some kind of Guiness record that I can get for this, right?

I am wondering why I missed having the TV for a week and a half. After only 2 days of TV, powered by the neighbor's extension cord, I have disconnected it and hooked up the computer instead. Besides, I think the computer and monitor sucks less juice than a TV and DirecTV box. And the fan is more effective on the bedroom side of the house, which has less direct airflow, than the living room side of the house, which has a shotgun style front to back door ventilation path.

All perishables have been banned from the house. I could live for months this way now. Even Cokes have been banished, as warm fizzy drinks do not stay fizzy long. The Captain Morgan is now mixed with Cran-Grape. Arrgh! Not only good, but good for you!

My internet time has generally been split between news of Ike, news of the impending meltdown of the US (and possibly world) economy, and best of all, energy efficient devices for the next power outage. I will start a new topic soon with some of the ideas, products and solutions to surviving without electricity. As one might guess, air conditioning/humidity is the most problematic, and most energy intensive issue. Hopefully, my new topic will generate a viable solution that does not include a generator.

A note on the gensets. It appears that the whole-house generators can cost up to $75-100 PER DAY to run. At least, that is my neighbor's estimate. The gas and diesel portables burn about a gallon per hour, meaning that they too cost $75 a day to run gas, $100 a day to run diesel. Clearly, the solution is to manage generator usage to run far less than 24 hours per day, or to get by without one, my personal preference.

I've just about run out of clean clothes. I may need to include a clothes line in the back yard in my survival plans. Anyone done any hand washing? Better in the kitchen sink or the bathtub? :rolleyes:

That's all for now. To those still without power, hang in there. To those with power, you suck! :D (j/k)

Archived