Finger Furniture

musicman

Finger Furniture Changing Its Name To Ashley Furniture Homestores

The Fingers name will no longer grace furniture stores in Houston.

As part of a corporate re-positioning, Fingers Furniture said today it will transform its Fingers-branded stores into Ashley Furniture HomeStores by the end of March.

Those stores are in Willowbrook, Sugar Land, Humble and on the Gulf Freeway.

To prepare for the changes, Fingers will close its stores Aug. 18-20 as it plans to liquidate $40 million of in-store and warehouse inventory,.

All Fingers stores will open for normal business hours Aug. 21, kicking off the liquidation sale.

full article

That is sad news. Alot of people grew up with furniture from Fingers. I had a bedroom suite that was white with these cool inserts on the drawers that I could change out from yellow to green. Also had my first stereo from there. I remember one of my home and family classes in high school took a field trip to Fingers. I loved the way they arranged their furniture in the different rooms of the store. Unfortunately, I have not been to Fingers in many years. I'm not very impressed with Ashley Furniture.

That is sad news. Alot of people grew up with furniture from Fingers. I had a bedroom suite that was white with these cool inserts on the drawers that I could change out from yellow to green. Also had my first stereo from there. I remember one of my home and family classes in high school took a field trip to Fingers. I loved the way they arranged their furniture in the different rooms of the store. Unfortunately, I have not been to Fingers in many years. I'm not very impressed with Ashley Furniture.

I wonder if Finger's plans to remodel the Gulf location. Obviously, the sign will change.

I wonder if Finger's plans to remodel the Gulf location. Obviously, the sign will change.

I just know that they will be making a big mistake if they ever close that local. With all the ressurgence/boom in this area it would be a crazy error. :mellow:

There the commercials that air now, feature a nephew or son of that now deceased gentleman. I could swear he breifly says how he is related. Ashley does sound corny but it could be worse.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/5952051.html

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...ml?surround=lfn

Looks like the old Finger store and warehouse at Cullen and the Gulf Freeway is getting torn down, rebuilt as a multitenant shopping center, and as though Ashley Furniture HomeStores will be a new anchor.

I was just getting ready to post the same story. The good bits were buried down at the very bottom of the story.

Funny, no mention of the dreaded development-killing Magnolia Glen. Apparently the homeless facility will not deter progress on a major new multi-tenant center directly next door.

Sure am really glad we just bought a living room couch set at a hell of a great price! Just in the nick of time too.

Another Houston Icon bites the dust. There's something blowin in the wind.

Someone save that Buff Stadium Homeplate they have on display inside please! :o

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/5952051.html

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...ml?surround=lfn

Looks like the old Finger store and warehouse at Cullen and the Gulf Freeway is getting torn down, rebuilt as a multitenant shopping center, and as though Ashley Furniture HomeStores will be a new anchor.

In all my years living in the East End, I never shopped at Finger's. From what I hear, the furniture was overpriced and the customer service was terrible. The Gulf structure is outdated and no visual evidence of connecting with the community (donate to East End charities, schools, development??) Since IKEA moved in, it's future looked grim. Sad to see it go after 81 years. Long history with East End. I hope they somehow save the Buff museum and home plate.

I just know that they will be making a big mistake if they ever close that local. With all the ressurgence/boom in this area it would be a crazy error. :mellow:
The massive 250,000-square-foot Gulf Freeway property will be redeveloped as a multi-tenant center, Rodney Finger said.

:(

Full story from the Chron

Wonder what's going to happen to home plate? Better get over there to pay a visit before it's too late.

There the commercials that air now, feature a nephew or son of that now deceased gentleman. I could swear he breifly says how he is related. Ashley does sound corny but it could be worse.

The article states that they are shrinking it and the building will go multi-tenant. Perhaps it holds out hope for more amenities on Cullen!

The article states that they are shrinking it and the building will go multi-tenant. Perhaps it holds out hope for more amenities on Cullen!

Hopefully so. At least we know there won't be a mattress store going in, lol.

Unless, of course, Ashley doesn't sell mattresses like Fingers always has.

In all my years living in the East End, I never shopped at Finger's. From what I hear, the furniture was overpriced and the customer service was terrible. The Gulf structure is outdated and no visual evidence of connecting with the community (donate to East End charities, schools, development??) Since IKEA moved in, it's future looked grim. Sad to see it go after 81 years. Long history with East End. I hope they somehow save the Buff museum and home plate.

Yes. Finger's have the worst customer service. From the bottom all the way to the top. It's no sad thing that Finger's is no longer representing our fine city.

The best news of all of this is the reconfiguration of the Gulf Freeway facility. From the outside that place looks like it fell through a wormhole from 1962! It'd be nice to actually have a few stores or restaurants there, and anything there will certainly get lots of business from Eastwood and the University. Can't wait for the renders.

The so called "Bargain Basement" had pretty much become a dumping ground for really damaged furniture and items that were so ugly or made of Blah, pressed particle board. Thats when I knew the end was near. Who knows maybe this living room couch set will explode in a few weeks?

All you would find in the back were broken mirrors/picture frames and butt yooogly colored stuff.

In all honestly, you have to know that these kinds of buildings were only meant to "sell furniture" not become a historic monument one day. Imagine the hell raising that must have went on when they decided to tear down Buff Stadium just build a ugh.. hmm.. common Furniture Store?

So here we are 60 plus years later and right back where we started.

Double Oy Vey & Santo Cielo! :unsure:

Hate to see that bldg. go, I like to walk thru time-warp bldgs. The doors were interesting, and the lobby floor, steps, the whole layout of the bldg. was unique. There was also a smaller version of that bldg. in Pasadena, recently met it's demise, as well. Anyone know how long before demolition? Can understand they need to turn a profit, to stay in business. But to drop such a big name in Houston, don't think that's very smart, and for Ashley. No,no,no. IMO, they should have worked on customer service & furniture delivery turn around time more. They should honor the history of the Finger name (original Finger's architecture found all over old Houston) and/or that land, in some way, with the baseball memorabilia. Finger Plaza or Buff Plaza... hope it's tastefully done. :(

Are they actually tearing the building down? The article said the building was to be redeveloped...is that code for tear-down? I'm fine with it, but assumed they would just carve up the space, clean it up a bit, and add some tenants.

Says redeveloped, my bet is that it will be completely redone, new structure walls. Guess we will have to wait & see.

Anyone know anything about the original Finger store/warehouse? When was it originally built? I think I recently saw a pic of a much older Fingers brick bldg. (on that site) that predated the 1960's present Gulf Frwy. store design.

The whole Ashley Furniture "look" reminds me of fine looking trailer homes, maybe double wide.

So what happens to the guy in the commercial? Is the company not in his "fingers" anymore?

He (Bobby Finger) died recently from pancreatic cancer, same as Marvin Z.

Says redeveloped, my bet is that it will be completely redone, new structure walls. Guess we will have to wait & see.

Anyone know anything about the original Finger store/warehouse? When was it originally built? I think I recently saw a pic of a much older Fingers brick bldg. (on that site) that predated the 1960's present Gulf Frwy. store design.

That previous building was up the freeway on the corner of Ennis. It got torn down just a few years ago. It was pretty well hidden from veiw because of the double stacked freeway lanes along this part. Star Furniture operated out of that building for awhile in the 60's and 70's.

Here is a short story from Houston Business Journal 11/4/06. Poor man had just been named President, who could have known of his untimely demise. -_-

Rodney S. Finger has been named president of Finger Furniture Co., a position formerly held by his father, Robert S. Finger.

A fourth generation of the Finger family to hold this management position at the 80-year-old retail furniture company, Rodney Finger will lead the company as it consolidates its two existing warehouse and distribution centers, relocates its corporate office and opens three new stores.

Robert Finger will remain chairman of the board and CEO of the Houston-based company.

During his 11 years with the company, Rodney Finger has held management positions in credit and customer service serving as a store manager, bedding buyer, assistant to the president and most recently as chief operating officer and executive vice president.

Family owned and operated since it was founded in 1927 by Robert Finger's grandfather, Sam Finger, Finger Furniture is known for setting a number of retailing benchmarks during its storied history.

Most notably, Robert Finger's father, Sammy Finger, was the first to introduce the environmental room setting concept of merchandising when it opened the Finger's Magnificent Furniture Center in 1965.

Finger Furniture currently operates six stores in the Houston area and ranks 34th on the list of Top 100 U.S. furniture stores.

The retailer estimates it has sold goods to more than half of the households in Houston.

"Without question, we've mapped out the most aggressive growth plan in the history of the company to more than double our business," said Robert Finger.

Earlier this year, Finger Furniture announced plans to open several 100,000-square-foot stores in Houston by 2009.

In May 2007, the company will consolidate its two existing warehouses and distribution centers into a new 500,000-square-foot distribution facility in the Sugar Land Business Park, capable of housing more than $50 million in inventory.

The Sugar Land facility more than doubles the number of bays found at the company's two current warehouses and distribution centers.

Rodney Finger says the facility will allow the retailer to house more inventory, move merchandise faster and deliver a better product to customers with more same-day and next-day delivery.

Hate to see that bldg. go, I like to walk thru time-warp bldgs. The doors were interesting, and the lobby floor, steps, the whole layout of the bldg. was unique. There was also a smaller version of that bldg. in Pasadena, recently met it's demise, as well. Anyone know how long before demolition? Can understand they need to turn a profit, to stay in business. But to drop such a big name in Houston, don't think that's very smart, and for Ashley. No,no,no. IMO, they should have worked on customer service & furniture delivery turn around time more. They should honor the history of the Finger name (original Finger's architecture found all over old Houston) and/or that land, in some way, with the baseball memorabilia. Finger Plaza or Buff Plaza... hope it's tastefully done. :(

I may stop by tomorrow to visit the museum and get a pic of home plate ... :)

Any kind of Super-Flagship grocery store would be very much welcomed. The nearby Kroger is so outdated and small so we desperatley need more alternative choices.

Can have food/wine etc from all around the world. With all of the new developement so near young people will want whats most modern and current. Build it! I command thee! :D

Archived