I-45 At Wayside

Doesn't TXDOT have anything better to do with tax dollars? Makes me want to puke everytime I see these colors. Will this devalue the property nearby?

Thats one of the worst things I have ever seen. I see someone has already roped off a spot to park a Taco Truck, you know the early bird gets the worm (after he drinks all the Tequila).

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Makes me want to puke everytime I see these colors. Will this devalue the properties nearby?

All you have to do is read the numerous posts by everyone that couldnt help but notice this mess. If they described their utter disdane for it, so would anyone looking to buy a home around here. Imagine you are new to Houston and drove by and saw this thing? What would be the first thing that pops up in your mind?

If this would have been done in River Oaks or Galleria area there would be news articles and City Hall protests galore. Everyone up in arms. As they stated here and in other related topics of this trash it has truly stereotyped the "hood". Pass the tequila shot compadres! :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

Well, maybe the bright colors will grab the attention of motorists so that they won't hit the columns while on their cellular phones.

Seriously, I don't particularly care for it. I've noticed on I-45 from Almeda-Genoa to the Galveston causeway, new bridges and some old bridges are getting a new paint scheme treatment. I've noticed it on the new NASA RD 1 bypass, sections of 288 south of Clear Creek and 146 near Texas City, maybe it's some sort of TxDOT Gulf Coast Area Highway theme?

Here's a photo of what I'm talking about. I think this scheme would be more comfortable for your viewing pleasure than what's there now.

nasa1_20071223_IMG_0085.jpg

That's slightly better than the monotonous TxDOT beige they've put on every Houston freeway since 1975.

• 4 months later...

With the completion of both brand new shopping centers across from each other on this very spot, this overpass will appear even more outdated and decrepid and these gaudy colors only make it stand out that much more. :wacko:

The overpass itself now seems to be lower than ever. Maybe someone out there with Texas Highway Commission or whatever, will see our angst and demolish and make a new higher one? and with no nail polish colors....

I know have another sip. Rats.

take a drive by at night, you can get a tan with the bright lights they've installed.

I recall Mary Margaret Hanson, the former president of the GEEMD, saying that it was to deter people sleeping under the overpass. If it works, perhaps we can get those lights installed at Cullen as well. :)

I recall Mary Margaret Hanson, the former president of the GEEMD, saying that it was to deter people sleeping under the overpass. If it works, perhaps we can get those lights installed at Cullen as well. :)

yep let's move them INTO the neighborhoods.

It is quite bizarre as you drive under at night.

They could place a stage and big velvet curtains so when the play begins you get a quick glimpse of the show as you wait for the red light to change.

Its very theatrical or Broadway-like. Maybe we can all see Annie Get Your Pistola? :)

• 3 weeks later...

The underpass at Beltway 8 & Richmond has nice modern sconces, yes sconces at appears like what you see in a hotel or resort. Whats up East End?

Sort of look like these:

OutDoorSconcesChRTrail.jpg Maybe we should install underpass chandliers? have someone playing piano while you wait for lights to change? :lol:

The underpass at Beltway 8 & Richmond has nice modern sconces, yes sconces at appears like what you see in a hotel or resort. Whats up East End?

Sort of look like these:

OutDoorSconcesChRTrail.jpg Maybe we should install underpass chandliers? have someone playing piano while you wait for lights to change? :lol:

Yes, the West Loop project got to check ALL the upgrade boxes!

As for underpass piano players, I insist that nothing detract from the guy who keeps his dog in a wheelchair!

Oh, dear. They've done this to the Harrisburg underpass, too. I didn't know the "signature gateways" project meant "randomly slap on clearance paint from Olshan in colors that would make Liberace gag."

Looks like Houston needs a new exterior decorator/ landscape architect. What's wrong with this city? This is just downright Embarassing!

Looks like Houston needs a new exterior decorator/ landscape architect. What's wrong with this city? This is just downright Embarassing!

You would have to really believe the ones deciding on these bad results are young untalented students or people that have NEVER set foot in Houston and are designing at a desk or table in a foreign country or (prison cell). :lol:

I still say Fiesta Food chain was the inspiration for the tackiness and guadiness of these terrible elements. Dont be surprised if you see permanent pinatas hanging soon. lol

I heard there are daily cock fights under the bridge now from 9a.m.-12p.m. and 3-5p.m., the three hour break being for siesta.

There will also be vendors present selling sombreros, ponchos and maracas

COSTUME_WEB_SenorSombrero.jpg

Tequila

b016-worm-0305n_03-16-2005_IS4SDSQ.jpg

and tacos

astoria-el-rey-taco-truck.jpg

And, if you get too drunk, Jose's Taxi Service is available with seating for 15.

746572859_d75b9b8fe8.jpg

Enjoy, everyone! :)

my friends often joke of the mercury lamps you see as you get close to hobby just prior to landing. Its WT at its best...thats what the lights remind me of, a bunch of cheap mercury lamps...now we just need some pit bulls to chain up.

Having grown up in Meadowbrook Freeway, attended church at Queen of Peace and then moved to Washington for my dose of aesthetics, I see your complaints and raise them.

I am presently disgusted by the optics of 45, disgusted to the point of activism from afar. This is something that deters me from ever wanting to move back to where I was raised. That

Oh well, I think the colors are pretty. When Albuquerque redid their major "I" interchange on I-40, they used southwest colors of pink, blue and green and everyone thinks they look great. Tucson has these colors also. Who wants plain grey????

I heard there are daily cock fights under the bridge now from 9a.m.-12p.m. and 3-5p.m., the three hour break being for siesta.

There will also be vendors present selling sombreros, ponchos and maracas

COSTUME_WEB_SenorSombrero.jpg

Tequila

b016-worm-0305n_03-16-2005_IS4SDSQ.jpg

and tacos

astoria-el-rey-taco-truck.jpg

And, if you get too drunk, Jose's Taxi Service is available with seating for 15.

746572859_d75b9b8fe8.jpg

Enjoy, everyone! :)

That's the exit I get off of everyday going to work. (coming in from the opposite side of the city). Person I ride with likes the "vibrant" colors. I just shake my head. You want light, you have it there.

By the way, as long as I have been travelling that route I have yet to see any of the above, although almost daily we do see the window washers with their pails and squeeges.

That's the exit I get off of everyday going to work. (coming in from the opposite side of the city). Person I ride with likes the "vibrant" colors. I just shake my head. You want light, you have it there.

By the way, as long as I have been travelling that route I have yet to see any of the above, although almost daily we do see the window washers with their pails and squeeges.

You will see that taco truck where Oshman's retail outlet store once was. Building still stands but has become an eyesore to that area especially once the old Holiday Inn went under. It seems there are laws that should prevent anyone from just pulling up and popping out a business on wheels on private property. Apparently if no one complains anything goes such has been the blackeye to the East End for decades now. :angry: Our only hope is if and when these new shopping strips open on that corner they will run off these taqueria on wheels gypsies. Another however...as long as those south of the border bus depots are just down the street (Wayside) these yoogly type of cheesy eateries/vendors will hang around.

What happened to our health dept patrols? We sure miss old Marvin Zindler! -_-

You will see that taco truck where Oshman's retail outlet store once was. Building still stands but has become an eyesore to that area especially once the old Holiday Inn went under. It seems there are laws that should prevent anyone from just pulling up and popping out a business on wheels on private property. Apparently if no one complains anything goes such has been the blackeye to the East End for decades now. :angry: Our only hope is if and when these new shopping strips open on that corner they will run off these taqueria on wheels gypsies. Another however...as long as those south of the border bus depots are just down the street (Wayside) these yoogly type of cheesy eateries/vendors will hang around.

Maybe you should move to another city. Taco trucks are one of the best features of Houston.

Archived