Market Square Area

midtown_resident

Some interesting info on the upcoming Les Givrals on Main Street Square. I emailed them asking when the new downtown location would open and this is what they said.

That spot that is getting an uplift won't be Les Givrals. It looks like it is going to be a little clothing shop or something. The sign on the window I saw today said "Choice Point". I googled it but didn't come up with anything in relation to clothing, however the sign said it would be a petite clothing shop or something.

Maybe the old Sakowitz building? I guess American Apparel fell through. Too bad.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What makes you say that?

Well it was supposed to open in the Fall of 2007, and it is December 27th with no signs of anything happening in that building. I thought that they may be just holding out until the Pavilions open, but the post above says that Les Givrals was bidding for the space in that building, so I am assuming American Apparel bailed. Hopefully not, though.

Well it was supposed to open in the Fall of 2007, and it is December 27th with no signs of anything happening in that building. I thought that they may be just holding out until the Pavilions open, but the post above says that Les Givrals was bidding for the space in that building, so I am assuming American Apparel bailed. Hopefully not, though.

There is plenty of room for both. American Apparel's location in the building is only about 18% of the available retail space, according to Wulfe's site plan.

• 10 months later...

I noticed today that signage has been installed on the building next to La Carafe. "Cafe Adiago" I did a quick search and found that it was to have live music and fine food. I'm don't know when it opens.

Does anybody have any details on this.

BTW - I love Les Givrals Viet food next door.

• 11 months later...

The Les Givral people are opening a new place between their Mkt Sq restaurant and La Carafe. It going to be called ERA. The sign on the top of that building says Cafe Adagio, but I don't think that venture ever got off the ground. Anyway, the card I saw said dining and entertainment. It also had a picture of a cool round outdoor bar. I'm not sure where they would have an outside component, unless they did something with the roof.

• 5 years later...

I could have busted this up in to four or five already in progress threads, but I didn't, so sorry about all that.

In no particular order...

- It looks like they have valet parking set up in the International Tower lot/block, I would presume for the displaced JPM/Chase folks since their garage took some damage from the demo of Houston Club.

- Daily parking is now being sold in the Chronicle garage. $7 per, not a bad deal.

- The 412 Main (State National Bank) work is progressing nicely, folks are using the empty, soon to be Hines tower lot for trucks and trailers and whatnot fairly regularly on that project. Makes me wonder if they have an agreement to use the land until they finish the exterior work (looks like clean/paint) after which the tower construction will start.

- Lots of steel going in at the other condo/apartment tower site deep in the hole for the foundation

- The old El Tiempo location on Main @ Prairie has a TABC application poster in the window, so it looks like someone is opening a new bar.

That's all.

- It looks like they have valet parking set up in the International Tower lot/block, I would presume for the displaced JPM/Chase folks since their garage took some damage from the demo of Houston Club.

That garage, for The Privileged Few With The Amazing Undying Parking Deal, is valet only (as was the Houston Club parking).  IIRC the remaining side of the building only has an elevator between the ground floor and the tunnel - Heaven forfend that TPFWTAUPD actually be required to use (gasp!!!) stairs.

During drive times it's amusing to watch the golf carts with car porters going so smoothly up and down the outside ramps - it almost looks like some sort of motorized display from the old Foley's Christmas time windows.

That garage, for The Privileged Few With The Amazing Undying Parking Deal, is valet only (as was the Houston Club parking).  IIRC the remaining side of the building only has an elevator between the ground floor and the tunnel - Heaven forfend that TPFWTAUPD actually be required to use (gasp!!!) stairs.

During drive times it's amusing to watch the golf carts with car porters going so smoothly up and down the outside ramps - it almost looks like some sort of motorized display from the old Foley's Christmas time windows.

I look forward to seeing the pop-up porte corchere and lines of limo busses when it rains. TAUPD is truly an amazing piece of work, it should be framed on an attorney's wall.

• 4 years later...

So this is all speculation and conjecture, but the topic came up in the Preston project's discussion, so I thought I would start a new topic.

With the area developing a nice, wealthy residential presence, what does the future hold for this area in terms of street life? Here are some of my thoughts:

- Currently the nightlife in this area is high. Tons of bars, clubs, and party people come out at night

- I see a disconnect with a renter who is paying 2K+ per bedroom and an area that is predominantly a party scene

- very few hard retail options exist (CVS and one small shop)

- very few lifestyle stores like gyms / yoga studios / coffee shops, currently exist (Boomtown I guess and Ryde)

Personally, I would like the area to calm down some and have a healthier mix of stores. I was hoping an apple store would come in one of the buildings downtown.

Do y'all thing the bar scene / nightlife scene will continue to grow? Do you think that with time there will be an eventual balance achieved? Or do you think the bar and club scene will completely shift to a new area (somewhere else downtown or midtown).

Interested in hearing y'alls thoughts!

I'm thinking it will calm down into the elegant nightlife scene - it has the high rent residents, next to Art (opera, symphony, theatre), and the downtown rents are probably more payable long-term with fancy cocktails

That being said, they better not touch Frank's pizza

As I have said in the past, I think it will settle down some. The bar scene is always moving. I think the warehouse area east of Hutchins St Emauel will eventually become a

hot spot. There is such a collection of old buildings many sitting empty now but as things heat up in Eado, and especially if the freeway does come through it will have to grow further east.

I think with time more retail service type spaces will open in the Market Square area. Who knows how long it will take. This is the third time in my life that this area has been the party scene. 

There’s a fair amount of upscale bars already in the area that coexist with the more lively bars. 

Upscale cocktail bars that are relaxed

Spare Key

Public services

tongue cut sparrow

Upscale cocktail bars that are crowded 

bad news bar

pastry war 

I think Main Street will remain a hive for nightlife activity regardless. I do see that Market Square will shift to higher dining experiences.

@Avossos I do agree with the circle on that map you showed that this will be the next landing space for most of the heavy/hardhitting club activity. More space to branch out with new concepts, and less fuss from residents in general. There was that one club, BauHaus, that just opened in Southern Downtown which is in the middle of no-mans land. Its possible that club activity could shift that direction as well. So much empty space and cheap space in older underutilized buildings.

As far as hard goods. Lets see what happens when Houston Center finishes their refresh. I went by the other day and it looks like they are already doing work inside The Shops. I also think that we need a couple more midrise residential before we get anything. But who knows.

I'll tell you what though, that block of Main, Prairie, Fannin, and Preston is a prime spot to place larger retail tenant or grocer with apartments on top. No clue why nobody has jumped on that.

Archived