Market Square Area

midtown_resident

My friend from Fetosoap.com posted the message below on her blog. Hopefully this new promotion will be successful.

Market Square Market Call for Vendors

My Dear Vendors,

This Saturday June 30 there is a special event happening in Market Square Park.

The event is an urban adventure race with an expected attendance of 300 to 400

participants and spectators in the park during the day, and is sponsored by

Chipotle and Red Bull.

I encourage every one of you to take advantage of this opportunity and come out

to the Market and display your wares to an enhanced audience. The weather is

cooling off a bit and there is no rain expected.

Remember, there is no booth fee - you only pay 10% of gross sales at the end of

the day. Please call or email if you are interested.

Thank you.

David Kozowski

Market Square Market

Saturdays 9-5

Monday through Friday 10-2

Friday & Saturday 6-midnight

713-817-7181

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Very interesting discussion.

I just happened across this website a few days ago and have really enjoyed reading it and communicating on the topic of Houston with other Houstonians.

About a month ago, I was looking for something different to do and found the Market Square Market noted on the Houston.Citysearch website.

So, my husband and I drove downtown that Saturday and got to Market Square around 1130. I figured right around lunchtime would be a great time to go.

There were two booths, and as far as I could tell from our "drive-by" they were selling hot dogs or some other kind of grab it & go food.

Boy was I disappointed and glad that I had decided we should drive by before parking! But experience has told me that you can't believe everything you read on the internet! I figured there was a 50/50 chance there really WOULD be a market there but we went hoping for the best.

So, as a shopper/suburban dweller (I live in Maplewood South, just west of Meyerland), here's my take on this.

1. You can't run this kind of market in that kind of location without A LOT of advertising and a LOT of participants/booths. It's not that no one will go downtown for this kind of thing, but very few people will just happen to be driving by and decide to stop in -- which is the case with lots of other locations in Houston. Example, Bellaire has a craft show periodically on their esplanade. I don't know how much they advertise it, I've never seen anything except the on-site signs heralding the event a few days in advance. But that place is way crowded and I'm willing to bet there are a lot of people who just happen to be driving by and see it.

2. I do wonder who actually organized this. Because the fact that houston.citysearch still shows this as an event on their calendar when it's obviously no longer going has a definite negative effect. Ok, I'm probably one of a very few, but we did drive downtown specifically for that market, and it will take a lot of convincing to get us down there again if the market ever does actually start up again.

I agree that a revitalization of downtown would be so wonderful, but I think it's going to take some powerful advertising and some really great ongoing events to make people drive there on the weekends. Listen, people drive downtown for theatre, symphony, opera, etc. on a regular basis! The right things do attract folks. Ya just gotta make sure people know about it!

2. I do wonder who actually organized this. Because the fact that houston.citysearch still shows this as an event on their calendar when it's obviously no longer going has a definite negative effect.

I am on the Downtown Mgmt Assoc. ditro list, and I got an email just last Friday advertising this event.

So it's not just city search. Even the DMA thiks its still going.

But trust me folks, it's the heat.

I am new to this site and group, but I am not new to the Ciiy of Houston or the warehouse district. I have a warehouse at the corner of Nance, Hardy and Mckee Street. We opened a Equipment Rental Business at that location in the 70's. I Retired the business in 2001 due to adversity caused by the Allison Floods and the nature of the beast. It is time to return to city and renew and revieve my business.

The McKee Street Market

Coming This Fall ! The McKee Street Market. This Fall we will offer a Street Market in the Arts / Warehouse District . ... Email : info@mckeestreetmarket.com. ...mckeestreetmarket.com/

www.mckeestreetmarket.com

This site is under construction.

Pat

If you watch how nature deals with adversity, continually renewing itself, you can't help but learn."

Bernie Siegel, MD

Doctor, Author and Lecturer

:D

<_< I am sorry for posting the last post on this site promoting my business. I will leave the group and sign in again as a new memberi n a few days. I was excited when I found this site and read the first post at the Market Square Market. Then I posted my stuff. Later I began to read everyones postings and realized what iI had done.

What is Discouraged:

Blatant commercial or promotional postings.

later

McKee. While I would agree that normally we don't like commercial bragging (we had one here recently), yours seems to be ok, if for no other reason than it's a local guy trying to do the stuff we want more of.

So, tell us more about what you're trying to do, and we'll try to help you make it work. Houston has enough furniture salesmen, but not near enough street markets.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I was checking out the hours for the Market Square location, and it says "Main Street Square: Coming Soon". Does anybody know if this is recent? Is it still happening? More access to Vietnamese sandwiches is always a good thing!

It lists the hours for Main Street Square as every day until 8 pm or later (except sunday) which is great for me because I usually end up there after 5.

http://www.lesgivrals.com/9.html

I was checking out the hours for the Market Square location, and it says "Main Street Square: Coming Soon". Does anybody know if this is recent? Is it still happening? More access to Vietnamese sandwiches is always a good thing!

It lists the hours for Main Street Square as every day until 8 pm or later (except sunday) which is great for me because I usually end up there after 5.

http://www.lesgivrals.com/9.html

the market square location was open later but the clientele from ghetto clubs nearby started trashing the places in the evenings. the owners decided it wasn't worth it so they started closing earlier.

Well, they are currently open till 9 so that's late enough, but only on Friday and Saturday. Do you mean they used to be open late on weekdays, and the ghetto dudes were trashing it up on weekdays? Or are you saying was it open later than 9 on Fri/Sat?

I was there the last two Fridays at 8:30 on my way to La Carafe and there wasn't any ghetto trashing going on (luckily).

wait, so its open already? how could i have missed it!? I just walked by there today on the way to fullbright and didnt notice it.

There's a Les Givrals at Market Square, but I don't think Main Street Square isn't open yet. The website says "coming soon". So many squares, it's getting confusing!

Well, they are currently open till 9 so that's late enough, but only on Friday and Saturday. Do you mean they used to be open late on weekdays, and the ghetto dudes were trashing it up on weekdays? Or are you saying was it open later than 9 on Fri/Sat?

I was there the last two Fridays at 8:30 on my way to La Carafe and there wasn't any ghetto trashing going on (luckily).

late enough for whom? they wanted to support the late night crowd by staying open late and did. but late night patrons trashed the place so they close earlier now.

Late enough for me. As I said earlier,

... every day until 8 pm or later (except sunday) which is great for me because I usually end up there after 5.

I wasn't talking about the late night club scene. I was saying I'm glad when I can grab a sandwich on my way downtown after work (so 8 pm is late enough for me). Once or twice a week I heard down there to meet somebody up at UHD and usually I'm hungry. That's why I'm glad the Main Street Square hours are weekdays until 8 - because that's usually when I'm there and I'm hungry.

What I was trying to ask you was whether they used to be open late on weekdays, or was it weekends only. Personally, I'd rather have them open every day until 8 than until midnight 2 nights a week.

So where' have y'all been eating Banh Mi lately?

Lately I am hooked on Thim Hung (2108 Pease at St. Emanuel). I think I am going there today for lunch.

I hear there is new place in Midtown. The little strip center with the torch logo. Anyone tried it?

Thim Hung is awesome, but the hours aren't too convenient for me. I only really go there on Saturday afternoon sometimes. Damn good sandwiches though. They close too early for me on weekdays, and don't open on Sundays.

Somebody told me "Cali" in midtown was good, but I haven't tried it yet.

Some interesting info on the upcoming Les Givrals on Main Street Square. I emailed them asking when the new downtown location would open and this is what they said.

Sorry for the slow response. But unfortunately we were outbid for the site by AT&T. We are though negotiating two leases at either the old Sakowitz building or the spot next to the convenient store so we will still be on the square. I need to get them to update the website. Thank you for your interest.

Some interesting info on the upcoming Les Givrals on Main Street Square. I emailed them asking when the new downtown location would open and this is what they said.

So maybe they are the ones goiing into the spot that's being improved next to the dollar store.

Also, is it just me or was it encouraging to see them say they were "outbid" for a downtown retail space?

The link is to a post of yours, as far as I can tell. Are you the business owner? This is the the text of the post.

Houston is a hard restaurant town. We have lots of good reasonably priced places. in order to survive you have to be decent. This is why many of the mediocre chains close here.

Archived