Houston Chronicle Building At 801 Texas Ave.

MidtownCoog

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess it goes to show you. Houston is a 21st Century kind of town. Anything older than a couple of years might be torn down. It could be worse. We could live in Dallas. Oh, that'll make 'em kill me. They hate me anyway. :lol::lol:

...but we love you...in a tough love kinda way :wub:

And most are free online. Why pay?

For the Chronicle, subscribers get access to the online archive. If you do a lot of Houston research, it's worth it.

Do you know what is depicted in the emblem on the top of the building? Looks interesting and kind of like Chrysler's old winged blue-ribbon badge of excellence from the Fifties.

Maybe it's an early version of this:

content_inside_our_company_about_hearst_logo.jpg

For the Chronicle, subscribers get access to the online archive. If you do a lot of Houston research, it's worth it.

Unless it's changed in the last few months, you don't have to be a subscriber to access the archive. I was able to pull articles from as far back as '87, I think.

You do need to set up some kind of free account, if I remember correctly.

Nah. Hearst bought the Chronicle in the 1980s.

"In 1908, Marcellus Foster, who had founded the Houston Chronicle with a quick profit he had made from Spindletop, made Jones a partner in return for building the newspaper a stylish 10-story office building on the corner of Travis Street and Texas Avenue."

It was probably the chron's masthead. Hearst didn't buy it until 1987.

Unless it's changed in the last few months, you don't have to be a subscriber to access the archive. I was able to pull articles from as far back as '87, I think.

You do need to set up some kind of free account, if I remember correctly.

Nah. Hearst bought the Chronicle in the 1980s.

yeah, online access is free now - only goes back to 1985, though, even when it was subscribers only. and no online post archives :(

and yeah, hearst bought the chronicle may of 1987

more chronicle history, from the chronicle:

http://webadv.chron.com/house/house_i/insi...y/history1.html

• 9 months later...
GovernorAggie said:
You know, this is just pitiful. Do nothing about the building, but construct a pedestrian protection barrier since we know that the building is a piece of junk. Is think how to get around safety codes? Is that what an absentee landowner should do to a slum property--just build a gate around it so no one gets in?

i was talking to a chronicle employee a few weeks ago. the siding of the chronicle building has become unsafe which is why they've had the scaffolding/platforms around it so long.

was talking to a chronicle employee a few weeks ago. the siding of the chronicle building has become unsafe which is why they've had the scaffolding/platforms around it so long.

They have actually been doing work on the Chronicle building during the last month or so.

• 3 weeks later...
They have actually been doing work on the Chronicle building during the last month or so.

They are currently removing all the marble from the building. Aluminum panels will be installed from the 2nd floor to the roof. The ground floor will have new stone along with a new plaza. The existing parapet is also being removing. Once construction is complete in July 08 the building will have a nice new look.

Why replace marble with aluminum?

being cheap. supposedly some of the stone panels warped to the point of not being able to be used again nor easily replaced so it's not too obvious. (heard that from chron employee) i guess the aluminum was the easiest solution.

This is a hard story to find news on.In the MeMo blog she mentioned that chunks were falling off the building. But you can't find that posting on her blog anymore.I think Ken Hoffman beat her up for letting the secret out. Speaking of Ken, you know how people write that damn Yankee with cutsie little questions?Well I wrote him and asked "WTH was up with the Chron Buidling and all the scaffoling."I don't think they ever printed my question.The new entrance to the Chron:MVC-860S.JPG

I work at the Chron. And yes, the building has psoriasis. (The same thing, I think, happened with Jones Hall's marble.)

Last time I got a memo on the subject, it said that the Chronicle's marble was being replaced by plastic that will look like marble. And heck: maybe it really will. Anything's likely to be better than that perpetual scaffolding.

I've heard jokes about aluminum siding.... but those were jokes.

I work at the Chron. And yes, the building has psoriasis. (The same thing, I think, happened with Jones Hall's marble.)

Last time I got a memo on the subject, it said that the Chronicle's marble was being replaced by plastic that will look like marble.

Plastic fake marble? :o Ummm, go with the aluminum.

The same thing is going on with the Fondren Brown building at Methodist Hospital, except that TMH is replacing the marble with stucco. Pieces of the travetine marble had been falling off the building for the last couple of years.

Just out of curiousity, anyone know how many years (yes, literally years) that the scaffolding has been up, and the sidewalk reduced to single-file?

Several. I am not positive, but I think it was up during the Super Bowl, which would make it going on 4 years.

EDIT: Holy Cow! How about 6 YEARS! According to this blog, the scaffolding went up after Tropical Storm Allison, which caused some of the panels to come loose. Allison was in June 2001!

http://politicalblog.abc13.com/2007/07/index.html

Several. I am not positive, but I think it was up during the Super Bowl, which would make it going on 4 years.

EDIT: Holy Cow! How about 6 YEARS! According to this blog, the scaffolding went up after Tropical Storm Allison, which caused some of the panels to come loose. Allison was in June 2001!

http://politicalblog.abc13.com/2007/07/index.html

The scaffolding has been up for about 4 years. (I know this because I'm involved with the project. The project is scheduled to be completed by June 08.

The scaffolding has been up for about 4 years. (I know this because I'm involved with the project. The project is scheduled to be completed by June 08.

So... well over five years, start to finish.

Just curious - how come whole blocks can be demolished and redeveloped in less time than it takes to re-side an exisiting building?

Archived