Houston Chronicle Building At 801 Texas Ave.

MidtownCoog

Just curious - how does the Chronicle get away with this? Aren't there provisions for fining people who obstruct sidewalks for extended periods? And if not, why not?

May be a good topic for the public comment session at City Hall.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 8 months later...

The scaffolding is coming down as we speak (finally). Also, part of the front and the east side curtains/tarps have been removed. It looks like the replacement skin is white marble. I wonder how hard that's going to keep clean? Chase Tower is in the middle of having their gray granite cleaned of mold, etc. It's really making a difference and that surface is gray, not bright white.

Anyway, congrats Chron, it's about time...

I noticed that the scaffolding on Travis was gone - how long was it up? I can't remember it not being there!

I saw a sign earlier, but a bus drove by and blocked my view. I think it said Days-377. That cannot be true. It must be referencing a phase of the project. I've heard some people say 4+ years.

I saw a sign earlier, but a bus drove by and blocked my view. I think it said Days-377. That cannot be true. It must be referencing a phase of the project. I've heard some people say 4+ years.

It HAS to be longer than 4 years....

FYI - That "Days-377" sign is for days without a worker hurt on the jobsite.

IIRC, scaffolding started going up in 2004 too.

I know someone who works in the building. She said the City of Houston was starting to fine The Chronicle for the scaffolding because they weren't doing any work on the building.

Apparently The Chronicle hired someone to do the work, but they found out is was going to be more expensive and over their budget after the scaffolding went up. They just left the scaffolding there until the city threatened to get fine them.

• 4 weeks later...

Completion was only a pipedream (whatever that means). Now they've started with the jackhammers. I'd hate to be staying at the Lancaster or living in the Rice with all that racket. It better be freakin' fabulous when and if it's ever finished.

Completion was only a pipedream (whatever that means). Now they've started with the jackhammers. I'd hate to be staying at the Lancaster or living in the Rice with all that racket. It better be freakin' fabulous when and if it's ever finished.

any pics?

• 11 months later...

It looks like they finally got the replacement panels for those blown off by Ike nearly a year ago. They've begun installing them this morning. The only thing is that they're not a perfect match. They seem to be a darker fake marble.

• 7 years later...
  • The title was changed to Houston Chronicle Headquarters
  • The title was changed to Houston Chronicle Building At 801 Texas Ave.

Archived