Lee And Joe Jamail Skatepark At 103 Sabine St.

Subdude

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find the city is so short sighted when it comes to parking. For example, if you drive through Rice Military or any residential side street on Washington Avenue, the city doesn't require developers to create multiple guest parking. You may only see one guest parking for 5 homes if you are lucky.

I'm sorry, but I've never been in any city as dedicated to parking as Houston.

Then everybody tries to park on these narrow streets and it slows down mobility and it is dangerous for pedestrians.

Slowing down traffic isn't dangerous for pedestrians, it is safer for them.

• 3 weeks later...

I went down there Saturday night and there were lots of skaters. Although I could never do what they can, I wasn't too impressed with the skill level of the skaters. I didn't see anyone grabbin their board with their hand on the side, or any of what I think is simple stuff I see them do on tv. But I'm probably clueless as to how hard it is to do.

But a very cool place.

I went down there Saturday night and there were lots of skaters. Although I could never do what they can, I wasn't too impressed with the skill level of the skaters. I didn't see anyone grabbin their board with their hand on the side, or any of what I think is simple stuff I see them do on tv. But I'm probably clueless as to how hard it is to do.

But a very cool place.

What you see on tv is usually a compilation of an entire day of filming... all strung together to look cool. In reality, they usually fall on their butts a bunch of times, and then act like champions when they finally "land" the trick. I know skating is difficult, but it seems to be the only sport in the world where you can fail so many times and still be considered good.

What you see on tv is usually a compilation of an entire day of filming... all strung together to look cool. In reality, they usually fall on their butts a bunch of times, and then act like champions when they finally "land" the trick. I know skating is difficult, but it seems to be the only sport in the world where you can fail so many times and still be considered good.

or baseball.

Do they ever have pro skating events in Houston where the good skaters come out, or are they all in California?

But a very cool place.

The simple things the pros do are basically impossible for an amateur. You'd rarely see a basketball player at a YMCA pickup game do things that the pros make look simple, like jam the ball over a defender. As someone who spent a fair amount of time doing skating, all I can say is that that stuff is unbelievably difficult. Don't let the slacker, couldn't seem to give a ____ attitude fool you -- the pros are amazing atheletes who got that way by being obsessive, disciplined people who practiced all day, everyday.

The simple things the pros do are basically impossible for an amateur. You'd rarely see a basketball player at a YMCA pickup game do things that the pros make look simple, like jam the ball over a defender. As someone who spent a fair amount of time doing skating, all I can say is that that stuff is unbelievably difficult. Don't let the slacker, couldn't seem to give a ____ attitude fool you -- the pros are amazing atheletes who got that way by being obsessive, disciplined people who practiced all day, everyday.

Yeah, I wish I could have saw this stuff...

jen.jpg

pierre_luc_gagnon_skb.jpg

hrm... maybe try going again??? I saw a guy shredding out there the other day. Wasn't shaun white riding out there when it opened?

I mean, your not going to see a 900 or a darkslide or anything like that, but there is some solid skating going down there.

hrm... maybe try going again??? I saw a guy shredding out there the other day. Wasn't shaun white riding out there when it opened?

I mean, your not going to see a 900 or a darkslide or anything like that, but there is some solid skating going down there.

No, I was actually impressed. All the good skaters were in that small bowl on the far end. But pretty much every time they tried something extra special, they fell.

I thought more of them would be in that big middle part.

when Texas Pipeline was still closed, but accessible/open there were a number of people that could thrash the hell out of the place

kids today do not skate the same it is all about the curb and flipping the board around not catching air ect.

Edited by TexasVines

• 1 year later...

I wonder how it would fare based on attendance. It seems that any time I go by the place is packed.

Also, there's something ironic about the WSJ publishing a positive article on skateboarding. The sport has entered mainstream acceptance, which is quite a change from when I was a kid in the 80's and every adult assumed you were a misfit for riding a skateboard.

Also, there's something ironic about the WSJ publishing a positive article on skateboarding. The sport has entered mainstream acceptance, which is quite a change from when I was a kid in the 80's and every adult assumed you were a misfit for riding a skateboard.

The Journal broke out of its Old Grey Lady stereotype back in the 90's. It hasn't been the paper most people think it is in more than a decade.

Sure, there's still a lot of density, but there's a lot of good, readable, interesting content as well. When America gets down to seven or eight newspapers, I hope that the WSJ is one of them.

• Like 1

I liked how the our skatepark has Downtown as the backdrop.

Me too. It's one of the best views in the city.

The Journal broke out of its Old Grey Lady stereotype back in the 90's. It hasn't been the paper most people think it is in more than a decade.

Sure, there's still a lot of density, but there's a lot of good, readable, interesting content as well. When America gets down to seven or eight newspapers, I hope that the WSJ is one of them.

True. It's just the irony of what the two used to represent meshing in this way. The WSJ does fine reporting, although I think their editorials are still complete BS. Hopefully Rupert & Co. won't mess with the integrity of the journalism side of the house.

Edited by barracuda

• The title was changed to Lee And Joe Jamail Skatepark
  • The title was changed to Lee And Joe Jamail Skatepark At 103 Sabine St.