Lee And Joe Jamail Skatepark At 103 Sabine St.

Subdude

Thanks to Joseph Jamail and Congrats PUSH you guys FN rule!

Yes the skateboarders will boost the economy. Skaters will be coming from all over for a park this size. New businesses will pop up because of it and current business will have additional traffic.

I would travel to Austin to skate and take in the scene of that great town. I stayed in a hotel. I ate, went to some spots,ect...

Also to Dallas and Allen skatepark to skate and enjoy the city.

I also bought my house in the Heights because of the skatepark.

Skateboarding is bigger than a lot of people think and its not just for kids as I am 40 years young.

Edited by Howard

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Construction is underway! Some photos of the work site are located here: http://www.hpbinc.org/downtown_skatepark.htm

That's great Push. I jog that trail every now and then. I just haven't been down that way in a while. I might just go down there and check it out for myself. Thanks for the update

Does anyone remember the Urban Animals? They were a pack of skaters who would tear around downtown on skates, usually at night. Are they still around?

many of the older ones only skate occasionally now but there still are several groups still in existence skating various nights of the week.

There is no doubt in my mind that this skatepark would be a good thing. You can see a fair amount of damage to various buildings around town due to skateboarders. One that comes to mind is the Wells Fargo building on Louisianna.

My question is this, does anyone know if any skaters have ever been charged with illegal skating or damaging property? I haven't.

Edited by gto250us

My question is this, does anyone know if any skaters have ever been charged with illegal skating or damaging property?
Yes, I was involved in an incident where 2 were arrested. that was in the 90's. unfortunately, the urban animals aren't the ones doing the damage...it is the younger adults that do it. it was because of these younger adults that skating was banned in some areas of downtown such as jones plaza.

IMO the arrest wasn't necessary. guess they were a little too vocal for the officers

Edited by musicman

• 3 months later...
Wow, this is coming along great. It looks really nice. Anyone driven by and seen it in person?

I actually went by on the 13th for a round of Frisbee golf. I flung my first toss off the tee box right into the new park and had to ask "some dude" to get it back for me. I felt 8 years old again. Anyways, the park looks really cool, and a large portion of it seems done. You should drive by and see it, just park on the Sabine St. Bridge. I was really impressed. I wish I had something like this when I was a skater punk. :(

In general, I am very happy the City is taking steps to improve the parks system, even if the amenties don't cater to everyone. It's just nice to have people around doing things.

Edited by bkjones98

• 4 weeks later...

it's only one of the largest and coolest world class in ground skateparks in the US!!!

i think its going to be incredible to have this in houston...although it seems to be finished in may the grand opening seems to be june 1st 2008...from pics, it looks to be nearly completed for the most part except landscaping and perhaps some sort of building if they decide to build one for events etc...

skaters from all over the country will come here to skate and hopefully lots of events and competitions will take place here!

Taken from Houston Chronicle Feb 2008:

Feb. 7, 2008, 11:10PM

SITE NEAR DOWNTOWN

Skaters are eager to flip, spin and slide

Still being built, skateboard park has a spot for all experience levels

By ROBERT CROWE

Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Standing near the construction site like a couple of eager 13-year-old boys, Jason Kendall and Richard Sellers could not contain their excitement upon glimpsing the epic skate park developing near downtown.

"It's absolutely incredible; it defies description. It has so many features," Kendall, a 37-year-old Houston native, said Wednesday while his buddy used a cell phone to snap photos of the smooth concrete bowls, ramps and pipes.

These old-school skaters, with a sprinkling of gray hair, stopped by the site Wednesday to sneak a peek after hearing that the 30,000-square-foot park, one of the country's largest, is starting to take shape. Houston already has six public skate parks, but the seventh will be in a league all its own.

"I'll be here opening day," said Sellers, 36. "This is world-class without a doubt. ... This is what Houston needs."

Construction on the Lee and Joe Jamail Skatepark on Sabine Street near Memorial Drive could be complete by the end of May. A grand opening is set for June 1, weather permitting.

The state-of-the-art park was funded with $2.5 million in private donations.

Construction began in October after attorney Joe Jamail donated $1.5 million to the Houston Parks Board in honor of his wife, Lee, who died last year.

For all experience levels

Three years in the making, the park started as a grass-roots fundraising effort by the nonprofit group Public Use Skateparks of Houston. The Parks Board donated an estimated $4 million worth of land situated along Buffalo Bayou in the shadow of Houston's skyline near jogging trails and a disc golf course.

"We expect this thing to draw people from all over the country," said Trent Rondot, Parks Board project manager.

The lighted park will include five areas with concrete terrain for all experience levels. A street skating area will greet skaters before they approach a series of bowls and half-pipes that become more complex, with some steep drops of 9 and 13 feet.

The 20-foot cradle, a spoon-like structure that extends from the expert bowl area, is the largest in the world, Rondot said.

Outshines the rest

With its bold design, expansive size and skyline views, all other skate parks in the Houston area pale in comparison, Sellers said.

"The thing about a concrete park is it's all about the flow," he said. "You can drop in once and never have to get off your board. You'll be able to surf this concrete."

Nearly half of the construction is finished. While peeking inside the site, Kendall and Sellers noticed scuff marks that some skaters have left on the lips of the bigger bowls.

"That's from the designers," Rondot said. "They get to test out the park."

Sellers said that because he does not have health insurance he rarely skates now. That will change when the park opens this summer.

"My wife won't let me skate so much," he said. "I think she's gonna have to live with this one. I'm gonna have to do something to pacify her because I'm probably gonna live here until next Christmas."

robert.crowe@chron.com

yeah i had those insurance questions myself...maybe because its funded via donations? not sure

and i bet it was the jamail brothers and friends skating this past weekend...supposedly they cant stay away and who would blame them!

its at memorial drive and sabine

How are they getting around the liability stuff? I always heard that's what killed the old skate parks.

I think skating there is an assumption of the risk--like a public swimming pool. On the other hand, if there are problems like a crack in the pavement that cause someone to fall, that would be premise defect. I would imagine liability in that scenario.

Park at the Sabine Street Bridge between Memorial Dive and Allen Pkwy. Its by the Sabine Street Lofts and Fonde Rec. Center.

• 1 month later...

anyone remember Texas Pipline that was off of Richmond ar Crossview located right next to the tennis bubble

it went broke and people ran a car through the fence...it was loaded with grafitti and had the 40 foot bowl that was partially full of water and had cracked and seperated near part of the top

the round bowl that lead into the half completed full pipe that was partially skatable...for a time the round bowl had two 5' wooden tumbstones at the top across from each other

then the 30' bowl, titty bowl, snake bowl, bathtub bowl, and the big one that had a huge amount of flat and 10' or 12' high sides on 3 sides of it and then open on the 4th end

you could basically skate for free there and the cops were ok as long as no one had beer or was smoking weed

but the Conoco around at Fondren and Richmond would sell us beers even at like 15....but that was for the aftermath as I could not skate even after 1 beer

there was also "The Glass" that was at Town and Country to the north of the theaters long before the mall was build (then demoed) Houston! :D

it was a fiberglass park with a big dropin that went over some humps then a big wall to turn on and down another path

it also had some half pipe stuff too

parts of "The Glass" ended up at River Rats Place on the Guadalupe off River Terrace where Loop 377 Meets the river....it was the water slide and the "speed" slide and the bottom bowl of the speed slide was the turning area laid down full of water

good times

thank you Houston!

B)