Lee And Joe Jamail Skatepark At 103 Sabine St.

Subdude

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's a pretty neat looking place. It almost drove my buddy nuts though. He was the project coordinator and they were working seven days a week to get it ready for the opening. They had the donors party on Friday night and the grand opening on Sunday. They got just about everything done but it was close at the end. Houston now has a place for skaters to play although I'm sure they will still be all over town because one park that can handle about 100 skaters at a time isn't nearly enough for the number of skaters there are in Houston.

Looked like Sunday was a hit. Anyone go or been since it opened?

I went running on Saturday and noticed that people were already using it. There were about a dozen people standing by the fence on the side watching about 3 or 4 skaters testing it out. It looks pretty cool and it's a great location overlooking downtown and the bayou.

Edited by barracuda

Apparently HELMETS are optional. I saw the report on Channel 11 last night, and the video showed SEVERAL people without helmets on. Aren't there supposed to be monitors, "lifeguards" at this thing ?

Edited by TJones

just wanted to say that i went to the opening with the mayor and "skate celebrities" etc in attendance and it was a great time and the park is way cool!

everyone should go check it out...even if you dont skate it is fun to watch those that do...

just wanted to say that i went to the opening with the mayor and "skate celebrities" etc in attendance and it was a great time and the park is way cool!

everyone should go check it out...even if you dont skate it is fun to watch those that do...

What kind of 'skate celebrities?'

A or B listers, by 'skating celebrity' standards?

Skateboarders have always been a misunderstood bunch and probably what attracted me to it. There is no way I could explain it to you but real skateboarders would move to the area to enjoy the park. I bought my house in the Heights because of it and Memorial Park for mountain biking... Something else you probably wont understand for lack of mountains. In many ways the park will help the economy by skaters coming from all over to enjoy the park. At 41 I still skateboard at least 2 times a week here in the Miami area and I know the park will be there if I do move back. Most of the skaters I skate with are older than 30 and could give the young kids a lesson in ripping.

Dont be so quick to judge the situation and what positive things it can bring to Houston. Everyone doesnt care for baseball, football, and basketball (the U.S. most dangerous sport).

Helmets should be optional over 18 and having supervision isnt nessasary. When is the last time you went to supervised basketball court?

Edited by Howard

What? Why is that?

Google Search is your friend...

Many moms might worry about their kids getting hurt playing football, but a new study shows that playing basketball and riding bicycles sent more Americans to the emergency room in 2005.

More than half a million people suffered basketball-related injuries last year, compared to 485,000 hurt on bikes and 418,000 injured playing football.

Trampolines bounced 108,000 U.S. residents into the hospital. And believe it or not, some 47,000 people managed to get hurt playing golf.

"Athletes, youngsters and weekend warriors alike can wind up in hospital emergency rooms for injuries related to these sports," said Pietro Tonino, director of the division of sports medicine at Loyola University Health System. "So before people run to the basketball court, they need to take steps to reduce their injury risk."

Tonino used data from the U.S. Consumer Produce Safety Commission on injuries treated in emergency rooms.

The Top 15:

1 Basketball: 512,213

2 Bicycling: 485,669

3 Football: 418,260

4 Soccer: 174,686

5 Baseball: 155,898

6 Skateboards: 112,544

7 Trampolines: 108,029

8 Softball: 106,884

9 Swimming/Diving: 82,354

10 Horseback riding: 73,576

11 Weightlifting: 65,716

12 Volleyball: 52,091

13 Golf: 47,360

14 Roller skating: 35,003

15 Wrestling: 33,734

Knee injuries, especially to the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), are some of the most common and serious, the new study found.

While ACL injuries can be treated with surgery and physical therapy, a way to prevent them is to build up the strength of your hamstrings. Tonino also recommends landing on the balls of your feet with knees bent and butt back, as if you were about to sit in a chair.

I don't think showing totals proves that basketball is the most dangerous at all. It's about total numbers, there are way more people casually playing basketball or getting a pickup game together, because it takes a lot more equipment, organization, and facilities to do that in either baseball or football. There are just more people screwing around playing basketball, period. If as many people played football that number would be at least 10 times higher for football.

What kind of 'skate celebrities?'

A or B listers, by 'skating celebrity' standards?

A list. Lance Mountain, Steve Caballero, Christian Hosoi, Omar Hasaan, Shaun White, Lincoln Ueda, Steve Alba, etc. etc.

How are they getting around the liability stuff? I always heard that's what killed the old skate parks.

As a government owned entity, they have virtually no liability. State and local governments are immune from liability under the Tort Claims Act. In addition, they are also immune under the Civil Practice and Remedies Code for government owned land used for certain recreation purposes, including skateboarding.

As a government owned entity, they have virtually no liability. State and local governments are immune from liability under the Tort Claims Act. In addition, they are also immune under the Civil Practice and Remedies Code for government owned land used for certain recreation purposes, including skateboarding.

Actually, states and their subsidiaries are

• 4 weeks later...

I find the city is so short sighted when it comes to parking. For example, if you drive through Rice Military or any residential side street on Washington Avenue, the city doesn't require developers to create multiple guest parking. You may only see one guest parking for 5 homes if you are lucky. Then everybody tries to park on these narrow streets and it slows down mobility and it is dangerous for pedestrians.

Edited by samiamj