811 Main: Office Skyscraper At 811 Main St.

houstonfella

Something does not add up here with the proposed height of this building...

If its at 30 stories now - its the shortest 30 I have ever seen...you can hardly see the building on 59, and it looks way shorter than DT which is topped out at 30?

And if MP is going to 46 stories - only another 16 - how is it going to get high enough where it is supposed to be way taller than Discovery Tower??

Basically MP does not look that tall now, and if its 30/46 stories done, then its not going to look that tall when its done...

Unless the last 16 stories are going to be really high ceilings or something?????

If its at 30 stories now - its the shortest 30 I have ever seen...you can hardly see the building on 59, and it looks way shorter than DT which is topped out at 30?

And if MP is going to 46 stories - only another 16 - how is it going to get high enough where it is supposed to be way taller than Discovery Tower??

Basically MP does not look that tall now, and if its 30/46 stories done, then its not going to look that tall when its done...

Unless the last 16 stories are going to be really high ceilings or something?????

Discovery Tower - 490 ft tall

Main Place - 630 ft tall

Main Place is 46 floors and Discovery 29. Maybe someone isn't counting correctly.

Edited by houstonfella

It'll really only have an impact from the south and northeast. I agree, I don't think this is going to a major point on the skyline itself-but a nice addition all the same.

It'll really only have an impact from the south and northeast. I agree, I don't think this is going to a major point on the skyline itself-but a nice addition all the same.

Well, i believe Shell Plaza One (One Shell Plaza?) is 50 stories. Granted it is right out front when approaching from the west, but it is pretty visible, so maybe MP will be too. i love MP's design; but like many of you, i really do wish it was at least 10 stories taller.

Because of its location, it will be surrounded by taller scrapers, so i am a bit disapointed as well. i do understand that in the past few years many highrises built in DT definately have helped as filler, which i think was desparately needed. BUT, i would love to see a 70+ maybe even and 80+ (1200+ ft) scraper go up. Unfortunately, i don't know if there is a market yet for such a monster. Hopefully, in the next decade H-town's shift from petroleum based income to alternative energy income will allow for this. i know H-town's medical income has fueled all the development in MT and Memorial City, so i would think any 50+ storey highrises would be built in either area. Sorry DT. :(

m.

I hope it does not affect the building's foundation.

There was water coming from the building. Not sure what the deal was, but they had PVC pipes coming off the building and they were dumping all the water on to Main Street as well as Rusk, on top of the rupture right in the middle of the street as well.

Maybe the sky garden/lobby will add height. But, i agree very short for 30 stories. But lets wait until it gets topped off, before we complain about the height.

There was water coming from the building. Not sure what the deal was, but they had PVC pipes coming off the building and they were dumping all the water on to Main Street as well as Rusk, on top of the rupture right in the middle of the street as well.

You don't think this may have been a flow test on the fire sprinkler system begin installed?

I can finally see the tops of the cranes from my vantage point. Does anybody know how tall MainPlace will be compared to the surrounding buildings in this photo (besides the Chase building)? Just wondering how much of an impact it will make on the skyline viewed from my hood.

img6168.jpg

Edited by Jax

I can finally see the tops of the cranes from my vantage point. Does anybody know how tall MainPlace will be compared to the surrounding buildings in this photo (besides the Chase building)? Just wondering how much of an impact it will make on the skyline viewed from my hood.

img6168.jpg

According to Emporis.com:

MainPlace will be: 630 feet

1 Houston Center is: 680 feet (black box on right of photo)

2 Houston Center is: 580 feet (black box in the right-center that is mostly blocked by the white building with indentations [First City Tower])

So, according to info on Emporis, it should be exactly in between the height of 1 and 2 Houston Center.

For reference, MainPlace is 1 block North and 1 block West of 2 Houston Center. This rendering provides some context: http://mainplacehous...20and%20WF.html

All of this is to say that yes, I think you should have a pretty good view.

Edited by uhlaw09
  • Like 1

2 Houston Center is: 580 feet (black box in the right-center that is mostly blocked by the white building with indentations [First City Tower])

So, according to info on Emporis, it should be exactly in between the height of 1 and 2 Houston Center.

For reference, MainPlace is 1 block North and 1 block West of 2 Houston Center. This rendering provides some context: http://mainplacehous...20and%20WF.html

Thanks for working that out for me. Yeah, I am guessing I'll be able to see the sky garden thing from here. That's the most interesting part, so cool!

Thanks for the work, it definitely puts things in perspective.

This pic offers the best angle MainPlace that I've seen. I love the contrast between the new and old.

http://mainplacehouston...20and%20WF.html

Edited by kdog08

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...