• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any recommendations of a good BBQ place? Inner loop/near Rice would be preferrable.

I've only tried PAPPAS which was terrible.

No, no, no. Stay away from chains. Goode & Company on Kirby or I-10 is respectable, but the true BBQ connoseiur knows Bettere.

My top two are Thelma's on Live Oak Street in 77003 and Williams Smokehouse on Wheatly in Acres Homes. The latter is a bit out of the way, but I'd say that it is well worth it and is probably the #1 BBQ place in Houston as far as I know. Thelma's can be extremely good, but lacks consistency.

Lenox BBQ on Harrisburg is often overlooked, but makes a very respectable contender.

I agree. Thelmas is great, but you gotta catch it at a good time. Don't expect 'service' either.

I love Goode & Co.'s beans (they have the chipped beef in them). Yum!

As for Pappa's I tend to like their breakfast tacos more than their BBQ. You can get two of them with egg, potato, beans (really good, don't turn up your nose until you tryh it) with either bacon or sausage for under $4.

• 4 weeks later...

The last few times I went to Thelma's, she was a bit surly with some of the customers. That exposure from the PBS special must have really gone to her head. I'll second Williams Smokehouse, as well as Burns BBQ on DePriest and Luling City Market on Richmond.

The last few times I went to Thelma's, she was a bit surly with some of the customers. That exposure from the PBS special must have really gone to her head. I'll second Williams Smokehouse, as well as Burns BBQ on DePriest and Luling City Market on Richmond.

I think that is why I haven't been back. Yes, the BBQ was good, but not good enough to deal with her b*tchiness towards me and my guest ... who, I might add, had never been and were looking to have a good meal.

If you want to take a small trip, there's this BBQ place run by Mount Zion M.B.C. at 2601 Montgomery Rd. in Huntsville. It's a small little shack, kept clean with a few tables and seats, parking is behind the church building. Good BBQ. They are open from 8-6 on Saturdays, but they will close down earlier if they run out of food before then, that's the only downside. They do all their cooking on Mondays and Tuesdays, and open back up on Wednesday through Saturday. They even have an all you can eat special, $8!

I ate at a spot in Pearland last week on Mykawa and 518...pretty good BBQ but forgot the name....

Central Texas BBQ?

There is also a Central Tx BBQ on Airport near hobby that is somehow related but not an exact duplicate.

i don't see what the hype is about goode bbq, nor luling. i've been to both and not great at all.

there use to be a place called sam's bbq and that stuff was way better than goode or luling. they even grew their baked potatoes in the back literally. now it's replaced by some nasty place called hungry farmer. ugh absolute nasty. then i found out there was another sam's bbq it was smaller seems like a branch off and it's not good like the original.

sigh :(

I love Lenox BBQ on Harrisburg. The interior hasnt changed much since the 60's. Very good BBQ and wonderful sauce. I have to keep reminding myself that the sauce is NOT a beverage. :P

there use to be a place called sam's bbq and that stuff was way better than goode or luling. they even grew their baked potatoes in the back literally. now it's replaced by some nasty place called hungry farmer. ugh absolute nasty. then i found out there was another sam's bbq it was smaller seems like a branch off and it's not good like the original.

sigh :(

There were two Sam's locations, the original one on Airline and a second one on Veterans Memorial. When Sam died several years ago, the Airline location was sold to the owner of the Hungry Farmer, which has been in business on Crosstimbers since the late 60s. The Airline location's name was changed to the Hungry Farmer at that time, but I think that most of Sam's staff stayed on. Despite the change in ownership, I really don't think the food has changed all that much - even though they operate under the same name, the BBQ is definitely different at the HF's Crosstimbers location. The quality tends to vary more there from day to day than at the Airline location too, and even on a good day it's not as good as the BBQ at the Airline location.

The Sam's on Veterans Memorial is still open, but I'm not sure if Sam's family still owns it or if it was sold too. It's much smaller than the original location, and is located in a freestanding building in the parking lot of one of the numerous strip centers that flank that area.

Goode is good...but not great. Thelma's is sketchy. Three times there and we dub it thumbs down. Pappas is a no-brainer-just don't go. Lenox sucks. BBQ Inn sucks when it come to BBQ but excells at CF Steak. My SO makes the best slow-cooked on mesquite and pecan with brown sugar and honey.

No, no, no. Stay away from chains. Goode & Company on Kirby or I-10 is respectable, but the true BBQ connoseiur knows Bettere.

My top two are Thelma's on Live Oak Street in 77003 and Williams Smokehouse on Wheatly in Acres Homes. The latter is a bit out of the way, but I'd say that it is well worth it and is probably the #1 BBQ place in Houston as far as I know. Thelma's can be extremely good, but lacks consistency.

Lenox BBQ on Harrisburg is often overlooked, but makes a very respectable contender.

Stay away from chains is sooooo true!

Lenox BBQ on Harrisburg is one of the last true dinosaurs of great barbecue. Has been around for generations. Reasonable prices by today's standards and the best thing is you get great bargains if ordering for last minute family gatherings. They really fix you up. Just try and you will be hooked! >:)

I would have suggested old Lockwood Inn Barbecue and the great links they were known for but it burned down years ago. We have been left craving it for years even the next door competitor Cozy Kitchen Barbecue couldn't top old Lockwood Inn over on 610/Lockwood Dr.

Any recommendations of a good BBQ place? Inner loop/near Rice would be preferrable.

I've only tried PAPPAS which was terrible.

All the Pappas restaurants have gone downhill as the empire has grown, none more so than the Brisket houses. Williams is the best in the city, one of the 10 or so best in the state IMO. Closed Sun/Mon. Catfish is by far the best thing at Thelma's; I've never experienced the legendary rudeness but I've never had great brisket there either. Best Q offerings are ribs and chicken.

Goode Co. on Kirby is the closest to Rice but over-rated. Luling City Mkt on Richmond would be next closest but be sure to go early, they serve from a steam table not directly out of a pit. At least you get the ambience of eating off butcher paper like the name-sake in Luling.

For others close to Rice, Harlon's on Almeda between Binz and Southmore; I've only eaten at a Harlon's at Hobby when I was waiting for a long overdue flight and starving. It sufficed.

Another possibility close to Rice would be Guy's Meat Market on OST just west of 288. More famous for their smoked 8 oz burgers, chili (frozen in bricks) and sausages, their chicken and sausage are the best Q offerings. They won 2nd place at the Rodeo cookoff the only time they entered but their brisket and ribs don't develop enough smoke flavor and they don't use enough of their own rub on them. Open only Tu-Sat, no place to eat there, it's all to-go. Large portions, though, for the price. Get a shaker of the seasoning mix, it's good on lots of things besides their bbq and less salty than most.

Best I've had in the area is Central Texas BBQ in Pearland, which is very close to my house. BTW they have a huge selection of side orders and veggies, not just the usual potato salad, cole slaw and beans. Probably my all time favorite is DJ's barbecue in Clute, though Bo's Barbecue in Angleton is also good. If you're in the Wharton or Sealy area, Hinze's is very good.

I have had very good luck with both Pizzitola's on Shepherd and Demaris farther south on Shepherd. Never been to Williams, Thelma's or Burns, believe it or not, for having lived and worked in the Houston area for twenty-seven years.

But I have to say that the best BBQ I've ever tasted was at Mount Zion Church in Huntsville.

The Swinging Door Bar-B-Q

It's not inside the loop, but with the West Park tollroad you can be there in no time. I grew up in Richmond/Rosenberg and was raised on this stuff. Absolutely amazing barbecue, the pecan smoking gives it a unique flavor. Best I have ever had, and I do consider myself a connoisseur!

The Swinging Door

3818 FM359

Richmond, Texas 77469

http://www.swingingdoor.com/index.html

If I do have to stay inside the loop, I love Hickory Hollow on Washington Avenue. Certainly not "The Best" barbecue I have had, but better than average. Where else can you get brisket, sausage, ribs, two sides and............a chicken fried steak for $12.99??? That's right, chicken fried steak and barbecue, gluttony at its finest!!!

Has anyone tried Dickey's BBQ?

I noticed that there's a new one at Flintridge and Kuykendahl in the Sterling Ridge area. Looked pretty busy.

Maybe Houston will get lucky with Dickey's.But if they are similar to any of the chains up here in DFW,just look for somewhere else to go.Straight nasty!

• 3 weeks later...

On a side note, if any of the barbecue joints you frequent have a hamburger on the menu, I would suggest trying it at some point. From my experience, a burger at a barbecue joint (when they offer it) tend to be some of the best burgers you can get.

Archived