I like Demeris Shepherd at Alabama too. I prefer their sauce to the too tomatoey garbage I find at most places.

I never got the appeal of Goode Co. It's just very "ehh" to me. I liked the burgers at Otto's, is it still open?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like Demeris Shepherd at Alabama too. I prefer their sauce to the too tomatoey garbage I find at most places.

I never got the appeal of Goode Co. It's just very "ehh" to me. I liked the burgers at Otto's, is it still open?

Otto's is still open. The best thing about Otto's, is that they will put a fried egg on your bacon cheeseburger if you ask nicely.

I got this idea from Dirty Martin's in Austin. It's called the "OT special": double bacon cheeseburger with lettuce, tomatoe, mayo, and a fried egg with onion rings on the side. The OT special is one of the main reasons I gained 45 pounds in college. That, and Natural Light. I have since shed these pounds, but I miss them on cold cold nights.

Otto's is still open. The best thing about Otto's, is that they will put a fried egg on your bacon cheeseburger if you ask nicely.

I got this idea from Dirty Martin's in Austin. It's called the "OT special": double bacon cheeseburger with lettuce, tomatoe, mayo, and a fried egg with onion rings on the side. The OT special is one of the main reasons I gained 45 poinds in college. That, and Natural Light. I have since shed these pounds, but I miss them on cold cold nights.

Needless to say, my "double bacon cheeseburger w/ a fried egg on it" days are over. So I haven't much use for Otto's. Their barbecue is average. I go there once every 3 years or so, when someone else wants to go there for lunch.

When I used to travel to San Marcos, Tx I remember stoping at a BBQ place past Lulling on 183 in Lockhart, tx and it was the best. BTW dose ne one know what happend to Drexlers BBq shop. I never been there but I saw it on Marvn Zindlers list and the last I saw they took down the big signs facing the I45.

If you want to take a small trip, there's this BBQ place run by Mount Zion M.B.C. at 2601 Montgomery Rd. in Huntsville. It's a small little shack, kept clean with a few tables and seats, parking is behind the church building. Good BBQ. They are open from 8-6 on Saturdays, but they will close down earlier if they run out of food before then, that's the only downside. They do all their cooking on Mondays and Tuesdays, and open back up on Wednesday through Saturday. They even have an all you can eat special, $8!

Natives call it "the house of the Immaculate Ribs" & they are great! Service is very slow, so make sure your patience are up to par:). The smoke blows in your face as you enter:). A couple of relatives groan everytime we go there saying, "imagine the $$ to be made if service sped up" a bit. But that is the charm of the place! One of the few really "old-time" food places left in TX. The sales proceeds help many in the area. The charm & taste are worth leaving I-45N for a while. Think exit is #74 off I-45.

Has anyone tried Dickey's BBQ?

I noticed that there's a new one at Flintridge and Kuykendahl in the Sterling Ridge area. Looked pretty busy.

Quite good & they have kids plates grandkids love. They have chicken nugets for little ones who are addicted to "dinasour" shapes:). They also offer a few more veggies. Tea is strong, so get lotza ice. There is new BBQ place opening on I-45.....Rudy's?. Its beside the water park.

• 1 month later...

I know people slam Pappas, but Saturday I went to the one on Main (former Luther's) because Goode Co. was too crowded. I was expecting average at best (like Luther's), but the brisket was OUTSTANDING and the sausage very good. Sauce, fries, and pecan pie were all very, very good.

This is from a guy who grew up in the area and who has been to going all the major bbq places and most of the surrounding rural ones for twenty-odd years. I would rank this beef up there with New Zion's. I could not have been more surprised. If you have written Pappas off, try this one.

I know people slam Pappas, but Saturday I went to the one on Main (former Luther's) because Goode Co. was too crowded. I was expecting average at best (like Luther's), but the brisket was OUTSTANDING and the sausage very good. Sauce, fries, and pecan pie were all very, very good.

This is from a guy who grew up in the area and who has been to going all the major bbq places and most of the surrounding rural ones for twenty-odd years. I would rank this beef up there with New Zion's. I could not have been more surprised. If you have written Pappas off, try this one.

Their brisket is quite tender --if not THE most flavorful. I think their portions are pretty good for the prices too.

Quite good & they have kids plates grandkids love. They have chicken nugets for little ones who are addicted to "dinasour" shapes:). They also offer a few more veggies. Tea is strong, so get lotza ice. There is new BBQ place opening on I-45.....Rudy's?. Its beside the water park.

Does anyone know how close the Rudy's is to completion? That's my favorite BBQ place in Austin and I've never been able to find anything like it in Houston.

• 3 months later...
Does anyone know of Beef -n- Bun? They are down off Fuqua (like near Buffalo Speedway). Not sure if they are still there, but they used to have awesome stuffed baked potatoes.

The same family that ran beef-n-bun now operates Hickory Barn on Wilcrest @ 59S.... actually a Stafford address. Great BBQ and has been a family favorite since I started walking.

Pretty brave to utter such blasphemy in the heart of God's country (i.e., Texas), especially in the service of such inexplicably peculiar customs as pulled pork and vinegar-based sauce. ;)

Oh please, the Carolina's & Virginia were perfecting BBQ back when TX was still a quaint province of Mexico! Who do you think even brought the idea of BBQ here (hint: people from that neck of the woods....such as Sam Houston & such ;) ).

Really, it took some getting used to the idea of smoking beef, but I admit, it's not bad. Some of the sauces I've experienced here are really good as well. But any true BBQ expert knows, sauce does not make BBQ! ;)

One question I have is which of all of these places have a good assortment of sides? The places I've been to(Goode Co., Harlon's Pit in the galleria) have pretty decent BBQ...but I want more than potato salad and beans to choose from. My first job was at this place called Uncle Mutt's in Victoria(yeah yeah please refrain from any jokes), and they had some of the best sides i've ever seen(fried sweet corn nuggets, mashed potatos, dirty rice, fried okra, etc.)

Some other good places if you're traveling down 59 are Mikeska's BBQ in El Campo and Prasek's Smokehouse in Hillje(best turkey jerkey and deer sausage rolls ever!)

One question I have is which of all of these places have a good assortment of sides? The places I've been to(Goode Co., Harlon's Pit in the galleria) have pretty decent BBQ...but I want more than potato salad and beans to choose from. My first job was at this place called Uncle Mutt's in Victoria(yeah yeah please refrain from any jokes), and they had some of the best sides i've ever seen(fried sweet corn nuggets, mashed potatos, dirty rice, fried okra, etc.)

Some other good places if you're traveling down 59 are Mikeska's BBQ in El Campo and Prasek's Smokehouse in Hillje(best turkey jerkey and deer sausage rolls ever!)

For sides, I've got to put in a vote for Thelma's. Gotta love her Okra & Tomatoes and Dirty Rice.

And although not in Houston, I'd like to direct anyone in Central Texas to the Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood. Their potato salad and slaw is like nothing else. I grew up right near there, and have yet to find an acceptable serving of slaw anywhere else, period.

I posted this earlier, but way back. Central Texas BBQ in Pearland has a wide variety of good sides. More like steam table veggies than the usual beans and cole slaw.

Yes! IMO the sides are the hit at CMBbq. The New Potatoes(with cheese, sour cream, scallions) are our family's fave! The Macaroni & Cheese is nice too, once you add some black pepper and a little salt it's perfect. The loaded baked potatoes, and the Pinto beans are top notch also.

I love the Jalapeno& Cherry peppers/Pickles/Onion bar!

My husband likes the ribs. For me they are a little too "fall of the bone". Almost wonder if they boil them first.

• 8 months later...

My favorite BBQ in Houston is The County Line. Yes they are a chain, but the BBQ is memorable. I personally prefer the combo platter that gives you brisket, sausage and beef ribs, along with cole slaw and beans. The loaves of bread served with the meal complement the meal nicely and you can't leave this restaurant without feeling like you are about to pop. I recollect being in the restaurant sometime about 1983 or 1984 and 6 football players from the University of Houston were in the place and ate somewhere around 6 - 8 platters of beef ribs that must have had 30 ribs per platter. Maybe they haven't won a national championship but they can win an eating contest. I think the restaurant comped them out of awe or maybe fear.

I grew up in Tennnesse where pork BBQ is King, and ground zero is Memphis. If you ever get there, you should try Charlie Vergos Rendezvous located in the basement of the Sheraton Peabody Hotel, which is dry rub pork ribs at their best, and Leonards Pit BBQ which is noted for their flavorful sauce. Nuff said....

The sides at Pappas are a better reason to go there than the meats IMO - yams, lima beans, etc. Hinze's in Wharton (also on Mason Rd. and in Sealy) has a good assortment of home-made sides as does Swingin' Door on FM 359 north of Richmond.

The chili beans at Pierson's on W T C Jester are very good but pot salad is too sweet.

I used to like the okra and tomatoes at Thelma's but the last 2 times I had it it was just overcooked mush.

There's potato salad and then there's potato salad, slaw and then there's slaw. Both the ps and slaw are exceptionally good at Austin's in Eagle Lake.

Too many Tex BBQ places treat sides as an afterthought.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know of Beef -n- Bun? They are down off Fuqua (like near Buffalo Speedway). Not sure if they are still there, but they used to have awesome stuffed baked potatoes.

I know Beef-n-Bun, went there for "work lunch" many times, good food, they also have a very good chicken fried steak.

If you find yourself way-out Hwy 290 sometime, try Carl's Barbeque, around Telge, by the little airport, right off the hwy. It's been there forever. :wub: A think a lot of musicians buses must stop there on their way to Austin, per pics on the wall.

Archived