I know Beef-n-Bun, went there for "work lunch" many times, good food, they also have a very good chicken fried steak.

If you find yourself way-out Hwy 290 sometime, try Carl's Barbeque, around Telge, by the little airport, right off the hwy. It's been there forever. :wub: A think a lot of musicians buses must stop there on their way to Austin, per pics on the wall.

Love this place, good bbq, sides, banana pudding, iced tea, and atmosphere. The total package. And best of all, really, really cheap!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Love this place, good bbq, sides, banana pudding, iced tea, and atmosphere. The total package. And best of all, really, really cheap!

Near Houston, I like (both of these are small places) Robert's Smokehouse (Pasadena, on Southmore St.) and Randy's Smokehouse (on Old Galveston Rd near El Dorado). At both places, the BBQ brisket is lean and tender. The sauces are good -- they go well with the way they smoke their meat.

I also like County Line, but it's rare I go there due to distance of the location from where I live.

Spring Creek BBQ (it's a chain, more than one location -- HWY 290 near 1960) is very good too. With that one, location is also a problem, but would stop there on the way somewhere else. I prefer it over Carl's as Carl's always seems to have some kind of plumbing problem when I go there. It tends to smell like sewage...the two times I was there. So, I quit going there.

Central Texas BBQ in Pearland (on Broadway next to the railroad tracks) is also very good!

I'll throw in an endoresement of Burn's BBQ in Acres Homes (DePriest St.). Ribs are very good. Sausage is spicy. Sauce is rich and tangy. The Burns experience is worth the trip. Small counter for ordering, cash only, drinks available from only from the pop machine. Seating is at picnic tables outside. Mrs. Burns handles the counter and is fun to talk to if you get by there early or after the lunch rush.

Sometimes you can styrofoam trays of meat that consist of single ribs and brisket ends. Look for a paper plate taped to the wall that says "we have 'regulars'". For $10, you get a huge tray of meat. Always fun to pick up when they are available.

Near Houston, I like (both of these are small places) Robert's Smokehouse (Pasadena, on Southmore St.) and Randy's Smokehouse (on Old Galveston Rd near El Dorado). At both places, the BBQ brisket is lean and tender. The sauces are good -- they go well with the way they smoke their meat.

I also like County Line, but it's rare I go there due to distance of the location from where I live.

Spring Creek BBQ (it's a chain, more than one location -- HWY 290 near 1960) is very good too. With that one, location is also a problem, but would stop there on the way somewhere else. I prefer it over Carl's as Carl's always seems to have some kind of plumbing problem when I go there. It tends to smell like sewage...the two times I was there. So, I quit going there.

Central Texas BBQ in Pearland (on Broadway next to the railroad tracks) is also very good!

I have smelled that before...though not in the restaurant, it was very apparent outside on the patio...but I have never sat out there, just walked through. I wonder what it is that they don't seem to do anything about it.

I do love the beef ribs at Pappas. Goode company is a houston classic. Ive got to add Beavers to the list, especially if you like the Carolina pulled pork with vinegar.

Beavers is just so-so for pulled pork, and IMO to expensive for what is served. I grew up in the Carolina's and after 20+ years in Texas and a road warrior to boot, I'm still looking for comparable pulled pork west of the Mississippi.

I have smelled that before...though not in the restaurant, it was very apparent outside on the patio...but I have never sat out there, just walked through. I wonder what it is that they don't seem to do anything about it.

Yeah, it's outside...I didn't notice it inside...but still...

I know they have some kind of pond out there...but even if it is that that is stinking, they should do something about it...

I don't know how many customers they lose because of that. :lol:

The BBQ at Otto's in the Chase Tunnel is not good. That's disappointing because I remember the Otto's off Memorial favorably.

The ribs are tough, sausage is thick-skinned, cole slaw floating in 'juice', dirty rice - I couldn't eat it.

On the other hand, the sauce, pickles and onions were outstanding.

The BBQ at Otto's in the Chase Tunnel is not good. That's disappointing because I remember the Otto's off Memorial favorably.

The ribs are tough, sausage is thick-skinned, cole slaw floating in 'juice', dirty rice - I couldn't eat it.

On the other hand, the sauce, pickles and onions were outstanding.

Yeah, I agree wholeheartedly...that tunnel Ottos is nasty!

I don't know if I listed it or not, but I also like Pizzitola's BBQ on Shepherd. Although...it is a bit pricey!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not a BBQ authority but for me, if I taste plenty of smokey flavor in the sliced or chopped beef, I like. I rarely order anything else.

Thelma's BBQ

-She's the BBQ Nazi. Try not to piss her off! But don't let that keep you from going there. Being able to say that you got yelled at by Ms. Thelma for making a petty mistake while making your order can be considered a badge of honor.

It has always been hit or miss at Thelma's. Lately, it hasn't been as good as before. She seems short handed, but you still get a large amount of food. And if you're not in the mood for BBQ, the fried catfish is always top notch. In my opinion, it has always has been better than her BBQ.

Rudy's

-When I first tried it, I thought that the spicy smoke was too overpowering. I thought my chopped beef sandwich it tasted like it was made in an asphalt smoker. But this place has grown on me and now I think it's one of the best in town. They need to open another one closer to town and I wish the sandwiches were a bit bigger.

Demeris (on Shepherd)

- I was never very impressed with Demeris. Not that it's bad, but there's not much flavor in the meat. Same goes with Luther's when it was around.

Otto's (Stafford The Fountains)

-Same opinion as Demeris.

Waller County Line BBQ

-Stopped by a couple of times when I passed by. The line is long during the weekends. The meat is OK. Not as much flavor. I made the mistake of ordering my chopped beef sandwich with their sweet sauce. It tasted like eating chopped beef with syrup.

Burn's BBQ

-Tried it once after reading the recent Texas Monthly review and it didn't disappoint. Full flavor and very simple. If it's this good every day, then it is one of the best in town.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived