Houston City Centre

WesternGulf

at skyscraperpage.com, in the texas/south central, houston update, a map says that the property hines bought is where city center is supposed to go. is hines building it or is city center a bust and they took the property for thier own new thing?

Other than the Trans America building, I can't see anything so special about SF's skyline. Flat roof city! (by law no less) And what's so special about Seattle's? (other than that fantastic Space Needle and new football stadium, of course)

There is the inferiority complex thing. Stuff that's constructed in San Francisco or Seattle are construed as automatically better than what's in Houston. Personally, I think San Fran's skyline is just an overgrown version of Ft Worth's, plus a nice pyramid. Seattle, I don't get either. I've never seen an angle of the Emerald City's that compares to H-town's skyline views going down south on 45 or from the up ramp coming from 288 on to 59 South. Those are nice skylines but they don't look as sharp or striking as Houston's.

Actually, Worldlyman, I think I may have to take back what I said about SF's skyline. Now that Rincon Tower is almost complete the SF skyline has become a lot more interesting IMO. Rincon Tower is about 60 floors and is built away from the other tall buildings. It has that Williams Tower effect going on as you come into SF from the Bay Bridge. There are no buildings nearby anywhere close to its height (for the time being) and it stands all alone, commanding a lot of attention.

They built this tower really fast, back in April when I made that comment, the tower just barely stood out, nothing special, but over the summer when those upper floors went up, people really started noticing it. I don't think anyone noticed this building until it got up around 40 floors. Those last 20 made a HUGE difference in that location. The tower is practically built right on the freeway lanes of the entry to the Bay Bridge. I've never seen a skyscraper built so close to a freeway.

They interviewed a bunch of local SF people on the news for opinions of this building. Many liked it, but there were several weirdos who were complaining about how they think Rincon has ruined the SF skyline for the exact reason that I think it has become much better. Some people were complaining that it just doesn't fit, and although I see why they would say that, I think it has made the skyline much more dynamic and dramatic.

There are many tall buildings under construction in SF these days, the number of cranes in South of Market area are putting Downtown Houston and uptown Dallas to shame. And some of the ones planned could drastically alter SF's skyline for the better.

I first got obsessed with tall buildings as a little kid when I saw "The Towering Inferno" and in the movie there is that awsome shot of the ficticious 135 floor building in SF with all the lights on viewed from across the bay, on the Oakland side. Rincoln tower has that same majestic effect when viewed from the east bay and from the bridge as you come in. The top floors of Rincon are tapered a bit, which really reminds me of the "Glass Tower". It gives me chills every time I see it as I come in to the city from the Bay Bridge.

Rincon is the tall tower on the left side of the photo. This photo must have been taken 6 months ago. The exterior looks nearly finished today. The really tall one in the middle of the photo doesn't exist at the moment. It is just a rendering of a new proposed building that has been photoshopped on to a real photo of SF. If they build that one it will reallly change the skyline. I wish I could find a photo of SF from the east bay to illustrate my point, but I guess this will have to do for now.

post-1628-1192311135.jpg

Edited by Mister X

I rarely make an appearance in this section, but I have to respond to the statements about San Fran. It's one of the most beautiful cities in the world, period.

Adios

I agree it's one of the most beautiful cities... but I don't find the "skyline" that impressive. I love the Trans America building... but nothing else really stands out. I think Houston's skyline is more eye appealing... especially the view coming southbound on 45 as the sun is setting... amazing! :wub:

There is the inferiority complex thing. Stuff that's constructed in San Francisco or Seattle are construed as automatically better than what's in Houston. Personally, I think San Fran's skyline is just an overgrown version of Ft Worth's, plus a nice pyramid. Seattle, I don't get either. I've never seen an angle of the Emerald City's that compares to H-town's skyline views going down south on 45 or from the up ramp coming from 288 on to 59 South. Those are nice skylines but they don't look as sharp or striking as Houston's.

Perhaps, but what they lack in skyline, they more than make up for in real city life, which is more than can be said for Houston.

I first got obsessed with tall buildings as a little kid when I saw "The Towering Inferno" and in the movie there is that awsome shot of the ficticious 135 floor building in SF with all the lights on viewed from across the bay, on the Oakland side. Rincoln tower has that same majestic effect when viewed from the east bay and from the bridge as you come in. The top floors of Rincon are tapered a bit, which really reminds me of the "Glass Tower". It gives me chills every time I see it as I come in to the city from the Bay Bridge.

Me too. I saw "TTI" and i have been hooked ever since.

m. B)

hey any more news on this yet? i would love to hear some inside info.

Indeed. Everytime I see a new post before I click on the thread, I say to myself "Hmm... I hope it's an update on this project", but I unfortunately get let down whenever I see the posts mention nothing at all but San Francisco. Sorry to sound rude.

Indeed. Everytime I see a new post before I click on the thread, I say to myself "Hmm... I hope it's an update on this project", but I unfortunately get let down whenever I see the posts mention nothing at all but San Francisco. Sorry to sound rude.

Not at all. There never has been any news on this, just a rendering.

• 3 weeks later...
Curious whats real city life?

Being at the mercy of public transportation or circling the block forever trying to find a place to park your car, paying through the nose for small living spaces, lugging your groceries and anything else you buy several blocks to where you live, shopping in small, crowded stores, foregoing a backyard.

Of course, anyone pining for that experience is free to live in any number of places that feature these charms rather than trying to turn Houston into one.

Being at the mercy of public transportation or circling the block forever trying to find a place to park your car, paying through the nose for small living spaces, lugging your groceries and anything else you buy several blocks to where you live, shopping in small, crowded stores, foregoing a backyard.

Awe, that reminded me of Chicago--then I laughed.

• 2 months later...
Does anyone have any more news/information on this project? It's been awfully quiet for a long time.

I kind of get the feeling this project doesn't exist. All we've ever seen is a rendering. But at the same time, we haven't identified the "four office towers" the chron and other sources continue mentioning in downtown developments, have we?

I kind of get the feeling this project doesn't exist. All we've ever seen is a rendering. But at the same time, we haven't identified the "four office towers" the chron and other sources continue mentioning in downtown developments, have we?

Exactly. That chron article talking about the growth of the Texas Medical Center mentioned four office buildings. It really makes me wonder if City Centre is one of them.

wouldnt the four office buildings be Mainplace, 6 Houston Center, Discovery Tower, and... crap, i dont know the other one; there is either OPP, Embassy Suites, and the La Quinta. but they are all hotel/condo towers (the last 3 mentioned). oh wait, maybe they are also counting the 11 story building that is apart of Houston Pavilions.

Okay, here is the link for the list of projects and I don't think I'll count the HP as one of the towers since it's not "proposed" but a reality.

but using that standard, does that mean that "Mainplace" is not one of the four that was mentioned in the Sarnoff's article, because she states that "at least four new office buildings" are planned.

And no, La Quinta, Embassy Suites, and The Omni don't count.

What is on our known list on towrs.com just doesn't seem to add up to what Sarnoff is saying.

If someone else can come up with a logical list, then by all means.

The four other buildings (aside from MainPlace) that Nancy Sarnoff referenced in her article were

1) Brookfield site near the Continental building

2) 6 Houston Center

3) Discovery Tower

4) Possible Hines tower site on Main (again, not MainPlace). This one is in the same location as the City Center that this thread discusses.

The four other buildings (aside from MainPlace) that Nancy Sarnoff referenced in her article were

1) Brookfield site near the Continental building

2) 6 Houston Center

3) Discovery Tower

4) Possible Hines tower site on Main (again, not MainPlace). This one is in the same location as the City Center that this thread discusses.

Do we have threads, articles or any other proof of #1,2 or 4? I remember someone mentioning those, but only from them. I don't remember seeing any sources that those are even possibilities.

Do we have threads, articles or any other proof of #1,2 or 4? I remember someone mentioning those, but only from them. I don't remember seeing any sources that those are even possibilities.

I think we're going off the original 4 proposals mentioned in the article from last August that announced MainPlace. They were mentioned near the end of the piece in addition to this map. I recall Brookfield may have had two buildings planned on the west side of DT though...

4towers.jpg

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

I think we're going off the original 4 proposals mentioned in the article from last August that announced MainPlace. They were mentioned near the end of the piece in addition to this map. I recall Brookfield may have had two buildings planned on the west side of DT though...

ah, now I remember :) Thanks. Do Brookfield and Cresent have websites?

ah, now I remember :) Thanks. Do Brookfield and Cresent have websites?

Proposals for 1500 Smith Street, the Gateway Site & the possible Allen Center Garage tower are listed on Brookfield's site here:

http://www.brookfieldproperties.com/proper...development.cfm

Crescent doesn't have anything listed on their website, but it was mentioned in the MainPlace article...

And Crescent Real Estate Equities Co., the Fort Worth firm that was recently acquired by affiliates of Morgan Stanley Real Estate, is also moving forward with plans for a new tower at the Houston Center project on the east end of downtown.

The proposed 29-story building, designed by HKS of Dallas and to be named 6 Houston Center, will have 583,582 square feet of rentable space, said Joseph Pitchford, a vice president of Crescent.

Groundbreaking will occur in February with completion expected in the first quarter of 2010, Pitchford said.