Houston City Centre

WesternGulf

Proposals for 1500 Smith Street, the Gateway Site & the possible Allen Center Garage tower are listed on Brookfield's site here:

http://www.brookfieldproperties.com/proper...development.cfm

Crescent doesn't have anything listed on their website, but it was mentioned in the MainPlace article...

There is no way Brookfield adds more office space without adding parking. I work in Two Allen and the Allen Center garage is already packed.

Proposals for 1500 Smith Street, the Gateway Site & the possible Allen Center Garage tower are listed on Brookfield's site here:

Crescent doesn't have anything listed on their website, but it was mentioned in the MainPlace article...

Very nice. Thanks for that.

They say 1500 Smith could accommodate 800,000-1 Mil sqf. What size building would that more or less be?

According to the chron map, the Gateway is the only of the two listed. (I don't know where the "Gateway" site actually is, but it's not on Smith, so.) Plus, the Chron article says "at least" four. That must be where 1500 Smith comes in since it is not on the map.

Do these possible towers have their own threads? Should they?

And Brookfield has both of them listed as "pre-development" right now. Does that mean there's a good chance of them being built or could that just mean they're considering it?

Edited by lockmat

I'm not sure how accurate this is but I remember the mayor saying something around the time of the initial park land purchase and design process. He said that many developers had expressed interest in nearby lots close to the park (Disco Green)as the city was going through the process of setting a program for and then designing the park. I forgot exactly where I heard this because it was a while back.....but think about it.

Do we know of any lots that were developed DIRECTLY because of the park?.....yes... One Park Place.

Oddly enough, Disco Tower and Embassy Suites are located bordering the park. La Quinta...Minute Maid has been there since 2000 but this property is purchased 4 months before the preview of Disco Green. I don't think this is a coincidence and I will go on to say that I believe that some developers somewhere are thinking of ways to develop lots close to the park because they own them. If only we know what could be in store.

Go back and look at the proposed and under construction map of downtown for new projects. There sure is a bunch of activity on that side of downtown but the question remains -When will we get concrete information about City Centre? Either the rendering prematurely leaked onto the web or a developer hired a firm to come up with a scheme to see if it could be feasible. I say whether it happens or not it proves that developers are thinking of ways to develop downtown Houston which is a good thing. The market will determine how high of a standard it expects.

The four other buildings (aside from MainPlace) that Nancy Sarnoff referenced in her article were

1) Brookfield site near the Continental building

2) 6 Houston Center

3) Discovery Tower

4) Possible Hines tower site on Main (again, not MainPlace). This one is in the same location as the City Center that this thread discusses.

I think we're going off the original 4 proposals mentioned in the article from last August that announced MainPlace. They were mentioned near the end of the piece in addition to this map. I recall Brookfield may have had two buildings planned on the west side of DT though...

4towers.jpg

Brooksfield was never really discussed as having a "go". 1500 smith was mentioned and even on that website as "pre-development" and was said to be about 3 years away. Citycentre is a possibility, but other than a few renditions, nothing is confirmed.

Discovery tower is another thing that I would put as a "go" but no date has been set for construction and the same thing can be said about Houston Center 6.

I know a number of the projects are keeping their cards close to their chests to keep the competition guessing, but it drives the rest of us crazy.

Brooksfield was never really discussed as having a "go". 1500 smith was mentioned and even on that website as "pre-development" and was said to be about 3 years away. Citycentre is a possibility, but other than a few renditions, nothing is confirmed.

Discovery tower is another thing that I would put as a "go" but no date has been set for construction and the same thing can be said about Houston Center 6.

I know a number of the projects are keeping their cards close to their chests to keep the competition guessing, but it drives the rest of us crazy.

When Trammel Crow announced Discovery Tower they said construction would begin in the 1st Quarter of '08. Since then, I have read in at least one place that construction was to begin this month (Jan '08).

Why do things take so long to get off the ground here?!?!? Its driving me crazy! Seems like other cities get proposals,renderings, financing and then break ground within a year. Maybe I dont care about other cities and is why it seems to take so long here. I do hope that Discovery is not a pipe dream and gets going soon.

Why do things take so long to get off the ground here?!?!? Its driving me crazy! Seems like other cities get proposals,renderings, financing and then break ground within a year. Maybe I dont care about other cities and is why it seems to take so long here. I do hope that Discovery is not a pipe dream and gets going soon.

What is taking so long to get off the ground? And what other cities get proposals, renderings, and financing, then breaks ground within a year? It certaintly isn't Atlanta or Dallas, because I could write a book on projects in those cities that have projects on hold.

You totally missed my point. I said that since I dont care about other cities its seems that things happen faster there than here.

It probably just seems that these projects take longer because you are watching with such anticipation (like watching the toaster).

My experience in multiple cities has shown that the time between announcement and activity (if any) varies based on numerous factors including: the aggressiveness of the developers, the actual probability that anything will happen (initial buzz factor), and of course changing market conditions.

Some of these projects get built right away while others never happen at all. That helps keep these boards interesting, albeit sometimes disappointing.

• 4 weeks later...

In a word, no. Remember how crappy it was when Hines plopped a half-block parking garage in the Main St. light rail pedestrian corridor last year? How is having Disco Tower's full-block garage on the future Rusk St. light rail pedestrian corridor going to be? One more unrewarding block to keep any interesting activity from developing, and one more sterile expanse to remind people in the neighborhood that it's not worth going out.

I hope it dies long enough that when the developers come back, they're compelled to propose something less bare.

Unless you were going back to commenting on City Centre rather than on Discovery Tower now.

In a word, no. Remember how crappy it was when Hines plopped a half-block parking garage in the Main St. light rail pedestrian corridor last year? How is having Disco Tower's full-block garage on the future Rusk St. light rail pedestrian corridor going to be? One more unrewarding block to keep any interesting activity from developing, and one more sterile expanse to remind people in the neighborhood that it's not worth going out.

I hope it dies long enough that when the developers come back, they're compelled to propose something less bare.

Unless you were going back to commenting on City Centre rather than on Discovery Tower now.

Yes, I was referring to City Centre. I sure hope it gets off the ground.

How is having Disco Tower's full-block garage on the future Rusk St. light rail pedestrian corridor going to be?

That kind of sucks but I heard that disco tower would have ground level retail. I wonder how likely it is that it will be in the garage part of the structure (similar to Main Place, right?)

Edited by Jax

In a word, no. Remember how crappy it was when Hines plopped a half-block parking garage in the Main St. light rail pedestrian corridor last year? How is having Disco Tower's full-block garage on the future Rusk St. light rail pedestrian corridor going to be?

It won't "be". The rail line is planned for Capitol, not Rusk.

Hines didn't plop down a garage on Main Street. Sunbelt, the owner of Pennzoil Place, paid for and built a garage on Main Street. Hines was the construction manager of the project. Hines had as much to do with that garages location and aesthetics as you have control over where Gap will build their next store. You ever wonder why all the protests went unheard? It was because everyone was complaining to the wrong company.

• 4 months later...