The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

Maybe some of the people already lined up trying to make offers/deals?

Lightening doesn't strike twice. There aren't that many Ronnie Killens out there, much less people looking for a space for a very high end restaurant. The problems Killen had with the landlords are not going to go away with a new tenant.

How do we know that it was a problem landlord? Maybe Killen was being unreasonable in his demands. All I see here is that one restaurant owner was unable to come to an agreement on a lease with one landlord. There could be myriad reasons for that, only one of which could be a troublesome landlord. IF the Heights is a premier location for high end restaurants, another will take Killen's place. If it is not, then we'll see something else.

Maybe Killen should check with Ainbinder. They would probably work with him and his granite.

How do we know that it was a problem landlord? Maybe Killen was being unreasonable in his demands. All I see here is that one restaurant owner was unable to come to an agreement on a lease with one landlord. There could be myriad reasons for that, only one of which could be a troublesome landlord. IF the Heights is a premier location for high end restaurants, another will take Killen's place. If it is not, then we'll see something else.

Maybe Killen should check with Ainbinder. They would probably work with him and his granite.

It is not every day that two big name chefs walk away from a location within four months of each other. Killen is red hot. His venture in Houston would have printed money. He already sunk real money into building out the location.

Unless someone files a lawsuit, we will never know for sure. But, I wonder whether the parking dispute was because Killen may have wanted a lunch service like he does in Pearland and the landlord wanted to lease the rest of the property for business hours. Stella Sola was dinner only.

High end restrantuers are a fickle bunch. I do not see them rushing in to replace Killens.

Lightening doesn't strike twice. There aren't that many Ronnie Killens out there, much less people looking for a space for a very high end restaurant. The problems Killen had with the landlords are not going to go away with a new tenant.

I've seen lightening strike a million times....

I have heard through a completely unverifiable source that several potential restauranteurs are already in talks... Killen's problems with the landlords probably won't go away your right, but someone else might not have these same problems.

what happened to Torchy's? 19th street could really use an old style general store with all the old school candies and etc. That would be pretty cool.

Torchy's is inked. This is a 2nd tenant on the left side of the building. Deal not yet completed so leasing agent isn't giving details. I have a message in to the property owner to try and get more info.

Downhouse does it far more often than most dry restaurants. The whole restaurant row north of Dallas was dry and they never asked for my membership info there. I find it's hit or miss at any places with Club liscences. This doesn't make it right to not ask, but I guess a busy server/bartender might let a few slide in hopes none are TABC. Downhouse has recently started giving out a laminated card so that once you swipe your DL once and become a member, all you have to do is show the card to the server on any future visits.

• 1 month later...

Not really Heights area, but Garden Oaks. New place called Cottonwood at 3422 North Shepherd, just north of the strip center with Pinks Pizza. Looks like another of the "creek" family of restaurants design style. Anyone know about this? Looks about to open any day. I heard soft opening this weekend.

http://www.theleadernews.com/?p=3018

Never been to Union Station. My preference is always for something original, but this seems to fit the neighborhood. Way more excited about Coltivare. But, I have to give some credit to the developers for putting in ground floor retail when so many other developments going up in parts of town that just scream for ground floor retail and street life have blown off mixed use. I guess the Bikram Yoga studio is not happening.