The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

Houston is only a pedestrian hell if you belong to the romantised NYC pedestrian mindset that thinks you should be able to walk everywhere. If that is what you desire then you're going to grow old waiting for it to happen here. Move to NYC while you are still young and don't mind the cramped apartment shared by two other room mates.

Most folks here enjoy the autonomy a car gives them, even if that means being stuck in traffic. It's their choice, and they relish having choices.

Things are already changing for the better. Passing Council today was a new exemption to the parking requirements allowing businesses to reduce their parking requirements by 10% by trading 1 car space for 4 bike spaces.

• Like 1

Big Mamou had the 3rd best Gumbo on a 1/2 mile stretch of Studewood...  as much as I wanted to love the place (the owners are very nice people) it just never did it for me.  I appreciated the beignets the most... and if they would have been available all the time I would have went a lot more.  Great location, great building, great attitude, the food just wasn't good enough. 

I miss Big Mamou already. Contrary to your thoughts, I always thought their location was a terrible problem. It seemed almost invisible driving past it, the bright lights and traffic of the gas station next door attracted your eyes.  Even worse coming from the north.

I loved their red beans and rice, jambalaya, and a few other items I tried, but started going less and less when their hours started fluctuating. Some of my friends I took there thought the prices were a bit high for what you got. But once they started altering the hours (breakfast/lunch only on some days, Thursday-Sunday lunch only, etc) I figured they were on their last legs. They were nice people, hope they didn't lose too much.

Edited by Scott08

Things are already changing for the better. Passing Council today was a new exemption to the parking requirements allowing businesses to reduce their parking requirements by 10% by trading 1 car space for 4 bike spaces.

More power to businesses who can reduce their required parking space requirements. However reality is going to dictate that the majority of spaces that will be used by actual bike riders will be at hipster bars, coffee shops, yoga studios. (Or staff) You're not going to see a couple taking their tandem to a $$$+ restaurant in July. This just means more cars in neighborhoods.

More power to businesses who can reduce their required parking space requirements. However reality is going to dictate that the majority of spaces that will be used by actual bike riders will be at hipster bars, coffee shops, yoga studios. (Or staff) You're not going to see a couple taking their tandem to a $$$+ restaurant in July. This just means more cars in neighborhoods.

I am really tired of the argument that cycling won't happen in Houston because it is hot in the summer. First, riding a bike in the evening during the summer is actually very pleasant. It is the least humid time of day and when you are out of the direct sunlight, it is very pleasant. Second, while people may not like riding three to four months out of the year, the other eight to nine months are wonderful for riding. Third, one of the most bike friendly cities I have ever visited in North America is Montreal. There are well protected bike lanes that go all over the core urban neighborhoods and longer trails like the Lachine canal that take you out to the suburbs completely protected from cars. For at least three months out of the year, there is so much snow and slush around and it is so cold that people do not ride their bicycles anywhere. But that did not stop them from creating an excellent cycling infrastructure that is essential in the dense urban core neighborhoods where parking is very limited.

Lastly, enough with the hipster crap. This is the Heights not Montrose. I see lots of families out biking in the Heights. I actually prefer taking a bike with my kids to go out to eat because it is easier to lock up a few bikes than to try to find parking on White Oak.

Or put those big rocks between the ditch and the street.

I generally find these rocks to be incredibly offensive. Our neighbor has these blocking on-street parking in the part of their frontage not occupied by driveway.  As a result, theirs cars (or their guests' cars) either pull into the driveway outside the gate, blocking the sidewalk, or park in front of our house.  I realize we don't own the street parking in front of our house, but it's kind of dick move to block parking in front of your own house, and expect it to be available in front of someone else's.

But in the case where there's a legitimate need for an access easement, it's a reasonable solution.

• Like 1

I am really tired of the argument that cycling won't happen in Houston because it is hot in the summer. First, riding a bike in the evening during the summer is actually very pleasant. It is the least humid time of day and when you are out of the direct sunlight, it is very pleasant. 

Lastly, enough with the hipster crap. This is the Heights not Montrose. I see lots of families out biking in the Heights. I actually prefer taking a bike with my kids to go out to eat because it is easier to lock up a few bikes than to try to find parking on White Oak.

This is not entirely correct. The lowest humidity occurs during times of highest temperature, generally early to mid afternoon. However, the evening humidity is generally still lower than in the morning, and after the sun goes down, the temperature drops as well.

Agreed that the Heights is decidedly not hipster, but in many ways Heights residents can be worse. But, I find most inner loop upper income residents to be the same. They want parking for their cars, but don't want parking where they can see it. And, they want to park on your street, but don't want anyone parking on their street. They are very bi-polar in this regard. 

I am really tired of the argument that cycling won't happen in Houston because it is hot in the summer. First, riding a bike in the evening during the summer is actually very pleasant. It is the least humid time of day and when you are out of the direct sunlight, it is very pleasant. Second, while people may not like riding three to four months out of the year, the other eight to nine months are wonderful for riding. Third, one of the most bike friendly cities I have ever visited in North America is Montreal. There are well protected bike lanes that go all over the core urban neighborhoods and longer trails like the Lachine canal that take you out to the suburbs completely protected from cars. For at least three months out of the year, there is so much snow and slush around and it is so cold that people do not ride their bicycles anywhere. But that did not stop them from creating an excellent cycling infrastructure that is essential in the dense urban core neighborhoods where parking is very limited.

Not my intent to hijack, but since I'm Canadian I thought I'd chime in on the bike thing for a quick second. The best trails I've seen are up there.  Vancouver, Calgary, etc and in areas and climates many reading this thread would argue is a waste.  But if Canada can build a 23,000 km coast to coast hike and bike trail, I think Houston can add a few paths in the city and people will use them. http://tctrail.ca/about-the-trail/

Or put those big rocks between the ditch and the street.

I generally find these rocks to be incredibly offensive. Our neighbor has these blocking on-street parking in the part of their frontage not occupied by driveway.  As a result, theirs cars (or their guests' cars) either pull into the driveway outside the gate, blocking the sidewalk, or park in front of our house.  I realize we don't own the street parking in front of our house, but it's kind of dick move to block parking in front of your own house, and expect it to be available in front of someone else's.

But in the case where there's a legitimate need for an access easement, it's a reasonable solution.

You can call 311 and have ROW maintenance remove them or at least fine the homeowners. Putting boulders next to the ditch would be like someone with curb and gutter putting permanent orange cones out.  Another version of this are those people who illegally fill up their ditch with rocks to make an unpermited parking pad and then think that means nobody else can park there. A neighbor of mine once called a tow truck and threw a fit that somebody would have the audacity to park in his parking pad! waaaah!

You can call 311 and have ROW maintenance remove them or at least fine the homeowners. Putting boulders next to the ditch would be like someone with curb and gutter putting permanent orange cones out.  Another version of this are those people who illegally fill up their ditch with rocks to make an unpermited parking pad and then think that means nobody else can park there. A neighbor of mine once called a tow truck and threw a fit that somebody would have the audacity to park in his parking pad! waaaah!

We must live on the same street.  I had an across the street neighbor screaming at the top of his lungs that a pizza delivery person parked in front of his house in the ROW that he put rocks over....the guy was there for maybe 2 minutes to walk to my house and deliver a pizza - literally just long enough to cross the street and hand me a pizza...he was irate...

I don't have any problems at all with street parking (other than I think its ugly) so long as its not inconveniencing others...Really everything were talking about here is a matter of common courtesy....if people used common sense and were polite and courteous things would be fine...problem is that there are not alot of intelligent people...and the ones who are smart enough to know they are causing a problem, are just too selfish to care.  The 1% of us who pay attention to others are usually the ones that are already being inconvenienced.

I am really tired of the argument that cycling won't happen in Houston because it is hot in the summer. First, riding a bike in the evening during the summer is actually very pleasant. It is the least humid time of day and when you are out of the direct sunlight, it is very pleasant.

It is, which is why I choose my bike, rather than my car to exercise in the evening. If I want to actually go *somewhere* with more dining options (recall the title of this thread) I fire up the internal-combustion engine so I spend the least amount of time commuting to and from the restaurant.

I know that this modern world is painful for those that only use bikes, or envy NYC or DC's metro system, but I value my time and prefer not to bring a change of cloths with me when dining out.

Now, if we're talking drinks only, then skinny jeans, an ironic t-shirt, and vintage 80's Kaepa's are the perfect way of saying eff-you to the man while you ride your fixie to Antidote and then follow it with a growler at the place you've never heard of. When it comes to weaving on the way home, I'm cool with the double standard/benefit cyclists have.

Despite Historic efforts to price the "riff-raff" out the Heights still has hipsters. Hipsters. Hipsters on your front lawns, blocking the alleys, buying up all the cheap beer, having 11pm band practice in the garage apartment they rent from your neighbor, changing their '83 Renault Alliance CV joints on the street. Hipsters.

Here's the deal; just because you don't do something doesn't mean that others don't as well.

I am typing this as I wait for my date to get ready. We're going to walk to dinner tonight.

I've used my bike/feet to get to tons of places since I moved back. Granted, I don't do it in the heat of the summer unless we're day drinking outside and I'm going to be sweating regardless.

I've used my bike/feet to get to tons of places since I moved back. Granted, I don't do it in the heat of the summer unless we're day drinking outside and I'm going to be sweating regardless.

If you're pounding back drinks outdoors in the summer heat, then you probably should walk home.

I guess when your riding a tandem after drinking it does not matter who the designated pedaler is.

Here's the deal; just because you don't do something doesn't mean that others don't as well.

I am typing this as I wait for my date to get ready. We're going to walk to dinner tonight.

I walk to Collinas on 19th from 11th along Nicholson all the time...every time of the year.  Its nice in the evening and I get a Menchi's to go on the way home.  Its a weekly event in my house - the kids love it and I dont have to park.  But at the same time - Collina's is a responsible neighbor - their parking lot does not spill into the neighborhood.  Nobody complains about Collina's being a good neighbor.  At least I have not heard of it.

I skateboard everywhere in this city.  As long as they have a patio or outdoor seating its all good.  Moon Tower is a nice easy destination while on a board (or bike).  Heck I skated to juice box one time (awesome fruit w/ shaved ice and condensed milk place) over in chinatown (bellair and beltway 8).  There is no doubt that this city is already getting more bikeable... and the more trails they build the better and more used it will get (though cars will always be most peoples choice).  I really enjoy using my board to go to the bar though.  Skating after a drink or 7 is a way better option than driving.

• Like 2

I skateboard everywhere in this city. As long as they have a patio or outdoor seating its all good. Moon Tower is a nice easy destination while on a board (or bike). Heck I skated to juice box one time (awesome fruit w/ shaved ice and condensed milk place) over in chinatown (bellair and beltway 8). There is no doubt that this city is already getting more bikeable... and the more trails they build the better and more used it will get (though cars will always be most peoples choice). I really enjoy using my board to go to the bar though. Skating after a drink or 7 is a way better option than driving.

My hats off to you. Given the condition of the city streets and my age-related center of gravity shift I would end up being a member of the "Broken" Bones Brigade.

My hats off to you. Given the condition of the city streets and my age-related center of gravity shift I would end up being a member of the "Broken" Bones Brigade.

off topic**

The technology behind skateboards has actually made a huge difference.  Longboards take advantage of this the most (they use bigger wheels) because the biggest advantage nowadays is the advancements in urethane.  New skateboard wheels are made from urethane that is much softer than wheels of old... but at the same time they do not wear out quickly.  My go to board for long treks has very soft 75mm wheels... skateboards of the old days normally had 45-55mm wheels that were hard as rocks.  The big soft wheels allow you to run over sticks, cracks, pinecones, and etc. while also maintaining a longer wheel roll. 

sorta on topic**

I suspect over the next few years we will see more people using longboards to get to local businesses.  This is part of why I think it would benefit any new restaurant to ensure they have good outdoor seating available, if your already a little hot/sweaty from biking/skating/walking to the restaurant you probably won't mind (or would prefer) sitting outside (provided there is shade and fans).  BB's, Onion/Cedar/Dry Creek, Shepard Park, Cottonwood, Jus' Mac are just a few examples of the types of places that would fit that criteria.

on topic**

I'm curious of opening timelines for the brewery on Calvacade, Torcy's, Height General Store, TexMex place going in at white oak and studewood, Ruggles.

Coltivare is seeking a parking variance tomorrow from the planning commission. Long story short, they want to use the parking spaces along the warehouse next door and keep the greenspace next to the building as a garden. The City is stuck on ROW issues again and thinks that the pull in parking spaces along the warehouse should not be used because they do not clear the ROW. Please email the planner Dipti.Mathur@houstontx.gov, and the planning commission pd.planning@houstontx.gov, Marlene.Gafrick@houstontx.gov to voice your support for the variance. If they do not get the variance, they will have to use the greenspace/garden as a parking lot. The parking crush along White Oak is far enough away from this location that there is no reason to be militant on parking for this restaurant.

For once, I kind of agree. Check out these cars blocking the implied sidewalk. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=3320+White+Oak,+Houston,+TX&ll=29.781527,-95.394147&spn=0.001286,0.001206&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&hnear=3320+White+Oak+Dr,+Houston,+Harris,+Texas+77007&gl=us&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=29.781527,-95.394147&panoid=SL_1MTY8aGs1GCqG9BOv8Q&cbp=12,299.74,,0,6.11

Imagining every space full, getting down the sidewalk would be pretty tough.

I personally think street parking all the cars should be fine, but that's considered anathema to Houston's parking planners, so in that context, I'm agreeing with their opinion.

off topic**

The technology behind skateboards has actually made a huge difference.  Longboards take advantage of this the most (they use bigger wheels) because the biggest advantage nowadays is the advancements in urethane.  New skateboard wheels are made from urethane that is much softer than wheels of old... but at the same time they do not wear out quickly.  My go to board for long treks has very soft 75mm wheels... skateboards of the old days normally had 45-55mm wheels that were hard as rocks.  The big soft wheels allow you to run over sticks, cracks, pinecones, and etc. while also maintaining a longer wheel roll. 

Long boards are nothing new.  We had those in the 70s.  Santa Cruz, Sims, etc.  The small wheels was a 90s-00s thing.  Dumb kids.  Kryptonics made 60, 65, and 70mm wheels in the 70s. Orange were soft, blue medium and green hard. 

For once, I kind of agree. Check out these cars blocking the implied sidewalk. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=3320+White+Oak,+Houston,+TX&ll=29.781527,-95.394147&spn=0.001286,0.001206&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&hnear=3320+White+Oak+Dr,+Houston,+Harris,+Texas+77007&gl=us&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=29.781527,-95.394147&panoid=SL_1MTY8aGs1GCqG9BOv8Q&cbp=12,299.74,,0,6.11

Imagining every space full, getting down the sidewalk would be pretty tough.

I personally think street parking all the cars should be fine, but that's considered anathema to Houston's parking planners, so in that context, I'm agreeing with their opinion.

No, there is no problem with pedestrian access. Whoever built the warehouse built a sidewalk along the building. Unless you are incapable of making a 90 degree turn, you will not have any trouble walking by while people are parked in the parking spaces.

This is just the City literally saying "we allowed someone to build these parking spaces in the right of way, but now we won't let you count those parking spaces to meet your parking requirement."

on topic**

I'm curious of opening timelines for the brewery on Calvacade, Torcy's, Height General Store, TexMex place going in at white oak and studewood, Ruggles.

Town-in-City (Cavalcade) is requesting a setback variance (15-ft instead of 25), and the current planning commission agenda indicates it will be deferred a 2nd time this week, so it won't see approval before the end of this month.

The eastern half of the old Harold's building (HGS) looks to have made significant progress on the demo, but signs of actual construction are not apparent from the outside.

No, there is no problem with pedestrian access. Whoever built the warehouse built a sidewalk along the building. Unless you are incapable of making a 90 degree turn, you will not have any trouble walking by while people are parked in the parking spaces.

This is just the City literally saying "we allowed someone to build these parking spaces in the right of way, but now we won't let you count those parking spaces to meet your parking requirement."

Why isn't the sidewalk on the right of way? Supposing I want to protest the warehouse (not that I ever would, but just supposing) would I be trespassing if I were on the sidewalk, their property?

Why isn't the sidewalk on the right of way? Supposing I want to protest the warehouse (not that I ever would, but just supposing) would I be trespassing if I were on the sidewalk, their property?

Ask the City. They permitted it long ago. If this really mattered to the City, why haven't they cited the property owner and forced them to fix the sidewalk? The fact of the matter is that without the variance, they are not going to be able to have a nice garden, people will still park in those spots along the warehouse when the surface lot is full and the sidewalk will still be along the building. If you think that is a good thing for the neighborhood and a reasonable way to treat a small business owner who has added a lot of value to the Heights with Revival Market, then that is unfortunate. But, everyone else wants to see a nice garden and not a parking lot next to this restaurant and sees that the City is being unreasonable in refusing to count parking spaces that the City has already approved as parking spaces and failed to enforce the right of way.

Town-in-City (Cavalcade) is requesting a setback variance (15-ft instead of 25), and the current planning commission agenda indicates it will be deferred a 2nd time this week, so it won't see approval before the end of this month.

Thanks to pressure from the community, the City and Town in City have made peace on the variance issue. The deferral is to give Town in City time to have their architect finalize a compromise plan that the City will support for the 15 ft variance.

I just don't think doubling down on a prior mistake is a good idea. Coltivare knew the city's parking requirements before (8 spaces per 1000 sf), which have also now been relaxed by 10% if Coltivare installs some bike parking.

Edited by kylejack

I just don't think doubling down on a prior mistake is a good idea. Coltivare knew the city's parking requirements before (8 spaces per 1000 sf), which have also now been relaxed by 10% if Coltivare installs some bike parking.

wow.  you'd think they could some how use the revival parking during peak dinner hours (say 7pm on ) or so. 

I am amazed that sidewalk access is an issue.  I have seen some of the most bizarre start\stop sidewalks or sidewalks with utility poles crossing through them all over town.  Am amazed that there is anybody looking at that stuff at all.

Oh, I agree with that entirely. There are light poles dead center on sidewalks in the East End where utility realignment has already occurred for the rail. I've seen several that don't seem ADA compliant to me. The city (or Metro?) is risking a lawsuit, I think.