Exacty. In the next 20 years I believe they want the student population living on campus around 11,000.

That doesn't seem like much. But I guess I'm thinking in comparison to UT or A&M. What's their total student undergrad population and current on campus population right now? Or is that 11,000 including on campus graduate students?

That doesn't seem like much. But I guess I'm thinking in comparison to UT or A&M. What's their total student undergrad population and current on campus population right now? Or is that 11,000 including on campus graduate students?

About 4000 students live in dorms and apartments in and around campus.

By the way, if the goal of 11,000 students on campus is reached that would be about 25% of the 45,000 students to be enrolled in the university. Five percent higher than A&M's current student body living on campus.

Edited by WesternGulf

Houston has more students than Texas Tech? If it is the third largest in Texas then I thought wrong about UH.

UH had 34,334 students enrolled in Fall 2006.

Texas Tech had 27,996 students enrolled in Fall 2006.

UH has been the 3rd largest school in Texas for many years...in fact I believe it's been the 3rd largest for at least 30 years. According to the uh.edu, enrollment at UH first exceeded 30,000 in 1980. Texas Tech's record enrollment was 28,549 in 2003...they've never hit 30,000 enrollment.

Add in the enrollments of UHCL, UH-D, UH-Victoria, UH-Sugar Land, etc., and the total enrollment of the UH System is over 54,000 students.

A recent study showed that UH has a more than $3 BILLION impact annually on the Houston economy. In fact, according to the study, the UH System produces an annual economic impact that is roughly 1/3rd that of the Texas Medical Center, more than 1/2 the economic impact of NASA and its contractors, and an annual economic impact that is roughly double that of Compaq Computers at its peak (before the HP buyout).

Not bad for little ol' Cougar High...

I don't mind underground classrooms but I hope UH never goes the route of connecting buildings through underground walkways. I can admit it can be sometimes tempting when walking in harsh weather (heat or rain) around campus, but in the end I personally would never want it just to keep the vibrancy of the campus.

I totally agree with you there. Once of the nice things about walking around Rice is that there are actually people around! And the way the buildings are designed, you can walk just about everywhere in the rain with a roof over your head (those archway things) and still not be underground. I know some grad students who are in a lab in the basement of Hertzstein Hall with no windows and no natural light. That's gotta suck. At least they have to come outside to walk to other buildings.

I totally agree with you there. Once of the nice things about walking around Rice is that there are actually people around! And the way the buildings are designed, you can walk just about everywhere in the rain with a roof over your head (those archway things) and still not be underground. I know some grad students who are in a lab in the basement of Hertzstein Hall with no windows and no natural light. That's gotta suck. At least they have to come outside to walk to other buildings.

TS Allison showed us another reason not to connect every building underground: flooding. UH already has a massive system of underground tunnels connecting all the buildings, all for utilities and heating/cooling, I believe.

Unfortunately, those tunnels led to massive flooding on campus during TS Allison...although water didn't completely inundate the campus, 90 out of 105 buildings on campus flooded due to the tunnels that interconnected all the buildings.

I believe UH undertook a big floodproofing project shortly after TS Allison, like that of the Texas Medical Center, which suffered similar problems.

I don't think you'll see any pedestrian tunnels at UH anytime soon. They just wouldn't make sense...look at the pattern of sidewalks on campus. They go everywhere. There are so many different destinations that you couldn't build a tunnel to go to and from everywhere people wanted to go.

As far as the elements go, I just always packed an umbrella...otherwise you run in the rain. One good thing about the size of the UH campus is that kept me in good shape. I figure I walked an average of 5 miles a day crossing the campus back in the day. I'd park over by the Quad or at Cambridge Oaks, where I could hang out with friends in the dorms, then walk over to the engineering buildings, then back to the dorms between classes, then back to the engineering buildings, and repeat this several times every day. And of course, the walks were always at a brisk pace due to my habit of running late... ;)

45,000 students? So, UH is the third largest university in Texas, in one of the U.S.' largest?

45,000 is nothing more than a goal to be reached in the next 20 years. As stated above UH's enrollment is currently around, and has been for a long time, 35,000 students.

Edited by WesternGulf

Wonder if anyone here has ever been to UCLA and the Westwood Village area? Very similar to Rice Village, theaters, fine restaurants, bars it is so neat. Could U Of H Main campus ever be close to that. Out of the question?

a09dde8b3b86833f1b10c11019504a08.jpegNitePrem.jpg

TS Allison showed us another reason not to connect every building underground: flooding. UH already has a massive system of underground tunnels connecting all the buildings, all for utilities and heating/cooling, I believe.

Unfortunately, those tunnels led to massive flooding on campus during TS Allison...although water didn't completely inundate the campus, 90 out of 105 buildings on campus flooded due to the tunnels that interconnected all the buildings.

I believe UH undertook a big floodproofing project shortly after TS Allison, like that of the Texas Medical Center, which suffered similar problems.

I don't think you'll see any pedestrian tunnels at UH anytime soon. They just wouldn't make sense...look at the pattern of sidewalks on campus. They go everywhere. There are so many different destinations that you couldn't build a tunnel to go to and from everywhere people wanted to go.

As far as the elements go, I just always packed an umbrella...otherwise you run in the rain. One good thing about the size of the UH campus is that kept me in good shape. I figure I walked an average of 5 miles a day crossing the campus back in the day. I'd park over by the Quad or at Cambridge Oaks, where I could hang out with friends in the dorms, then walk over to the engineering buildings, then back to the dorms between classes, then back to the engineering buildings, and repeat this several times every day. And of course, the walks were always at a brisk pace due to my habit of running late... ;)

the tunnel flooding issue is very true. when it rains alot another place that is known for flooding is in front of the college of architecture building. everytime it would flood we would build boats and try to float on them, LOL

i'm a u of h grad and well u of h isn't anything compared to rice. that's like comparing oranges to apples, lol. u of h students would go to the rice campus to look at their architecture and how the planning of pedestrian traffic was layed out for learning purposes.

u of h has a large amount of students and are always looking for ways to promote themselves to attract even more students, and i wouldn't be surprised when they meet that goal of 45k students.

Wonder if anyone here has ever been to UCLA and the Westwood Village area? Very similar to Rice Village, theaters, fine restaurants, bars it is so neat. Could U Of H Main campus ever be close to that. Out of the question?

a09dde8b3b86833f1b10c11019504a08.jpegNitePrem.jpg

I've walked around Westwood several times and have driven around the UCLA campus, but I actually walked around the UCLA campus this past weekend. I have to say I was thoroughly impressed. The view around Royce Hall and the library is absolutely beautiful. Having attended U of H, I think it's definitely possible especially with this new plan in place, to fill in parking lots with new buildings for class and dorms. I do think it might take a little time though before we ever see the type of activity that there is around Westwood.

I've walked around Westwood several times and have driven around the UCLA campus, but I actually walked around the UCLA campus this past weekend. I have to say I was thoroughly impressed. The view around Royce Hall and the library is absolutely beautiful. Having attended U of H, I think it's definitely possible especially with this new plan in place, to fill in parking lots with new buildings for class and dorms. I do think it might take a little time though before we ever see the type of activity that there is around Westwood.

I went to westwood plenty when I was going to college in LA, but I don't ever remember it being as busy as the movie theatre shot shows. Looks like it may have been during some premier though.

Anyone ever go to DeeDee Reeses? Or was it DiDi? Best deal ever for the ice cream cookie sandwich.

Edited by lockmat

Yeah, I gained about 15 or 20 pounds within just a few months of having graduated from UH. Its amazing what walking up to a mile and a half four days out of the week can do for you.

You definitely get used to the walking and it helps the Chick-Fil-A go down.

Someone mentioned earlier about underground classes. I would hate a class underground. I already hate classes with no windows. I'd feel trapped and totally uninspired :ph34r: . I'd be more distracted trying to find some kind of MacGyver way to get out of there into the open. Big open spaces with lots of sunshine are better. Does someone smell a tad of clastrophobia?

Anyway the whole new plan on expanding UofH sounds great. I only wish I would have had the chance to experience it.

I don't see how they would justify closing off Cullen since it's a major traffic corridor for that part of town, but I DO see buildings eventually spanning the street, though.

The amount of expansion is strictly limited by the amount of space available and their campus is quite substantial, they're already figuring out a way to make more efficient use of their parking spaces, and once they get serviced by TWO rail lines, that should make it more attractive to students to live on campus who won't be able to afford to have a car and still be able to maintain a quality of life off campus as well.

While driving on campus a few weeks ago, I was amazed by how much land they had purchased up to the two spires marking the entrance of the campus (which I shouldn't be surprised, actually), but it also makes me wonder if they're going to eventually purchase the land along the Gulf Freeway up to Scott.

One thing I think they need to do is to build a new sports stadium, that thing is almost embarrassing as far as it's design goes.

Excting stuff. Since it looks like UH will be an example of what regulated land use can do for an area, it might be our only hope for a true urban environment in Houston. Considering there are so many of us that are salivating for this type of urban development with continuity amongst a large area, I can only see positives for this area of town in the near future. People will no longer have to deal with the guessing game of what my neighborhood will become, i.e. Midtown. Although I will be moving to San Francisco after this upcoming semester, I will have my eye on the progress happening at ol' U of H. Thanks for that update TransitNut. I am proud we have such visionaries working for U of H. Usually when I see plans of things, I would offer my "constructive criticisms" of how to tweak them, I can say a lot of the plans are perfect and puts this area at its full potential. Love that stretch of Calhoun.

One thing I think they need to do is to build a new sports stadium, that thing is almost embarrassing as far as it's design goes.

True, It's way to dated.

Not sure if anyone here recalls but the corner of 45/Cullen on U of H side had a brand new Exxon gas station (only stood for about 5 years and was so convenient for students) and all the way in were various restaurants ie; Pizza Inn, Wendy's, Burger King. It was pretty much an eating area for students. Across from the street from these eateries were rows of 1940's style homes. Was cleared and those spires were added with U of H sign above/sides. Sure it looks cleaner now but the food was what everyone wanted.

Makes me wonder if they will ever try to incorporate eating establishments in to any new scheme? Just a thought. Peace. :)

The stadium needs an upgrade and expansion. But I don't think it looks too bad.

stadiumwide-450w.jpg

RobertsonStadium-002.jpg

robertson.jpg

What's so "dated" about Robertson? Sure, it needs further renovation and upgrades, but it's younger than many sports stadiums all over the country. Maybe they also need to raze Wrigley, given its age, as well :rolleyes:

What they really need to do is build a classroom underneath, so they can get millions from the state to build the expansion. That ruse certainly worked in Austin.

You know I never thought about the stadium but I actually don't think it's that bad. That's a massive compliment from me as I'm always for new and modern improvements and walk around campus with a barf bag because of some of the disgusting buildings. I'm scared that if they built a new one, they would go overboard with it and be something where they try too hard, like the Beijing Olympic Stadium :lol:

Edited by flyingman

Robertson Stadium is a Works Progress Administration-era structure. It was completed before the United States entered World War II. Although I love the stadium itself - it's a great place to see a game - it has its shortcomings, namely in regards to capacity, amenities and handicapped accessibility.

The expansion and renovation it received prior to the 1999 season, i.e. the lowered field, new seating tier, endzone seating and four restroom and concession pods, can be regarded as the first phase of a long-term project to upgrade, modernize and expand the stadium. The next step will be to complete the endzone facility in the north endzone. That is the most crucial need at this point and that is what UH Athletics Director Dave Maggard is currently focusing on. Once the endzone facility is complete, then we can look at refurbishing (or a complete demo-and-rebuild) of the west and east grandstands themselves as demand warrants.

Anyway, a couple of interesting tidbits from the .ppt presentations on UH's Facilities Planning page:

- Apparently, UH plans to build a new parking garage across Calhoun from the Calhoun Lofts development; the graphic says "January 2009" but I can't tell if that's a start date or a completion date. The graphic indicates that the Pizza Hut and the strip center containing the Chinese Star will be demolished to make room for this parking garage. Hopefully, the Pizza Hut and the Chinese Star can be relocated to another venue prior to construction. The Chinese Star, specifically, is a campus institution and I'd hate to see it completely disappear.

- A "soft closure" (whatever that means) of Cullen is planned for the summer of 2008. It looks like UH is already in the process of "taking" Cullen and Holman from the City of Houston. METRO, as has been noted, has already routed all of their buses off of Cullen in anticipation of this street's closure. Personally, I'm not too fond about the imminent closure of Cullen - how will I get to Combat Kroger once Cullen is closed? - but this has been in the works for a long time.

It will be interesting to watch what happens in and around campus over the next several years.

Here are some renderings of UH's proposed end zone facility (Leo Daly Architects). There were released in April 2007. Funds are not in place yet for this facility, but I think it will be part of the upcoming +/- $700 million capital fund drive for UH.

421868.jpg

421869.jpg

421870.jpg

As I've read it will add +/- 8,000 seats to Roberson (bringing the total capacity near 40,000).

1st floor - locker rooms, weight rooms, football offices, meeting rooms

2nd floor - alumni meeting rooms, retail (probably gift shop)

3rd floor - luxury suites

I thought at one time I had heard about a restaurant going in as well, but maybe that's out the window.

I'm all for the improvement of Robertson, but I think it's a jewel as it is. No, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of Reliant Stadium, but that's a positive in my book. There's no better place in Houston to see a FOOTBALL GAME than Robertson Stadium. I'm there for the game on the field, not the amenities. I know not everyone feels that way, and many people that go to games at Reliant or Toyota Center or Minute Maid could care less about what's happening on the field, but I'm there for the action. I think most Coog fans agree with me on that.

Robertson has everything I need in a stadium: seats, beer, and restrooms. Everything else is just gold-plating.

Cool update for the endzone facility. I haven't seen it before, TimmyChan.

However, why would they put this in the "north" endzone? Wont that block the view of downtown from the rest of the stadium? I hope I am just confused on the directions, but I think that would be the case.

It would be a shame to lose the skyline view. That's one of the best things about the current Robertson set-up. I would think that if this were placed in the south endzone, the views from the luxury boxes would be impressive.

OK. what's so dated about the stadium?

Sorry, I was actually referring to the Hofheinz Pavilion, I had to finish the post suddenly and forgotten all about the post afterwards.

But yeah, they either need to seriously upgrade it or just raze it and start again.