Earth Quest Adventures

Boris

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have signage.

Thanks, signs don't excite me anymore. I have seen too many signs sit in places for years saying coming soon, but nothing ever happens. Hopefully that is not the case with this one. If the sign says opening 2012/2013, doesn't that mean construction should start soon?

Your welcome, I live to excite you.

I'm just excited that there isn't a sign on the EarthQuest property that says 'for sale'.

I think this is a good sign that progress is moving forward on this project if you'll forgive the pun. This is the first physical evidence at the site that anything is happing at all - so yes, I'm a little more excited than I was the day before the sign went up.

A sign isn't exactly a sworn oath under penalty of perjury that the project will be built , but it's still better than no sign.

Several months ago, I spoke with the head honcho of the East Montgomery County Improvement District, who is this project's biggest advocate. Back in April or so, the plan was to break ground in the spring of next year. I doubt that plan has changed at all. The reason it was going to take so long had to do with the infrastructure upgrades necessary to support a project like this had to be completed, or at least near completion, before it could be feasible to even begin construction. I'm not sure if everyone's aware of this, but New Caney used to be a sparsely populated backwater, and with the exception of US 59 running through it, had little need for heavy infrastructure. This park changed the area's needs pretty dramatically. Building this place isn't as simple as constructing just the park. Many, many things need to be developed alongside the park in order for the park to work.

I have little doubt this project will go ahead as planned. Too much work has already been done to back out now. What I'd like to see now is a better website to placate all the doubting Thomases, but from my understanding that's currently being built too.

I support this park as it is currently described in the media. I believe it will bring much needed jobs and development into the county.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/conroe/news/6641370.html

Ground breaking now scheduled for Dec 2010 (more likely 1st Qtr 2011) from the original 2008 time frame.

I live 2 miles from the proposed location for this park and am inside the EMCID. My main concern is that the money loaned to Marlin Atlantis may not be repayed if this development fails. Mega projects like this take time to develop but the constant delays would lead most people to be skeptical.

Thanks, signs don't excite me anymore. I have seen too many signs sit in places for years saying coming soon, but nothing ever happens. Hopefully that is not the case with this one. If the sign says opening 2012/2013, doesn't that mean construction should start soon?

No it means opening 2015/2016 :D

I support this park as it is currently described in the media. I believe it will bring much needed jobs and development into the county.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/conroe/news/6641370.html

Ground breaking now scheduled for Dec 2010 (more likely 1st Qtr 2011) from the original 2008 time frame.

I live 2 miles from the proposed location for this park and am inside the EMCID. My main concern is that the money loaned to Marlin Atlantis may not be repayed if this development fails. Mega projects like this take time to develop but the constant delays would lead most people to be skeptical.

Dec 2010 to start. That makes me mad! Why not Dec 2009, or NOW!

There is a void in the market and has been for several years, but they are taking their sweet a## time to build this thing. I kind of wish they wouldn't have announced it until Dec 2010 when they actually start.

Shoot, just move the park south of pearland!!! New Caney is too far from the City Center anyway!

I don't think moving it south is a good idea, it would probably get destroyed every time there is a hurricane. I think Katy would be nice or out near Hockley.

Dec 2010 to start. That makes me mad! Why not Dec 2009, or NOW!

It's a half billion dollar project. It ain't always easy to come up with those type of funds. Perhaps you can use your personal contacts to help the metro lobby Warren Buffet to get moving quicker on this.

I have lost some confidence in the project. deferrals have been going on for several years now. Changing plans, changing scope, changing financing, and of course changing the schedule. Seems like Disney just did it it Florida but that was decades ago and he was probably self financed.

• 4 weeks later...

The Chamber of Commerce updated their site and has some minor updates...

Sept 2009 - The EarthQuest project continues to progress. The developer, Global EarthQuest Ventures, has completed the exciting design for the EarthQuest Adventures theme park and expects to break ground on the project in the next 18 months.

http://www.community....php/earthquest

And put your Patient Seat Belt on...

The theme park, where construction likely won’t begin for a couple of years, she said, should attract three million visitors a year.

http://www.hcnonline.../ccourt0929.txt

Seems like conflicting information unless I'm just reading it out of context.

edit...

Were we aware of this before? Maybe so but I don't feel like going back through the thread.

The dinosaur theme park will be situated toward the rear of the park and will feature several roller coasters that will go in and around the mountains constructed as a part of the theme.

There will be a temperate side of the mountain which will simulate a rain-forest like atmosphere, another side will showcase volcano-like activity and yet another side will feature a snowy climate.

“There are different components for each side and a centerpiece connecting all the different parts, which is like the center of the park,” McCrady said.

The actual park itself is around 200 acres and several hotels are already slated to be built around the park including a hotel featuring rooms situated in the tree tops that offer a view of the park.

http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2009/09/29/conroe_courier/news/ccourt0929.txt

The Chamber of Commerce updated their site and has some minor updates...

http://www.community....php/earthquest

And put your Patient Seat Belt on...

Seems like conflicting information unless I'm just reading it out of context.

edit...

Were we aware of this before? Maybe so but I don't feel like going back through the thread.

About six months ago, I called the chamber and was told ground breaking was supposed to happen this coming spring. I guess it's getting more and more difficult to garner a full half billion dollars of financing. Six months ago we were firmly entrenched in this economic meltdown, so now I'm wondering if that time frame given was just an optimistic guess.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a huge, vacant piece of land accross from Reliant Stadium that would be perfect for a park such as this. There is also a walkway crossing the freeway to link the two areas.

I have to disagree with you regarding the use of "huge". It is a nice sized lot, but Astroworld was landlocked in its final years which prevented growth for new rides and themed areas.

I would never want a new amusement park in that parcel without opportunities to expand.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

Just FYI - I'm attending the initial EarthQuest Institute fundraising kick-off social hour/dinner/presentation next Tuesday evening (Dec. 8) up at the East Montgomery County Improvement District. Presentations will be made on both EarthQuest Adventures theme park and the Institute museum components -

Chris Brown of Contour Entertainment (conceptual designers and master-planners, responsibile for the great renderings we've seen),

"Dino" Don Lessem (brainchild behind the whole effort),

Dr. Matt Gardner (director of EarthQuest Institute), and

gentlemen from Marlin Atlantis (project developer) will all be on-hand to deliver the updated info.

The physical models (which were very shortly on display about 1 year ago) will again be on display at this event.

I'll do my best to provide a detailed summary of what information is delivered next week - hopefully we'll have several absolutions regarding groudbreaking for vertical structures (instead of civil infrastructure, which apparently may have already started on areas of the site), and current overall schedules for the various components of at least the entertainment half (west half) of the development.

Also, maybe we'll get some details regarding specific rides and attractions within the theme park and Institute will begin to be discussed...

Look for a big update from me by sometime next Wednesday (12/9) -

Archived