Turnberry Galleria Luxury High-Rise At 5048 Hidalgo St.

Correct...

Courtesy of WesternGulf from SkyscraperPage Forum... who said it's courtesy of Shasta.

http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1...rnberry1pp8.jpg

Looks like the building itself will actually be situated in a north/south way as opposed to east/west, like say The Mark is. I wasn't expecting that... but maybe they want a lot of people to have a Downtown view. It kind of reminds me of the Mark... shape-wise... still a much nicer building, though. This definitely won't block the amazing view of the Williams Tower when coming up 610 from the south.

What a disapointing design! Why can't Houston get something interesting like the project recently announced in Atlanta? see attached...

post-3101-1173463543.jpg

post-3101-1173463578.jpg

Correct...

Courtesy of WesternGulf from SkyscraperPage Forum... who said it's courtesy of Shasta.

http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1...rnberry1pp8.jpg

I think the garage and waterfall compliment the waterwall very nicely... and that they pushed it towards the back away from both Williams and the waterwall seems like a smart decision too..

15409turnberry1pp8.jpg

I think the garage and waterfall compliment the waterwall very nicely... and that they pushed it towards the back away from both Williams and the waterwall seems like a smart decision too..

15409turnberry1pp8.jpg

I completely agree with you. But the design of the tower itself is so uninspiring...

Personally I'd like to see them pop up in the middle of Afton Oaks. Make them wish they had rail.

I second that! > :)

This pic only appears to show the building at 33 floors. What's the deal? I want my 5 other floors!

True, they shaft us!

maybe it goes 5 floors below the ground too! :ph34r:

They did that I am sure so that you have a view of the Water Wall from the Condo without looking straight down.

I completely agree with you. But the design of the tower itself is so uninspiring...

Generic color and I think we have 4 or 5 (taller too) condos in uptown that already look like this.

[Phillip Johnson attempts to kick some sense into niche's head from the grave...but to no avail] :wacko:

The same building can mean different things to different people. To me, Williams Tower is about scale and dominance. It is a projection of ego and power. ...hence the over phallic nature. Otherwise, it borrowed from NYC architecture, and that would annoy me to no end if the scale didn't keep me constantly in awe.

Really? I think the Aquarius Tower planned in Atlanta is miles ahead of the banal design of Turnberry Galleria! The Atlanta tower would fit in perfectly with Transco, etc. I'm envious.

ABSOLUTELY!!! Atlanta is taking up now where Houston left off in the early eighties. There highrise designs for the most part, leave our uninspired earth tone boxes in the dust. Yes I'm glad that Uptown continues to grow, but this is a good waste of prime land imo.

Quite frankly, I'm pissed. :angry2:

That Atlanta tower looks like one of those cartoon buildings in New New York in Futurama. It looks almost "Dallas grade" over the top tacky. I wonder if the big light will blink or change colors or something so that the tower will STAND OUT more.

I agree that there is nothing really spectacular about the Turnberry, but I'm glad. Williams tower commands enough attention in that spot. Building some weird-looking competing tower too close could lessen the impact of Williams. The Turnberry as is might make a nice enough compliement in the area. It's another backdrop tower, but that just fine for that particular spot. It's size and proximity to Williams will give it enough of its own presence that it doesn't need any more bells or whistles than what they are already giving it.

Edited by Mister X

Nah, I'm just being petty. I'll always prefer the view I have now, but more than that, I prefer the unimpeded dynamism and as-yet-unknown potentials to be discovered many years and decades into Houston's future.

I understand what you mean... It would be hard for me to imagine (say) a 40-50 story skyscraper going up where Jones Plaza is now... completely blocking Pennzoil Place and taking away some sky from the BofA, leaving a competition.

i had hopes that turnberry would turn out something complementary to williams tower. too bad. i agree with all of the other descriptives; banal, bland, beige, blah, uninspired. it is tall. i like that part.

turnberry takes trivial turn with unoriginal high-rise in houston's uptown district. <_<

It would be hard for me to imagine (say) a 40-50 story skyscraper going up where Jones Plaza is now... completely blocking Pennzoil Place and taking away some sky from the BofA, leaving a competition.

You don't have to imagine: Johnson did it with his BoA building to block the view of his Pennzoil building. He was such a kidder.

This pic only appears to show the building at 33 floors. What's the deal? I want my 5 other floors!

As per the Director of Sales for the project, the building will actually be 36 stories...4 of which are parking. I'm not sure whether the penthouse units are duplex. If so, that's where you would get the 33 stories from.

There is a preliminary website at: www.turnberrytowerhouston.com

As per the Director of Sales for the project, the building will actually be 36 stories...4 of which are parking. I'm not sure whether the penthouse units are duplex. If so, that's where you would get the 33 stories from.

There is a preliminary website at: www.turnberrytowerhouston.com

The main website

http://www.swedroe.com

says 38

www.turnberrytowerhouston.com

so it magically lost another 2 stories in 2 weeks?!?!? bummer.

By the time this gets built, it may only be 10 stories tall! :P

That Atlanta tower looks like one of those cartoon buildings in New New York in Futurama. It looks almost "Dallas grade" over the top tacky. I wonder if the big light will blink or change colors or something so that the tower will STAND OUT more.

So are you saying that "cookie cutter" designs are welcome in a city that once was a trend setter? That's confusing to me. I've also never considered Dallas' architecture to be "over the top tacky". Not my favorite city, but it's not Dubai.

Edited by Gary

Where did you read that I said I like cookie cutter buildings? I love fresh architectural designs as much as the next guy, but get it right. Just because a design isn't run of the mill doesn't make it great. Furthermore, location and proximity is as much as part of the mix as style.

I just don't think it does a skyline any good to have too many buildings that scream out for attention in close proximity. Some buildings should be the star, others should be the support. Just like any other artistic medium, in a perfect world, some things should dominate and be the focus and some things should receed and lend support. Judging by the size and shape of it, that Aquarius building in Atlanta would be hideous right next to Williams. It's probably fine right where it is.

I don't want to cause a Houston/Dallas flame war so I won't go into whats wrong with the downtown Dallas skyline, but lets just say there is an awful lot of competition, clashing styles, and unnecessary ornimentation going on there. Some think that all that superficial flash makes it look interesting, I think that it just looks junky and forced.

Where did you read that I said I like cookie cutter buildings? I love fresh architectural designs as much as the next guy, but get it right. Just because a design isn't run of the mill doesn't make it great. Furthermore, location and proximity is as much as part of the mix as style.

I never mentioned you refered to the design as "cookie cutter", I did. I also understand symmetry, and location, and that it means allot when smart design is being applied. That being said, I dissagree that a more inspired design would add competition to something as massive, and and awe inspiring as the Williams tower.

Again, imo this is a cookie cutter design that adds nothing but density to Uptown.

I just don't think it does a skyline any good to have too many buildings that scream out for attention in close proximity. Some buildings should be the star, others should be the support. Just like any other artistic medium, in a perfect world, some things should dominate and be the focus and some things should receed and lend support. Judging by the size and shape of it, that Aquarius building in Atlanta would be hideous right next to Williams. It's probably fine right where it is.

Again, I understand symmetry, but to place artisic merit on this building as a good design for the area is a stretch.

I wish people would stop putting words in my mouth. I never said the Turnberry was a good design. It's not that bad. It's not that good. It will slip into the background and allow Williams to continue to dominate. At best, it will add density and it won't compete with Williams, which I'm happy about. Clear enough?

The Aquarius, for better or worse, will command it's own space, and building right next to another building that commands it's own space would be unfortunate. But it's not happening anyway so I suggest either making peace with the Turnberry, move to Atlanta so you can be near Aquarius, or just learn to enjoy life. The Turnberry could be a lot worse. It is not the best or most original design I've ever seen but at least it probably won't do any visual harm to the uptown skyline. That, in itself, is worth being happy about.

But if you would rather sit in the humidity and complain about nothing, knock yourself out. Trust me, no one's listening and it will get you nowhere.

If it will make you happy, you can always try to stop the Turnberry before they build it. I'm sure everyone would be happier with the dazzling structure that exist on the Turnberry site today.

Bye.