Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Here's an idea, close the lobby to the public during business hours, and open it a few extra hours on the weekdays and general hours on the weekend!

 

During winter, I went right before it closed and snapped some awesome twilight pictures. A night view is equally as cool as a daytime.

 

edit: charge a small fee. Nothing outrageous like the Shard. Should cover the costs of security and such. They keep big towers like this A/C'd on the weekends right?

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like it a lot in it's simplicity and it's history. So I'll repeat my thoughts anytime someone calls it ugly.   Apart from it's height, you could teleport/swap it to the Shinjuku District i

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

They keep big towers like this A/C'd on the weekends right?

 

No. But they can be.  Typically, if a tenant wants A/C on a weekend or holiday, it has to be scheduled and costs extra.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

You've got to be freaking kidding me.. The one "legitimate" observation deck this city still has left, and they decide to close it? Ugh.

I used to not really care for the idea of building an observation tower in Houston, but at this point I would welcome one.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Triton said:

Coworker at Williams Tower told me the observation deck there is still open to the public... didn't know that...

....There's an observation deck at Williams Tower?? Am I the only one on here who didn't know this?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, brijonmang said:

....There's an observation deck at Williams Tower?? Am I the only one on here who didn't know this?

I haven't been there either so cant confirm it's actually open to the public. I've only been to our offices there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There used to be an observation deck on the 51st floor that faced towards the west. It was later closed to the public, and I think the space has been leased out. The only observation deck I can think of around town isn't really even in the city: the San Jacinto Monument.

Edited by The Pragmatist
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On August 7, 2016 at 10:59 AM, MarkHouston said:

Was driving 45s bound from 610 north last night, and notice a strip of white lights and a bigger blue light on top of Chase tower. My eyes are bad, but I thought they finally put the Chase logo on the top.....they were just regular bulbs. Wishful thinking 

 

I saw it myself the other night on the drive in from 45. Not sure what is going on. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I am sad that I don't get to see these things you all talk about now that I've moved from the east side to near Cypress. The only view of downtown I get to see now is when I'm taking 249 to Beltway 8 east, and then I can barely make out an image similar to the opening of Gilligan's Island lol. Been here 6 years and having a massive downtown withdrawal. I will take that trip down there and make it an all day trip so I can visit each building, hug it and give it a big ol' slippery kiss. :P

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Quote

The closing of the branch in December will mark Chase's final departure from its namesake tower. Opened in 1982, the 75-story JPMorgan Chase Tower, formerly the Texas Commerce Tower, is both the tallest building in downtown Houston and the tallest building in Texas, according to the World Atlas. The company moved its offices from the building over a decade ago, Hassell said.

 

Seeing how we've had the prospect of renovations at other towers when major companies have left, I wonder if we'll see a renovation of the JP Morgan Chase Tower. 

 

I know Hines owns the building and they are building a brand new tower next door so they'll probably not want to compete with that. But it makes me wonder if Hines will consider in a few years if renovating their existing inventory would be cheaper than building a new tower.

 

 

(I personally wish the facade will change. Make it all glass but that's just a dream.)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Triton said:

 

Seeing how we've had the prospect of renovations at other towers when major companies have left, I wonder if we'll see a renovation of the JP Morgan Chase Tower. 

 

I know Hines owns the building and they are building a brand new tower next door so they'll probably not want to compete with that. But it makes me wonder if Hines will consider in a few years if renovating their existing inventory would be cheaper than building a new tower.

 

 

(I personally wish the facade will change. Make it all glass but that's just a dream.)

 

Their offices left there a decade ago, this is just a branch bank. Only a decline in occupancy or weak rent growth typically sparks a renovation. You still have the best views of anywhere from inside there, plus an ideal location, so I imagine they are doing well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

 

Their offices left there a decade ago, this is just a branch bank. Only a decline in occupancy or weak rent growth typically sparks a renovation. You still have the best views of anywhere from inside there, plus an ideal location, so I imagine they are doing well.

Then perhaps a name change?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2018 at 5:35 PM, HoustonIsHome said:

They need to stop with those numbered names. So many buildings downtown are now referred to by numbers and now I'm completely lost :(

 

you mean having a building referred to by its address confuses you?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2018 at 4:58 PM, swtsig said:

 

you mean having a building referred to by its address confuses you?

Yes. Yes it does.

I mean if I'm going there I can just look up the address. But in haif if someone says Chase, BOA, Wells Fargo, I know exactly what building they are taking about. Tell me 600 Travis and I have to break out the Google maps

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HoustonIsHome said:

Yes. Yes it does.

I mean if I'm going there I can just look up the address. But in haif if someone says Chase, BOA, Wells Fargo, I know exactly what building they are taking about. Tell me 600 Travis and I have to break out the Google maps

 

I agree. I feel the same and don’t get me started on downtown block numbers. Those are even more confusing to me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HoustonIsHome said:

Yes. Yes it does.

I mean if I'm going there I can just look up the address. But in haif if someone says Chase, BOA, Wells Fargo, I know exactly what building they are taking about. Tell me 600 Travis and I have to break out the Google maps

 

Wow, I actually see what you mean.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, HoustonIsHome said:

Yes. Yes it does.

I mean if I'm going there I can just look up the address. But in haif if someone says Chase, BOA, Wells Fargo, I know exactly what building they are taking about. Tell me 600 Travis and I have to break out the Google maps

 

Often times they don't even include the street name.  "Where are you going?"  "6141"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

It's not one of I.M. Pei's most eye-catching buildings, but it's nice.   (Earlier on, didn't he design the Brutalist Boston City Hall?)  Perhaps the people who don't like the Houston building would prefer one of his group's later buildings in Dallas, which I think is/was named Fountain Place -- more glass and a non-flat top.  I always rather fancied his building in Hong Kong that (I think) was named after the Bank of China, at least for a while.  I was told that it was designed with Chinese feng shui principles in mind ... i.e., glass facing both the mountainside and the ocean, such that (supposedly) a dragon could pass through it coming down to the ocean.    

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 7 months later...
Quote

Report: Chase Tower to be sold to Hines, Cerberus for $627 million

Hines is buying Houston's tallest office tower and an adjacent building in a partnership with Cerberus Capital for an estimated $627 million, according to a report from industry publication Real Estate Alert.

In a deal that will give Cerberus a 90 percent interest in the complex and Hines a 10 percent stake, the companies have agreed to buy the 75-story, 1.7 million-square-foot 600 Travis (formerly known as JPMorgan Chase Tower) and the adjacent 20-story, 407,000-square-foot Chase Center at 601 Travis, the report said, citing anonymous sources.

 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Report-Chase-Tower-to-be-sold-in-627-million-14028442.php

 

Here's to still hoping for that reclad of this building.

  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, swtsig said:

Not sure about recladding but I’ve been told the building will undergo major renovations. 

 

Very cool. Seems like the owners of these downtown buildings are worried tenants will leave for newer buildings forcing these to renovate.

 

why would they reclad? Seems fine to me.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Since big common spaces are all the rage these days, if there's anything that will be done outside it would likely be taking up part of the plaza for... IDK, "creative space" or even more food options?...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mollusk said:

Since big common spaces are all the rage these days, if there's anything that will be done outside it would likely be taking up part of the plaza for... IDK, "creative space" or even more food options?...

If that’s their plan, it should be complimentary to their strategy to create a pedestrian friendly sreetscape around Texas Tower, the Preston, and the Calpine building.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Chase Tower is set too far back from the street. They need to reimagine it with structure all the way to the curb, and fill it with GFR and chef driven restaurants. Or, tear it down and replace it with something more suited for walkability, instead of the strip mall type parking area along Capitol and Milam. Bwahahahaha.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2019 at 11:50 AM, Avossos said:

 

why would they reclad? Seems fine to me.

 

Just wish the facade had more glass, like they planned to do at 800 Bell:

 

Image result for 800 bell renovations

 

They should at least do something with the plaza. It's wide open and serves no purpose right now.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Triton said:

 

Just wish the facade had more glass, like they planned to do at 800 Bell:

 

Image result for 800 bell renovations

 

They should at least do something with the plaza. It's wide open and serves no purpose right now.

 

 

 

Man I hope they kick-off the renovation of 800 Bell within the next couple years.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Triton said:

They should at least do something with the plaza. It's wide open and serves no purpose right now.

 

 

 

My thoughts exactly. That plaza is very dated and plain. Its a space that isn't very inviting.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

We can hope and pray that whatever they do, they can find a way to bring back the observation deck for public use. Even if this would require charging admission, that space is important to the city and the original intent should be restored.

 

I imagine there will be streetscape improvements, ideally synergizing with Hines' other nearby assets, although the renovation at Calpine Center was touted as major and merely involved adding interior retail to the lobby.

 

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

I imagine that Hines will add similar amenities to this property, that Texas Tower will have and 609 does have and I bet that they use the front plaza for this purpose.  I don't see that recladding is necessary, nor practical.  But, some cleaning and repair does seem likely and needed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple updates. Hines was already the property manager, diminishing my hope of a policy change regarding the sky lobby. This property sold for $300/SF, a little more than twice what Marathon Tower recently sold for on a per SF basis, illustrating the health of the downtown office market. Marathon does have a major tenant going dark, which accounts for some of that difference.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2019 at 12:04 PM, H-Town Man said:

A couple updates. Hines was already the property manager, diminishing my hope of a policy change regarding the sky lobby. This property sold for $300/SF, a little more than twice what Marathon Tower recently sold for on a per SF basis, illustrating the health of the downtown office market. Marathon does have a major tenant going dark, which accounts for some of that difference.

 

 

We need that sky lobby back open.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2019 at 12:04 PM, H-Town Man said:

A couple updates. Hines was already the property manager, diminishing my hope of a policy change regarding the sky lobby. This property sold for $300/SF, a little more than twice what Marathon Tower recently sold for on a per SF basis, illustrating the health of the downtown office market. Marathon does have a major tenant going dark, which accounts for some of that difference.

 

 

Skanska/Capital/BofA Tower and 609 Main are both looking to be sold in the next year, pricing in the neighborhood of $600-700 psf in both buildings.  Buying 600 Travis at $300 psf (along with Cerebrus Capital who specializes in distressed assets) leads me to believe the building has major leasing issues and is in need of serious upgrades. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 8-9 figure capital injection to reposition the asset. 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, C List said:

Skanska/Capital/BofA Tower and 609 Main are both looking to be sold in the next year, pricing in the neighborhood of $600-700 psf in both buildings.  Buying 600 Travis at $300 psf (along with Cerebrus Capital who specializes in distressed assets) leads me to believe the building has major leasing issues and is in need of serious upgrades. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 8-9 figure capital injection to reposition the asset. 

 

 

They seen to have become a small tenant building with about 70 different tenants.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

They seen to have become a small tenant building with about 70 different tenants.

 

 

Yes, it's strange. My personal accountant is in the building. I was initially surprised because I thought the building would be full of major corporate tenants.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, downtownian said:

 

Yes, it's strange. My personal accountant is in the building. I was initially surprised because I thought the building would be full of major corporate tenants.

 

Are the floor plates just not attractive to large tenants?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...