I think Reliant should had been built somewhere else in Houston. Maybe those vast plains south of the former site of Astroworld. After watching the Arizona Cardinals stadium last Monday night, I wish we had something as big ans as grand. It could have spurred development there, and the rail could have been extended down that way.

Why would we want the stadium to be further out of the city? It doesn't make sense, it is nice that currently all three sports stadiums are inside the loop and all relatively accesible by the current rail. Not to mention, why would a stadium further out spur development while the current one sits on a spot that has existed since 1965 and not spurred development. The Arizona one, while I'm not familiar with, is allegedly out in the middle of nowhere. I think the "development" it has spurred is eateries and bars for people to go to when they are at the game. Otherwise, I don't know what else has developed there.

Just about every stadium being built these days are with a retractable roof on it. Just makes more sense and takes any weather element out the way. Reliant was a long way from setting any precedence itself. Cowboys will open a new stadium in August 2009. When built, the stadium will have 75,000 seats and a retractable roof. It will feature open end zones linked to fan decks that will increase seating capacity to 100,000, making it the highest capacity domed stadium in the world in this configuration.

As we all know, Reliant Stadium was the first (and largest) retractable roof NFL stadium. Now, where did you get the 100,000 number? I've never seen that one and the team isn't releasing the stadium drawings so I'm just curious what your source is.

Thanks.

As we all know, Reliant Stadium was the first (and largest) retractable roof NFL stadium. Now, where did you get the 100,000 number? I've never seen that one and the team isn't releasing the stadium drawings so I'm just curious what your source is.

Thanks.

http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/future/CowboysStadium.htm

cow850.jpg

cow851.jpg

cowboys701.jpg

cowboys700.jpg

Why would we want the stadium to be further out of the city? It doesn't make sense, it is nice that currently all three sports stadiums are inside the loop and all relatively accesible by the current rail. Not to mention, why would a stadium further out spur development while the current one sits on a spot that has existed since 1965 and not spurred development. The Arizona one, while I'm not familiar with, is allegedly out in the middle of nowhere. I think the "development" it has spurred is eateries and bars for people to go to when they are at the game. Otherwise, I don't know what else has developed there.

Oh please. What difference would two miles make :rolleyes: . Rail would probably have been extended down Fannin to reach the stadium, too.

After watching the Arizona Cardinals stadium last Monday night, I wish we had something as big ans as grand. It could have spurred development there, and the rail could have been extended down that way.

Discovery Channel HD had a special on Extreme Engineering that showed the build of that stadium. That place is a real piece of work. The retractable field is a phenomenal feat.

Edited by Mark F. Barnes

That's interesting, it sure looks nice. I can't imagine the final version would look like that though. Why would you build so high on the sidelines and leave the endzones open? I still don't understand where the extra 25,000 people would sit either. I guess we'll see once the team releases the final plans.

That's interesting, it sure looks nice. I can't imagine the final version would look like that though. Why would you build so high on the sidelines and leave the endzones open? I still don't understand where the extra 25,000 people would sit either. I guess we'll see once the team releases the final plans.

This is just a guess, but I imagine that Jerry Jones does not want a permanent seating capacity of more than 75,000 so as not to incur TV blackouts for the non-marquee games. For the big games, he can sell thousands of "SRO" tickets, pumping up revenue for those games.

Perhaps from the Skydome, Toronto -- The home of the Blue Jays of Major League Baseball (MLB) was opened in 1989 and began the era of retractable roof stadiums. While other stadiums had previously been built with removable tops, a la Montreal's Olympic Stadium, the Skydome was the first to have a fully retractable roof. The roof consists of four steel panels and it moves along rails at a rate of 71 feet (21 meters) per minute and takes 20 minutes to open or close. When closing the roof, 72 motors are used to move the two panels backward and forward over a fixed panel like a telescope and a fourth panel rotates 180 degrees to completely close the roof.

or Bank One Ballpark, Phoenix -- Home to the Diamondbacks of Major League Baseball, Bank One Ballpark, or "the BOB," opened in 1998. In the searing heat of the Arizona desert, it was almost a necessity to have a ballpark that could be open during moderate days and closed and air-conditioned on hot summer days. Bank One's roof uses a system similar to a drawbridge. A pair of 200 horsepower motors drive the roof panels to open and close in just four minutes using four miles of cable strung through a pulley system.

or Safeco Field, Seattle -- Opened in 1999, baseball's Mariners said good-bye to the Kingdome and moved to Safeco. Safeco's roof is divided into three independent panels made of a thin gypsum and glass fiber board. A waterproof skin covers the panels. The three panels are staggered so that the roof can slide completely away from the field of play. The panels roll on motorized steel wheels that move over steel rails. The wheels are powered by 96 10-horsepower, DC motors. Power is provided by long cables that are reeled in and out as the roof slides open and shut. Opening and closing the roof is done at a rate of 30 feet (9.1 m) per minute and takes about 10 to 20 minutes.

Just about every stadium being built these days are with a retractable roof on it. Just makes more sense and takes any weather element out the way. Reliant was a long way from setting any precedence itself. Cowboys will open a new stadium in August 2009. When built, the stadium will have 75,000 seats and a retractable roof. It will feature open end zones linked to fan decks that will increase seating capacity to 100,000, making it the highest capacity domed stadium in the world in this configuration.

those are all baseball stadiums right? wasn't reliant the first nfl stadium to have a retractable roof?

What I'm saying is, this is the franchise 5th year and shown the fans nothing, nothing whatso ever. Look at this year, 5th season. They're going back to their roots like an expansion team all over again. People in Houston wants a winning team. They're tired of spending their hard working money to see a losing team every week. That's just throwing away money.

Semipro, it's been told to you 48 times that the Texans are starting over this year, you know like an expansion team. You continually bringing up this 5th year stuff is getting old.

I really do think next year is going to be a little bit better, but still don't see a playoff spot for this team.

This is an interesting yet contradictory statement. I could have sworn you we're telling us that the Texans had a chance to make it to the playoffs at the beginning of the year. hmmmmm <_< I'll have tolook it up and get back to you.

By the way, I still haven't recieved a reply from you regarding your Bush comment.

I'm looking at the franchise point of view, and in 5 years they haven't done nothing for the fans. So far, the only two good things happen to this franshise is; Houston beat out L.A. for the 32nd NFL expansion team, and beat Cowboys on their debut.

Oh, wow! They starting all over AGAIN. I'm sick and tired of it, and other people that spends their money tired of it too. Every damn season is a losing season. They need to change their names to Houston Losers, with the state of Texas on the helmets and a L smack dead in the middle.

Furthermore, I don't need to answer you about Bush. I know this much, Bush will help the Texans now in the running, passing and special teams. They need anybody to help this poor performing team out.

Edited by houstonsemipro

I'm looking at the franchise point of view, and in 5 years they haven't done nothing for the fans. So far, the only two good things happen to this franshise is; Houston beat out L.A. for the 32nd NFL expansion team, and beat Cowboys on their debut.

Oh, wow! They starting all over AGAIN. I'm sick and tired of it, and other people that spends their money tired of it too. Every damn season is a losing season. They need to change their names to Houston Losers, with the state of Texas on the helmets and a L smack dead in the middle.

Furthermore, I don't need to answer you about Bush. I know this much, Bush will help the Texans now in the running, passing and special teams. They need anybody to help this poor performing team out.

Well, the Dom Capers Era certainly didn't work. When they upped to 7-9 in 2004, things seemed like they were going to get better. Then somewhere the bottom fell out.

Enter the Gary Kubes Era. I believe he will eventually get the people he wants to suit his system which works so well in Denver.

This is still a very young franchise that merely ended Phase I and is now entering Phase II. Sometimes Phase I doesn't work out, as it was the case here. What are you gonna do? At least the Texans did pick a proven winner in Kubes who will need some time with this advent of Phase II.

No one can deny the noticeable improvement in the offense...and this is considering Dom Davis isn't even available this year. Sure, the running game sucks. But aren't there teams out there whose running games would suck if their projected or star running back had to sit out the year? One great positive is the growing chemistry between Carr and AJ.

The defense is a big project, to be sure. But perhaps, defense can feed on the offense. And once Dom Davis is up and healthy, that should be a good windfall for the Texans' O next year.

Quit moaning and groaning, there's nothing the Texans can do except move forward and sweep out the ashes. And the forward does look better.

Since you cannot be reasoned with, I'll leave you alone. I will leave you with a little advice though.... Learn to admit you're wrong.

For all the panicking and whining about the supposedly pathetic Texans and that Kubiak is a failure just like Dom Capers that we read about in various forums:

The Texans already matched last year's two win total...and are only one game behind the Jags, a projected contender, for a possible wild card!

Sure, the Jags are a franchise that the Texans seem to play well against...they are nonetheless a quality opponent that almost beat the Colts in Indy and did beat the Cowboys.

Yes, they won. But, I wouldn't say playoffs. Not by a long shot, buddy.

I don't think anyone realistically thinks the Texans are a playoff team this season. Even if they could put together an amazing run and win 6-7 games, they'd be fodder for the class of the NFL. However, in light of today's performance, it is safe to say that things aren't nearly as dire as you thought, huh?

The team is rebuilding -- or more accurately stated, BUILDING. It doesn't happen overnight.

One other thing -- I know for a fact The Texans organization is putting their highest priority on the fan experience. They are realistic and know that they don't have a legitimate contender, but rather the base for a future contender. Kubiak is a big part of this. Now, of course winning is a part of the fan experience, but even in a losing season, as they are probably going to have, the fan experience and entertainment value of Texans' football is still great. Personally, I enjoy baseball over anything else, for the pure value of watching the game. I consider the NBA unwatchable. Football, however is great entertainment. From tailgating to the fan camraderie in the game, to the great facility we have, fans attending the game GET THEIR MONEY'S WORTH. Imagine how it will be when they start winning.

Edited by dalparadise

Thanks for proving my point there Mr. Fairweather ! Now go back to cheering for Dallas.

0-4 bye week. Texans will be contenders for 1st round draft next year. They will lose against the Cowboys, and Jacksonville. The only game that I know that they might have a chance on beating is the Titans, and their no push over either. The Texans be lucky if they win 5 games this year.

Futhermore, if they keep losing. The fans will sell their tickets, and no one will be at the games again (like last year).

Remember, I'm always right about the Texans. Everything I said toward the Texans came true. Because I know, and y'all know the Texans don't have a chance on a cold day in hell on beating Manning and the Colts.

Have y'all heard of Pick-a-part Auto? That's what Manning going to do with the defense, pick'em apart. This should be good practice for Manning.

Hey, semipro, remember this prediction? You claimed to never be wrong, and that the Texans would be 0-6 today.

What happened? I thought you were always right? :lol:

Why don't you just say it like it is. They played the best game they've ever played since day one. They executed their game plan, established a running game, (I was really impressed with that), and they kept Carr off his back. They forced two fumbles and converted them both to touchdowns. It's not the road to the Superbowl yet, but if they play like that every Sunday they can beat anyone. A+ on this report card. I was very skeptical and still waiting to see if this is a trend or a blip, time will tell. Semi-semi-semipro just man up and say you were wrong. It only smarts for a minute. Believe me I have been eating crow pie all day. It's not too bad with hot sauce.

What I liked about yesterday's win, was the fact that Carr looked like a leader. He obviously took charge of the offense, and had very good command of his timing.

That I forgot to mention. Perhaps Kube will give him more lee way with audibles once they get more comfortable. Speaking of audibles, did you watch Peyton take the Redskins apart in the second have, talk about a field general, jeez that was scary bad-ass. Carr really looked that way yesterday, definitely a lot more confident.

Why don't you just say it like it is. They played the best game they've ever played since day one. They executed their game plan, established a running game, (I was really impressed with that), and they kept Carr off his back. They forced two fumbles and converted them both to touchdowns. It's not the road to the Superbowl yet, but if they play like that every Sunday they can beat anyone. A+ on this report card. I was very skeptical and still waiting to see if this is a trend or a blip, time will tell. Semi-semi-semipro just man up and say you were wrong. It only smarts for a minute. Believe me I have been eating crow pie all day. It's not too bad with hot sauce.

Pretty much my thoughts. They had a few offensive spurts over the years (very few), and a couple of decent defensive games, but this is the first game I can recall where the defense set up the offense and the offense delivered. And, they did it against a good team.

Probably the Texans best overall performance in 5 years. I'm not putting them in the playoffs or anything, but the Texans made fools of the Jags and semipro yesterday. :lol:

You know the Texans played well when semipro is reduced to the following quote:

Yeah, but...
Edited by RedScare

Speaking of audibles, did you watch Peyton take the Redskins apart in the second have, talk about a field general, jeez that was scary bad-ass. Carr really looked that way yesterday, definitely a lot more confident.

Growing up in the late 60's and 70's, I was a quarterback freak. I loved Namath, Tarkenton, Jurgenson, Bradshaw, Staubach etc, and I never saw one of them command a field like that guy does. If he only had a little more defense, he'd rule the league for a long time.

Growing up in the late 60's and 70's, I was a quarterback freak. I loved Namath, Tarkenton, Jurgenson, Bradshaw, Staubach etc, and I never saw one of them command a field like that guy does. If he only had a little more defense, he'd rule the league for a long time.

And you left out Johnny U, shame on you. The last real General they had to wear the horse shoe helmet! Peyton was awesome. He always hates being compared to his Dad but I got news for anyone who does, Archie was a good player and all, but he can't carry his boy's jockstrap, period.

And that little LSU RB they picked up is a heck of a runner.

I was driving back from a business trip in Dallas, so I missed the game. Maybe I should miss more :)

But yeah, I saw the highlights, and the Texans looked solid throughout, which is the first time I can remember since their first win against Dallas. They have something to work with, but this can't be their best game this season. I hope they keep building from this past weekend.

I still stick to my prediction of 8-8, so long as they don't regress their style of play next week.

And you left out Johnny U, shame on you. The last real General they had to wear the horse shoe helmet! Peyton was awesome. He always hates being compared to his Dad but I got news for anyone who does, Archie was a good player and all, but he can't carry his boy's jockstrap, period.

And that little LSU RB they picked up is a heck of a runner.

I disagree, Archie was a hell of a QB, but like Carr, he had no team to back him up, and he still made numbers. Don't forget, HE taught those boys how to be QBs and it is also about good genes.

Johnny U, Hell YEAH! how do you forget him ? Bart Starr for Green Bay ?