Lockwood South: Buffalo Bayou Multifamily At 733 N. Drennan St.

CREguy13

• 1 year later...
19 hours ago, 77011transplant said:

I, for one, am hyped for this project. Especially if it means they'll clean up the overpass on Lockwood and clear the sidewalks that connect to the trail. 

I’m also looking forward to this stretch of trail being reworked and transformed. It also seems to have a good mix of housing, which should be the goal for most new developments.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2021 at 3:06 AM, Urbannizer said:

Highlights:

Nonprofit Buffalo Bayou Partnership and Brinshore Development are planning the first phase of what is to be a 350-unit residential community in the city's East End off of Lockwood Drive near Tony Marron Park.

The project, called Lockwood South, would include a mix of multifamily and single-family homes with market-rate and some affordably priced units as well as senior housing. Groundbreaking on the 80-unit first phase is slated for the third quarter, with completion at the end of 2022.

Since revealing its master plan in late 2019, the nonprofit group has been busy planning several projects and raising funds for development, including designing improvements for Japhet Creek, Turkey Bend and Tony Marron Park and starting work on the residential portion of Lockwood South.

Buffalo Bayou Partnership and Brinshore Development received a green light from the city of Houston’s planning commission April 15 on a variance request needed to move forward with the first phase of Lockwood South, which includes building 80 residential units. About 10% to 15% of those units could be market-rate apartments, Rosenberg said, but it depends on funding rules.

Surrounding the residential project, Buffalo Bayou Partnership is adding 9 acres of green space and expanding Tony Marron Park to 43 acres — putting the park just 600 feet away from Lockwood South residences, Rosenberg said. Those expanded parks are expected to be open with phase one of the residential units in December 2022. The second phase of the project, with additional residences and senior living, could open six to 12 months later, he added, so sometime in 2023 or thereafter.

Buffalo Bayou Partnership has also earmarked a section of the project for a small mixed-use commercial site such as a clinic or co-op grocery store, Rosenberg said. The partnership is constructing a new street to connect Lockwood Drive to Drenner Street.

Elsewhere in the East End, the Houston City Council on April 13 approved a 400-unit affordable housing project at 800 Middle St. near the bayou, the Houston Chronicle reported. The project, a partnership between the city and NRP Group, would replace Clayton Homes, a housing complex the Texas Department of Transportation plans to demolish to make way for its expansion of Interstate 45. Eventually the city, in partnership with NRP Group, envisions having market-rate apartments on-site for a total of 900 units, according to media reports.

• Like 6

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Lockwood South: Buffalo Bayou Multifamily At 733 N. Drennan St.
  • 2 months later...

The only public road leading in to the property is on N. Drennan St. unless the city creates a road from Lockwood Dr. through the wooded area east or the old abandoned rail road south of the property. Only other option is to use eminent domain on the corner property on North Eastwood St.

This is the entrance at N. Drennan St. as it is now.

g92oIiy.jpg

unXTyGQ.jpg

• Like 1

I'm really excited about all of the activity in the East End, however what really concerns me is what is the industrial history of this land. For instance some of the properties adjacent to the Lockwood site look a little unsafe. The one I'm most concerned about is just southwest of the Lockwood site on Crites road. It looks like some sort of industrial refinery or storage area. It appears to be just north of GCP whatever that stands for. And what kind of operation is the Dan Luc Group just to the west of this site. I see that the Buffalo Bayou conservancy is using the adjacent building for its offices. I hope everything has been tested for hazardous waste and that all my fears have been put to rest. I really don't know what the history of the Lockwood property is or if there was something built on that property at one time. I just don't want to have residents find out after living on that property for years that its a hazardous waste site. I would just hate to see another Love Canal disaster. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer. I just want to be sure that everyone will be safe.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hindesky said:

The only public road leading in to the property is on N. Drennan St. unless the city creates a road from Lockwood Dr. through the wooded area east or the old abandoned rail road south of the property. Only other option is to use eminent domain on the corner property on North Eastwood St.

This is the entrance at N. Drennan St. as it is now.

Their GP received a variance to not extend Drennan. They proposed building a street that runs along the southern edge of the property. Some form of interior road would connect to get to that one to extend to Lockwood.

Other proposed site amenities include 60 units of senior housing, another apartment building between this one and the bayou, 63 rowhouses, 26 single family homes, commercial, and some amenities/parking.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, wilcal said:

Other proposed site amenities include 60 units of senior housing, another apartment building between this one and the bayou, 63 rowhouses, 26 single family homes, commercial, and some amenities/parking.

Those aren't "site amenities" - that is a neighborhood. Awesome.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...