Westheimer Drag Racing

We've decided to move out of the ROD area to an area like it used to be.   Too many teens, drag racing, apartments, and attached undesirables have taken over ROD.   The low self-esteem is sad to see and we're not into victims nor negative energy.  I wouldn't be surprised if the whole project declared bankruptcy not to mention most of the tenants closing if COVID goes into 2022.   Wishing the old hood well, though, even as we're excited to be moving to what we experience as a much better neighborhood like ROD started as.

1 hour ago, imagoman said:

We've decided to move out of the ROD area to an area like it used to be.   Too many teens, drag racing, apartments, and attached undesirables have taken over ROD.   The low self-esteem is sad to see and we're not into victims nor negative energy.  I wouldn't be surprised if the whole project declared bankruptcy not to mention most of the tenants closing if COVID goes into 2022.   Wishing the old hood well, though, even as we're excited to be moving to what we experience as a much better neighborhood like ROD started as.

You sound really dramatic in this post 👀

16 hours ago, imagoman said:

Would love for you to expand on the “undesirables” and the “low self-esteem” comments. 

On 8/9/2020 at 12:30 PM, nate4l1f3 said:

Would love for you to expand on the “undesirables” and the “low self-esteem” comments. 

The arm-chair psychiatrist in me would imagine the "low self-esteem" description is aimed at those people who feel the need to buy expensive, luxury goods to demonstrate their self-worth to others.

The "undesirables" are clearly those people who have the same low self-esteem as those above, but lack the money to buy Cartier. Hence, they have no value in this world.

/s in case that wasn't obvious...

On 8/8/2020 at 8:04 PM, imagoman said:

"We're not into victims nor negative energy," yet your whole post is negative lol. You're complaining about too many teens and apartments.....in the middle of 4th largest city in America, not to mention most of those apartments go for around $700,000 and up. I looked up "drag shows" and the closest one is 5 miles away..... so I'm confused? Also, the reason 3-5 stores left is because they simply didn't work in HOUSTON, not specifically ROD. East Hampton closed BOTH locations in Houston, it was mediocre (look at hopdoddy for comparison). Most of the stores that are there have been there since grand opening, so I'm not sure what made you think it would declare bankruptcy; especially with all the advancing projects adjacent to ROD. Also, are you saying people who buy luxury brands have "low self-esteem?" lol you'd have a heart attack if you saw the "low self-esteem" in cities like New York, Miami, LA, even Dallas. Houston is known to be "lax" in terms of how we dress. Maybe try not to judge people for caring how they look? Your post makes you seem very bitter; you belittled people who go there, brought in "drag" when it has nothing to do with the area, talked about how the area could go into bankruptcy, then talked about how excited you are to move to this magical area. My favorite part is "we're not into victims nor negative energy" HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

31 minutes ago, Amlaham said:

"We're not into victims nor negative energy," yet your whole post is negative lol. You're complaining about too many teens and apartments.....in the middle of 4th largest city in America, not to mention most of those apartments go for around $700,000 and up. I looked up "drag shows" and the closest one is 5 miles away..... so I'm confused? Also, the reason 3-5 stores left is because they simply didn't work in HOUSTON, not specifically ROD. East Hampton closed BOTH locations in Houston, it was mediocre (look at hopdoddy for comparison). Most of the stores that are there have been there since grand opening, so I'm not sure what made you think it would declare bankruptcy; especially with all the advancing projects adjacent to ROD. Also, are you saying people who buy luxury brands have "low self-esteem?" lol you'd have a heart attack if you saw the "low self-esteem" in cities like New York, Miami, LA, even Dallas. Houston is known to be "lax" in terms of how we dress. Maybe try not to judge people for caring how they look? Your post makes you seem very bitter; you belittled people who go there, brought in "drag" when it has nothing to do with the area, talked about how the area could go into bankruptcy, then talked about how excited you are to move to this magical area. My favorite part is "we're not into victims nor negative energy" HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

"drag racing"

1 hour ago, thatguysly said:

I am curious where they are moving to that is ROD-like. Not sure where a bubble of wealth exists where you don't have to see people wearing GAP and Brooks Brothers. God forbid.. 

I read some of their previous post. They are moving to The Parklane recently converted condo tower. . . 

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

Starting at 1:25 into the video. 

LOL!  This looks like a few groups of (mostly) out of control, privileged (yes, I said that) spoiled little millennial douche-bags with not enough to keep them occupied after dark.  Oops that came out in written form here, darn it!  Oh well...

1 hour ago, ArtNsf said:

LOL!  This looks like a few groups of (mostly) out of control, privileged (yes, I said that) spoiled little millennial douche-bags with not enough to keep them occupied after dark.  Oops that came out in written form here, darn it!  Oh well...

"Privileged" and "millennial" they are not.

A lot of this idiocy originated in my neighborhood (Second Ward). They used to do it up and down Canal, Commerce, and Navigation until the streets got torn up with construction (they still do, just not with as much regularity as before). There were/are other groups, but a lot of it was here.

Anyway, point is, they are all teenages. 15-22, is my guess, so millennials they are not. And I've seen the homes where they come from, privileged they are not either.

Douchebags, they are. Douchebaggery knows no age/socioeconomic status. So let's just leave the labels to facts.

19 hours ago, JBTX said:

"Privileged" and "millennial" they are not.

A lot of this idiocy originated in my neighborhood (Second Ward). They used to do it up and down Canal, Commerce, and Navigation until the streets got torn up with construction (they still do, just not with as much regularity as before). There were/are other groups, but a lot of it was here.

Anyway, point is, they are all teenages. 15-22, is my guess, so millennials they are not. And I've seen the homes where they come from, privileged they are not either.

Douchebags, they are. Douchebaggery knows no age/socioeconomic status. So let's just leave the labels to facts.

I stand somewhat corrected for the privileged and now the newer somewhat confusing definition of which age groups are or are not Millennials and for these actual small FACTS, I apologize.

However, these were pretty minor errors in "labeling" compared to the very dangerous out of control "tradition" these kids (yes that's what they are to me as they are all in their teens and 20's from what I have been able to find out so far) were engaging in as an obviously large group with that mob rule mentality.  We've all seen the rise of this thumbing of noses to common courtesy and decency for several recent years now and no one can deny that very noticeable change in many of our peoples of all age groups behavior in at least this counrty.  Furthermore, it was nearly impossible to tell much about the perpetrators using the news media's footage off of probably someone's social media photos online, except that they were young, many very young.  i.e., "brats", the same term that described me in their age group, and yes that behavior was wrong then, and is still wrong now.

So, yeah, after thinking about this for a while, I believe that the real problem is not with my comments, but with your deciding to publicly get your feathers all ruffled about semantics with "labels" in an age where half the people are for labels and half the people are against, yet there is almost no one in the middle speaking just innocuous inoffensive common sense.  You can't just pick and choose which labels are good and which ones are bad, without fully explaining yourself in front of your own peers.  Choosing to cherry pick small details out of my comments in order to negate the legitimate part of my concerns and honest opinions is extremely petty at best.  So, I'll stand by the gist of my statements.  And, you pick your battles to fight at the appropriate time and place including online forums.

I, myself, have been known by many labels, most of them good and honest, but even with the bad ones, I was never truly offended because I know who I am and what I represent and I'm not defined by petty people's opinions of me.  I pay attention to the truth and to my well known heroes that are good and honest, and then, about 99% of the time, I know where my heart stands on applicable labels and such.  Plus, in this day and age, I have NO PROBLEM offending what I perceive as privileged BRATS - and that's exactly what they are, let's not fool ourselves here (privileged is NOT always synonymous with having money and power.)  We have brats that exist in this country at every age level from 0 to infinity.My description had everything (obviously) to do with what I believe to be a lack of good upbringing or raising or parenting or whatever you prefer to call it in terms of manners and consideration of others, not to exclude that small number of participants that are just plain bad characters.  (Didn't think I would need to explain that to what I thought were much more intelligent worldly readers and commenters, but obviously I did for some members of this forum.)  The labels I used were very carefully chosen as I saw and perceived the participants much as I could.  Carefully chosen because I personally know the undeserved damage that some labels can cause to certain groups or individuals if applied maliciously IN THE WRONG WAY.  So, please don't try to lecture me on your little pet peeve of the day.  That is a battle for another forum and another day.  My descriptions may have been taken as incorrect labels by you and maybe even some others here, but the description of these participants' dangerous stupidity in general terms totally applies.  So, stop picking out meaningless details in my comments (and probably many others on this forum) just to try to embarrass me in order to be able to pat yourself on the back in front of all to see.  As a good parent might say "it's very unbecoming".

incoming verbal attacks beginning in three, two, one...........

29 minutes ago, ArtNsf said:

I, myself, have been known by many labels, most of them good and honest, but even with the bad ones, I was never truly offended because I know who I am and what I represent and I'm not defined by petty people's opinions of me.  I pay attention to the truth and to my well known heroes that are good and honest, and then, about 99% of the time, I know where my heart stands on applicable labels and such.  Plus, in this day and age, I have NO PROBLEM offending what I perceive as privileged BRATS - and that's exactly what they are, let's not fool ourselves here (privileged is NOT always synonymous with having money and power.) 

I agree that they are privileged; they are doing these things with the expectation that they can get away with it, which is absolutely a sense of being privileged.  However, I think what @JBTXwas getting at is that it's totally unfair to just start throwing the word "millennial" around at anyone you don't like who is younger than you are.  After all, most millennials are in their 30s, and many have families and mortgages and 401ks to worry about and are not the ones causing problems.  I am a millennial myself (albeit on the older end of the spectrum, as I'm almost 40) and just find it disturbing when members of older generations group everyone under the age of 45 or so as a "millennial", typically in a derogatory sense to give them as an example of what's wrong with the world.  After all, kids born in the last 5-10 years or so are not only not millennials but they aren't  even Generation Z either -- they are the children of millennials and the oldest members of Gen Z.

3 hours ago, rechlin said:

However, I think what @JBTXwas getting at is that it's totally unfair to just start throwing the word "millennial" around at anyone you don't like who is younger than you are.  After all, most millennials are in their 30s, and many have families and mortgages and 401ks to worry about and are not the ones causing problems.

That's exactly what I'm getting at, yes. Thanks for understanding. @ArtNsf my point was simply that "millennial" has a definition. It's not a loose term to throw out at just "youths". For reference:

Millennials, also known as Generation Y (or simply Gen Y), are the demographic cohort following Generation X and preceding Generation Z. Researchers and popular media use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years, with 1981 to 1996 a widely accepted defining range for the generation. Most millennials are the children of baby boomers and early Gen Xers; millennials are often the parents of Generation Alpha.

@rechlin, I had to look up what is past Gen Z too. Today I learned the name...

I'm a millennial. I'm 30 years old, own a home, have a family, graduate degree, 401k, etc. I have nothing in common with a 15-22 year old kid.

Generational labels, while they are silly as there will ALWAYS be people who don't fit the "generational mold" so to say, exist for a reason: lumping people of similar age, and thus "life experience" together. It would be ridiculous to put someone who fought in WW2 in the same generation as someone who was drafted into Vietnam.

That's really all I was trying to say. It's not that I was offended by your comments, it's just that the statement that was made was inaccurate.

21 hours ago, rechlin said:

I agree that they are privileged; they are doing these things with the expectation that they can get away with it, which is absolutely a sense of being privileged.  However, I think what @JBTXwas getting at is that it's totally unfair to just start throwing the word "millennial" around at anyone you don't like who is younger than you are.  After all, most millennials are in their 30s, and many have families and mortgages and 401ks to worry about and are not the ones causing problems.  I am a millennial myself (albeit on the older end of the spectrum, as I'm almost 40) and just find it disturbing when members of older generations group everyone under the age of 45 or so as a "millennial", typically in a derogatory sense to give them as an example of what's wrong with the world.  After all, kids born in the last 5-10 years or so are not only not millennials but they aren't  even Generation Z either -- they are the children of millennials and the oldest members of Gen Z.

OMG and hence the "problem" with Millennials !  You just confirmed it all.  TOO Sensitive to silly petty things that really don't matter in the moment, and of course you all that were labeled that way when you were that age were way more privileged behaving than the generation before, but not AS PRIVILEGED acting as this latest generation.  So, now that you all have your little panties in twist, it's time to pull them up, get over it and deal with it IN ANOTHER FORUM, indeed on ANOTHER SITE.  It's so obvious that you and whomever is so butt hurt over a mistake in what you want so bad to be "labeling" is causing so much "pain and anguish" for you.  So sorry, oh my bad.  You and JBTX are trying to argue over such a small detail and definition error.  I have apologized for it already.  So, now time to get over it and move on.  You've increased this thread needlessly over something that was not only an honest mistake without any just cause, but then used it long before my responses, as your own personal soapboxes.  Give us ALL a break and start discussing this topic once again rationally, without judging other posters for small petty mistakes, which were corrected and were OBVIOUS at the time.

1 hour ago, Montrose1100 said:

All off-topic comments have been split into a new thread here. For those wishing to continue the discussion about drag racing, and rambunctious youths, can do so there.

Let's try to keep it on topic HAIFers. 😎

Yeah, this is what I was repeatedly trying to gently allude to btw in my comments AFTER the others got their bloomers bundled.  Preaching to the choir here.

Archived