Vertigo58

Is it possible they add extra width on both sides with decorative brick etc, but I just wonder why they went around the utility pole like is it that hard to move the pole or integrate it into the sidewalk? Looks like the guy putting down the cement was just like not my job...

So I talked with a city worker about the 3 foot sidewalk along W Dallas. He said this development falls under "rehab and restoration." So whatever the original sidewalk was, the workers must return it back to that 3 foot width. This isn't considered new construction which is ridiculous. He did say the utilities would be buried and he also gave me some very insightful info. If you're a business/property owner, and your sidewalk is messed up because of tree roots and you want to fix it as the owner, the city won't let you. He said the city will say the greater of the two is the tree's life and so as the property owner, you must be insured in case anyone gets hurt from your crappy sidewalks. My mind is officially blown. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Response said:

Return it back to 3ft width?

Does this have something to do with punishing pedestrians?

I'm so glad no one ever politicized air conditioning or none of us would even be here. 

He did say Houston adopted a "pass lane" for sidewalks like over 40 years ago. To which I responded "What?" He said he will monitor it as the development progresses to see what can be done. 

11 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

So I talked with a city worker about the 3 foot sidewalk along W Dallas. He said this development falls under "rehab and restoration." So whatever the original sidewalk was, the workers must return it back to that 3 foot width. This isn't considered new construction which is ridiculous. He did say the utilities would be buried 

There is indeed a "rehab and restoration" exception to the sidewalk requirements, but it only applies in certain circumstances  to "work performed by other governmental entities, political subdivisions, transit authorities, or local government corporations." Perhaps the City or some other governmental entity may have repaired and replaced these portions of the sidewalk in conjunction with the street repairs.  That apparently would be allowed by the City ordinance.

But the development (Hanover) would have been required to submit sidewalk plans before getting building permits, and I'm pretty sure this "plan" would not be allowed.  

I am still of the opinion that these will not be the final sidewalks, especially if the utilities are going to be buried.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Houston19514 said:

There is indeed a "rehab and restoration" exception to the sidewalk requirements, but it only applies in certain circumstances  to "work performed by other governmental entities, political subdivisions, transit authorities, or local government corporations." Perhaps the City or some other governmental entity may have repaired and replaced these portions of the sidewalk in conjunction with the street repairs.  That apparently would be allowed by the City ordinance.

But the development (Hanover) would have been required to submit sidewalk plans before getting building permits, and I'm pretty sure this "plan" would not be allowed.  

I am still of the opinion that these will not be the final sidewalks, especially if the utilities are going to be buried.

I think you nailed it right on the head. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, hindesky said:

More piss poor planning. These guys are tearing up a brand new road for whatever the hell they are digging for. This is why we have such shitty roads. This is on the Hanover Autry Park side on W. Dallas.

XY838q3.jpg

Man the lack of planning is horrible. We just kinda let shit happen lol

• Like 2