Jump to content
HAIF - Houston's original social media

La Colombe d'Or Hotel Expanding with new Residential High-Rise


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so happy they are keeping the original building...i don't see where i posted this before but i have great memories of hanging out with THE Linda Ronstadt there back in the day! :)

I cannot wait to see this when finished...I will definitely be paying a visit for a tour etc

 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CaptainJilliams said:

Just skimming over the past 3 photos, it seems like little to no progress has been made.

 

Is it just me or has this slowed down considerably? Maybe they are doing internal work?

That is what I'm thinking, the bones are done and now the guts are being done. And the skin will be next.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, bobruss said:

Montrose is really shaping into what I thought it would become. Now they just need to rework Montrose Blvd. with new sidewalks and lighting and landscaping. Re engineer the lanes and perhaps bring back the median for landscaping or even a trolley that would run from the park to Washington Ave.

I've always thought that Montrose should become our Champ Elysees. Lined with high rise and mid rise residential towers, and make Montrose Blvd. the Museum blvd. with sculpture more water features and a large round about at Westheimer. The arts would be featured the entire route from Hermann Park to Buffalo Bayou.

I think Post Oak is aspiring for the title of our "Champ Elysees", but you're right about Montrose shaping up to be something special.  I just wish something bold and exciting could be done at the intersection of Westheimer and Montrose.  Is that corner cursed to always have mattress stores and an urgent care clinic?  So much potential, but unlikely to be realized in my lifetime.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mls1202 said:

I think Post Oak is aspiring for the title of our "Champ Elysees", but you're right about Montrose shaping up to be something special.  I just wish something bold and exciting could be done at the intersection of Westheimer and Montrose.  Is that corner cursed to always have mattress stores and an urgent care clinic?  So much potential, but unlikely to be realized in my lifetime.

PMRG supposedly owns this block and waiting out the leases before something happens.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hate to sound like a curmudgeon ( though I am sometimes), but I don't see a "Champs Elysees"  anywhere in Houston ever developing. South Post Oak can become like an Avenue Montaigne and Montrose Blvd. a Paseo del Prado in Madrid , but the Champs Elysees is a non duplicating avenue. Too much history and culture.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Hate to sound like a curmudgeon ( though I am sometimes), but I don't see a "Champs Elysees"  anywhere in Houston ever developing. South Post Oak can become like an Avenue Montaigne and Montrose Blvd. a Paseo del Prado in Madrid , but the Champs Elysees is a non duplicating avenue. Too much history and culture.

 

ya let's not go overboard here. Post Oak can certainly become our mini version of Park Ave. or Rodeo Drive but Houston will never have anything that compares to the Champs Elysees. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, swtsig said:

 

Houston will never have anything that compares to the Champs Elysees. 

 

You mean an overly wide right-of-way dominated by automobile traffic? Houston has plenty of those!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Angostura said:

 

You mean an overly wide right-of-way dominated by automobile traffic? Houston has plenty of those!

 In that category we clean Paris's clock. I believe the Katy freeway is the widest highway in the world.

 

But seriously the Champs Elysees  "begins" at the Triumphal Arch in which the remains of a unknown French solider is interred and lit by an eternal flame. The avenue is used for bastille day celebrations. It has been the scene of many historic events: Charles deGaulle and the liberation of Paris, the US 28th infantry division marching through to go to battle. In addition the Tour de France ends there. The avenue ends at  the  Place de la Concorde, stunningly beautiful and with much historical significance, which leads to the Louvre, the world's largest Art Museum and former palaces of the Kings and Queens of France. I left out gardens and several other things.  Duplicating the avenue in our great city is impossible.

 

As switsig previously mentioned we can have a Park ave. or Rodeo dr. That in my opinion is very doable.

Edited by Twinsanity02
grammar
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

 In that category we clean Paris's clock. I believe the Katy freeway is the widest highway in the world.

 

But seriously the Champs Elysees  "begins" at the Triumphal Arch in which the remains of a unknown French solider is interred and lit by an eternal flame. The avenue is used for bastille day celebrations. It has been the scene of many historic events: Charles deGaulle and the liberation of Paris, the US 28th infantry division marching through to go to battle. In addition the Tour de France ends there. The avenue ends at  the  Place de la Concorde, stunningly beautiful and with much historical significance, which leads to the Louvre, the world's largest Art Museum and former palaces of the Kings and Queens of France. I left out gardens and several other things.  Duplicating the avenue in our great city is impossible.

 

As switsig previously mentioned we can have a Park ave. or Rodeo dr. That in my opinion is very doable.

 

I read somewhere that one of the tests for a city is if there were a city-wide protest or celebration, would everyone instinctively know where to go to participate. I'm pretty sure Houston fails this one.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...