La Colombe d'Or Hotel At 3410 Montrose Blvd.

Urbannizer

3 minutes ago, CaptainJilliams said:

Just skimming over the past 3 photos, it seems like little to no progress has been made.

Is it just me or has this slowed down considerably? Maybe they are doing internal work?

That is what I'm thinking, the bones are done and now the guts are being done. And the skin will be next.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, bobruss said:

Montrose is really shaping into what I thought it would become. Now they just need to rework Montrose Blvd. with new sidewalks and lighting and landscaping. Re engineer the lanes and perhaps bring back the median for landscaping or even a trolley that would run from the park to Washington Ave.

I've always thought that Montrose should become our Champ Elysees. Lined with high rise and mid rise residential towers, and make Montrose Blvd. the Museum blvd. with sculpture more water features and a large round about at Westheimer. The arts would be featured the entire route from Hermann Park to Buffalo Bayou.

I think Post Oak is aspiring for the title of our "Champ Elysees", but you're right about Montrose shaping up to be something special.  I just wish something bold and exciting could be done at the intersection of Westheimer and Montrose.  Is that corner cursed to always have mattress stores and an urgent care clinic?  So much potential, but unlikely to be realized in my lifetime.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mls1202 said:

I think Post Oak is aspiring for the title of our "Champ Elysees", but you're right about Montrose shaping up to be something special.  I just wish something bold and exciting could be done at the intersection of Westheimer and Montrose.  Is that corner cursed to always have mattress stores and an urgent care clinic?  So much potential, but unlikely to be realized in my lifetime.

PMRG supposedly owns this block and waiting out the leases before something happens.

• Like 1

Hate to sound like a curmudgeon ( though I am sometimes), but I don't see a "Champs Elysees"  anywhere in Houston ever developing. South Post Oak can become like an Avenue Montaigne and Montrose Blvd. a Paseo del Prado in Madrid , but the Champs Elysees is a non duplicating avenue. Too much history and culture.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Hate to sound like a curmudgeon ( though I am sometimes), but I don't see a "Champs Elysees"  anywhere in Houston ever developing. South Post Oak can become like an Avenue Montaigne and Montrose Blvd. a Paseo del Prado in Madrid , but the Champs Elysees is a non duplicating avenue. Too much history and culture.

ya let's not go overboard here. Post Oak can certainly become our mini version of Park Ave. or Rodeo Drive but Houston will never have anything that compares to the Champs Elysees. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Angostura said:

You mean an overly wide right-of-way dominated by automobile traffic? Houston has plenty of those!

In that category we clean Paris's clock. I believe the Katy freeway is the widest highway in the world.

But seriously the Champs Elysees  "begins" at the Triumphal Arch in which the remains of a unknown French solider is interred and lit by an eternal flame. The avenue is used for bastille day celebrations. It has been the scene of many historic events: Charles deGaulle and the liberation of Paris, the US 28th infantry division marching through to go to battle. In addition the Tour de France ends there. The avenue ends at  the  Place de la Concorde, stunningly beautiful and with much historical significance, which leads to the Louvre, the world's largest Art Museum and former palaces of the Kings and Queens of France. I left out gardens and several other things.  Duplicating the avenue in our great city is impossible.

As switsig previously mentioned we can have a Park ave. or Rodeo dr. That in my opinion is very doable.

Edited by Twinsanity02
grammar
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

In that category we clean Paris's clock. I believe the Katy freeway is the widest highway in the world.

But seriously the Champs Elysees  "begins" at the Triumphal Arch in which the remains of a unknown French solider is interred and lit by an eternal flame. The avenue is used for bastille day celebrations. It has been the scene of many historic events: Charles deGaulle and the liberation of Paris, the US 28th infantry division marching through to go to battle. In addition the Tour de France ends there. The avenue ends at  the  Place de la Concorde, stunningly beautiful and with much historical significance, which leads to the Louvre, the world's largest Art Museum and former palaces of the Kings and Queens of France. I left out gardens and several other things.  Duplicating the avenue in our great city is impossible.

As switsig previously mentioned we can have a Park ave. or Rodeo dr. That in my opinion is very doable.

I read somewhere that one of the tests for a city is if there were a city-wide protest or celebration, would everyone instinctively know where to go to participate. I'm pretty sure Houston fails this one.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Angostura said:

I read somewhere that one of the tests for a city is if there were a city-wide protest or celebration, would everyone instinctively know where to go to participate. I'm pretty sure Houston fails this one.

Allen Parkway / Memorial

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Angostura said:

Houston is quite unconventional in that sense. In addition all the significant clusters of high rises , downtown, Med Center, Uptown, Greenway Upper Kirby, soon Allen Parkway and Montrose , creates a diffuse urban feeling.

Edited by Twinsanity02
additional thought
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...