Texas Tower: 47-Story Office Tower At 845 Texas Ave.

democide

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, wxman said:

Oh ok! Wow, I learned something new today. Thanks for that.

however if you’re Hines and are planning three skyscrapers like the two recently completed and this one coming out of the ground, why not build a large 100-story building instead of three smaller ones? 

Im ignorant to this sort of shop talk. 

Getting the right economics depends on how much the ground underneath one or three projects would cost as one fixed component, but the price per floor will increase the higher you go among many other considerations. 

52 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Why doesn't this 50 story limit apply to Chinese cities or NYC? It must be market forces which I do not understand in the least.

I think Chinese supertalls get a LOT of government help, so market forces are not in play.

In Manhattan, the much higher costs of the raw land underneath the structure help justify the substantially increased costs of building higher than 50 stories (my understanding is that construction costs increase exponentially above that point).  For the Chronicle site, as an example, I think the land sold for about $50 Million.  In the Financial District of Manhattan, that same plot might be worth $500 Million.  In Houston, going higher yields diminishing returns because one can't command rents to cover the increased construction costs, which are the bigger component of what one would need to recover, especially when one can just buy more land.

36 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

Yep...

K6yOUJ6.jpg

It's incredible to see how massive parking garages are nowadays in floor to ceiling height compared to their counterparts from decades ago.

Edit: That was the nicest parking lot we had in downtown. :( lol Guess they made a quick penny on it though for a few months while it was open.

46 minutes ago, WakeUpHouston said:

Timoric: It has to be over 781 feet to be the No. 4 tallest building in Houston.
The 5th tallest building is at 762 feet, the Heritage Plaza. 6th the Enterprise Plaza (at 756 feet), and the 7th is the 609 MAIN AT TEXAS (at 752 feet - 609mainattexas.com/#techspecs ).

From this image you can see the atrium levels are about the same height as 609 Main's crown.

42772949114_08e4a9faed_h.jpg

Here it appears taller as well.

41682248490_74cb4340b2_h.jpg

Me thinks it'll come in as the 5th tallest, but I'm hoping for our first 800' footer.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

From this image you can see the atrium levels are about the same height as 609 Main's crown.

Me thinks it'll come in as the 5th tallest, but I'm hoping for our first 800' footer.

Seriously.. we need an 800 footer in our lineup.

1 hour ago, Triton said:

It's incredible to see how massive parking garages are nowadays in floor to ceiling height compared to their counterparts from decades ago.

Edit: That was the nicest parking lot we had in downtown. :( lol Guess they made a quick penny on it though for a few months while it was open.

The parking has not even been complete for a year - it finished right before Harvey - I wonder why they even bothered putting it up given this was in the works so soon. It's also extremely annoying that this sidewalk is out of commission again - it's been nearly 3-4 years since we've been able to reliably use it!

Isn’t that the wrong block, guys? Those orange barricades are next to the Calpine Center but the rendering shows this tower being across the street and directly north of Chase....or am I just totally confused?

btw, It may be just me but the rendering for this tower looks quit a bit shorter than 609 Main from the MMP view versus the view from the west next to the BOA building. It’s hard to gauge the true height of this.

8 minutes ago, wxman said:

Isn’t that the wrong block, guys? Those orange barricades are next to the Calpine Center but the rendering shows this tower being across the street and directly north of Chase....or am I just totally confused?

Chase is catty-corner to Calpine Center.  They are across the street from each other.

1 hour ago, Urbannizer said:

Sooooooooo what's up with the new residential looking tower in the far left where Market Square Tower is supposed to be???

21 minutes ago, wxman said:

This lot, Calpine, Chase and Jones Hall are at the Milam/Texas intersection.  As noted, Calpine and Chase are diagonally across the intersection from each other.  I think the diagonal orientation of the building in relation to the street grid and the limitations of the rendering make it a bit wonky looking in places. 

1 hour ago, Urbannizer said:

This is a GREAT looking building.  Unique.  And it’s oriented at an angle from everything else .  Smart.  I hope you’re right, Urbannizer.  800’ would be nice.  But at 48 floors, I bet it comes in right in line with 609 main — 750’ +/-

considering the size of the crown is a decent deal higher than 609 in both pics, it should be able to breach the 800 ft mark even if it's 48 floors. I'm also wondering if the crown will have some type of lighting scheme. But, I'm not gonna lie this tower is gonna make a pretty big change to this part of the skyline. 

18 hours ago, wxman said:

Wow, i like it. It sort of remind me of of one of the high rises in Pittsburgh. 

This will be a a great addition to the skyline but what’s with the ceiling of 47-48 stories? 

I thought the same thing.

9 hours ago, PAC said:

The ceiling is that 36-37 office floors (on top of 10-11 parking levels) is the maximum you can build with 3 elevator banks without going to a sky lobby setup (which no tenant wants).  Hence ~50 stories is the maximum you’ll see for a long time.

Darn elevator companies, they need to update their technology. 

--------------

- The first floor of the office tower looks surprisingly to scale and welcoming.

- And that residential tower looks a lot like the new PM Realty building by 59 south. Also, it looks like there are two residential towers, doesn't it?

m653pZP_PEvws2pea75iAKAFPQTyZhhSJN65Y4bKlj7bZiPLjLXpG6Y4q0vXfVxuGdAhCWNPov4=w284-h437-no

Edited by lockmat

1 hour ago, lockmat said:

I thought the same thing.

Darn elevator companies, they need to update their technology. 

--------------

- The first floor of the office tower looks surprisingly to scale and welcoming.

- And that residential tower looks a lot like the new PM Realty building by 59 south. Also, it looks like there are two residential towers, doesn't it?

m653pZP_PEvws2pea75iAKAFPQTyZhhSJN65Y4bKlj7bZiPLjLXpG6Y4q0vXfVxuGdAhCWNPov4=w284-h437-no

#2 is One Market Square... if it ever gets built....

58 minutes ago, Avossos said:

There's no way. It's too far away from this new Hines office tower, it's too short and doesn't look anything like it.

Edit: You could be right. I think the spacing of the two Hines buildings is way off. They're diagonally across the street from one another but based on the rendering it looks like at least two blocks separates them. And unless the Hines resi building is super tall, One Market Square is much taller than what it's showing, and there is no slanted roof.

Edited by lockmat

1 hour ago, TheSirDingle said:

considering the size of the crown is a decent deal higher than 609 in both pics, it should be able to breach the 800 ft mark even if it's 48 floors. I'm also wondering if the crown will have some type of lighting scheme. But, I'm not gonna lie this tower is gonna make a pretty big change to this part of the skyline. 

That crown would have to be huge. 609 Main has 48 floors - will the crown really be that much taller or the height of each floor that much bigger to push it more than 10 or 20 feet above 609 Main?

12 minutes ago, SmellyHoustonian said:

That crown would have to be huge. 609 Main has 48 floors - will the crown really be that much taller or the height of each floor that much bigger to push it more than 10 or 20 feet above 609 Main?

The podium might be bigger? Considering how much higher it looks in the renderings, but the crown does look decently big.

The renderings from the North west make it look taller, but take a look at the renderings from Minute Maid Park, it appears shorter. I think that is a better comparison shot since the two buildings are relatively "straight on" from the ball park. Whereas from the North West, its a little more perspective insofar that the new building is "closer to the camera"

All of this is arguing semantics since were not sure how closely the rendering is modeled with "realty" But my personal opinion is that this building will be relatively close in height to 609 Main.

Edit: I could be wrong though, The view from Minute maid would also have 609 main "2 blocks closer" so the same perspective issue could apply. 

Edited by Purdueenginerd

1 hour ago, Avossos said:

Might just be one tower with different design elements but it's definitely not one market square. They're not going to market a competitor.