SMUrban

You'd have to ask the folks who designed it. My guess is, no, they didn't go out of their way to invite people from the streets. People on the streets downtown are usually losers who can't afford Chik-Fil-A. Why bother with doors for street people?

Maybe b/c someone might build a luxury apartment complex on the adjacent lot?

Not much to it. I agree it's kind of lame. My favorite part is dining out on the terrace, but now One Park Place is blocking the view, which would have been great now that Discovery Green is here. Not that I'm not glad about One Park Place.

They could use better stores. The food court is fine.

Yet everyone's excited about HP, with its noticeable lack of good retail, and abundance of overpriced theme bars and restaurants for a downtown residential population that doesn't exist.

i wouldnt say i was too excited about HP

im actually irratated at the lack or retail/stores...

i wouldnt say i was too excited about HP

im actually irratated at the lack or retail/stores...

Are you planning to drive from Pasadena to HP to go shopping?

i dont really know why they would need to connect them via tunnels

its just a street crossing

and even if it rained ;whats a 15- 30 second run?

The tunnels connect to lot more than The Shops. If I was renting a luxury apartment downtown, I'd want tunnel access.

I've accepted it for what it is: it's a useful and popular place for lunchtime crowds and convenience shopping but it's not a "destination". It's not meant to be the talk of the town or any other town.

I'm sure that it can evolve as downtown evolves but right now, it seems to work pretty well for what it is.

But couldn't they at least spruce it up a bit? Seems like it went downhill after Brooks Brother's left.

The tunnels connect to lot more than The Shops. If I was renting a luxury apartment downtown, I'd want tunnel access.

Why? The tunnels are closed after 5 pm and are also closed on weekends. Since most downtown residents are at work during the hours in which the tunnels are open, tunnel access from your apartment is essentially useless.

Why? The tunnels are closed after 5 pm and are also closed on weekends. Since most downtown residents are at work during the hours in which the tunnels are open, tunnel access from your apartment is essentially useless.

Unless you want to walk to and from work in them.

Are you planning to drive from Pasadena to HP to go shopping?

Ok, im not saying im going to HP just to buy me some pants,

but i like to go to downtown as much as possible and if

all i see is a food court at HP then that will be dissapointing

(yes im exaggerating, i know theres forever 21 and HOB and more besides restaurants)

Long ago, The Shops used to have these futuristic indoor fountains which I was horribly disappointed to see go away. Does anyone have pictures of them?

The colored pipes? Sorry to hear they're gone.

Part of the problem with this mall was that it was designed in the context of a development that never fully happened. The entire Houston Center was envisioned with the "street" level being 60 feet up from the street, with the area beneath dedicated to parking and service functions. The Park (as it was originally) would have fit in fine with the original scheme. The problem is that when the plan was dropped the mall was left with poor street access and visibility. They have tried to make some changes to open it up some more, but it is still stuck with the basic design. I'm glad they've done as well as they have with the food court business.

• Like 1

7PM, but I still agree. I live downtown and never use the tunnels.

I've only spent money once at Houston Center, on an accounting manual from Waldenbooks. It's far enough from the Rice that I never find a reason to go there. Main Street has everything Houston Center has, except better -- oh, and a Macy's. When I do find myself heading in that general direction, it's to Discovery Green, and on a weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

I was downtown on jury duty last week and ventured to The Shops. It is not as bad as everyone says. I enjoyed lunch one day at Topz Burgers (they claim they are better for you because of their lower fat content and aero fries ... and it was tasty ... hamburger, fries and a coke for $5.83 couldn't be beat).

They also have free Wifi but I couldn't get it to work, so ... that is a minus in my book!

I was downtown on jury duty last week and ventured to The Shops. It is not as bad as everyone says. I enjoyed lunch one day at Topz Burgers (they claim they are better for you because of their lower fat content and aero fries ... and it was tasty ... hamburger, fries and a coke for $5.83 couldn't be beat).

They also have free Wifi but I couldn't get it to work, so ... that is a minus in my book!

What about "The Shops"?

It seems everyone has acknowledged it as a nice foodcourt.

You have to try Doozo. Best dumplings in town. Worth driving downtown for.

What about "The Shops"?

It seems everyone has acknowledged it as a nice foodcourt.

Because that is basically the only thing there. And to be honest it isn't all that great of a food court. -- The only reason I go there is because my building is connected to it via skywalks.

When i go to TOPZ it costs like $8! I think i get the 2nd size burger. I always go to the one on travis though.

It IS a great foodcourt, not by design but because of the vendors. Doozo is freaking crack, that line is ALWAYS crazy long but it moves fast enough to prevent long wait times. Potbelly and Drubi are also really good. Can't say i like Otto's, but the other three i mentioned are fantastic... especially doozo. mmmmmmm

When i go to TOPZ it costs like $8! I think i get the 2nd size burger. I always go to the one on travis though.

It IS a great foodcourt, not by design but because of the vendors. Doozo is freaking crack, that line is ALWAYS crazy long but it moves fast enough to prevent long wait times. Potbelly and Drubi are also really good. Can't say i like Otto's, but the other three i mentioned are fantastic... especially doozo. mmmmmmm

Topz was running a special for the month I believe. As for Doozo, I've heard about it, but not been there yet. The line (both days I visited The Shops) seemed ... daunting.

I will have to try them out though because you are like the 3rd or 4th person (not just on this list) to tell me about them. Was this the one that was started by a little old lady? I think I read something about them in a HoustonPress article.

Topz was running a special for the month I believe. As for Doozo, I've heard about it, but not been there yet. The line (both days I visited The Shops) seemed ... daunting.

I will have to try them out though because you are like the 3rd or 4th person (not just on this list) to tell me about them. Was this the one that was started by a little old lady? I think I read something about them in a HoustonPress article.

Don't be daunted!! Stop it! The line moves fast because it's "soup-nazi" style: have your money ready, speak your order clearly, move to the right, and nobody gets hurt. Get the spicy pork.

Don't be daunted!! Stop it! The line moves fast because it's "soup-nazi" style: have your money ready, speak your order clearly, move to the right, and nobody gets hurt. Get the spicy pork.

Okay, I'm convinced. I'm off tomorrow (my next-to-the-last last Friday off for the summer) and am going to hit The Shops for lunch if I finish my homework tonight and tomorrow morning.

LOL that is so true. I will say she is only like that during lunch rush hour. I have talked to her on occasion when she isn't busy and she is extremely nice.

You have to get the vegetarian dumplings. Or at the very least go half-and-half with veggie if you're going to try the pork.

The lady who runs the place is little but certainly not old.

And she's extremely efficient but nice (or pragmatic) -- one time (way back when I used to go there twice a week and before they took credit cards) I didn't realize I had no cash on me until I had the dumplings in hand. She said I could pay her next time, which I did of course.

As for the line, it could stretch past Potbelly into the main hallway and you'll STILL have your dumplings in 5 minutes or less.

Okay, here the excerpt from the article I remember reading in HoustonPress.com (May 2006) -- I can't believe I still haven't made it there:

But it's clear the longest line belongs to Doozo Dumpling and Noodle.

The menu is simple: Steamed dumplings, ten for $5, pork or veggie, spicy or mild. Perhaps you'd like a half-order. That's available too, as are two noodle dishes and two kinds of sushi roll.

In line are several men in khaki pants and women in pantsuits, all waiting patiently, holding their money and talking about work.

Behind the counter is a middle-aged Asian woman in a bright orange sweater, stacks of Styrofoam containers piled behind her, directing a fleet of employees dressed in yellow T-shirts.

"Ten spicy pork!" she yells. "Pepsi!" she demands. "Five mild veg!" she calls back to her hive of yellow-clad bees.

Doozo's "dumpling nazi" is nothing short of a food-slinging maestro. She has to be. Being located in the food court next to downtown's corporations is both a blessing and a curse. Built-in business, to be sure, but not exactly a place folks are seeking for anything more than a quick fix. No, Doozo has two and a half lunchtime hours (11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.) to maximize profits and move asses through the line.

Because of this, each move she makes is precise, each uttered word audible. Her employees listen for her cues, not making a move until given instruction. An indecisive customer costs her money. If she's frank, it's because of this fact.

Full text here: http://www.houstonpress.com/2006-05-04/new...-s-food-nazis/2