Guest Plastic

without those TV timeouts imagine how much we'd have to pay for a ticket to the game.

Personally, I'd love to see TV timeouts go away. it's most annoying in football to have to watch some dude come out on the field and hold the game up after each score and each change of possession. I go to less live football games because of it.

It's the timeouts coupled with the overall slow pace of play so there is a perceived need to keep the crowd occupied with giant video boards. I bought Astros season ticket packages for years so I must have been to hundreds of games. Still, eventually I just lost patience. I hated the high concession prices. I hated having my backpack searched and contraband bottles of water confiscated. I hated the obligatory mass singing of patriotic songs. Most of all I hated the non-stop entertainment programming: audience shots, playing "Twist and Shout" or whatnot, clips of cute kids, quizzes, player interviews etc etc etc. It just wasn't worth it spending three hours of which 40 minutes was game time and the rest teevee.

Now I would much rather watch a soccer match where except for a break in the middle, there is actually 90 minutes of non-stop game action so there isn't a need for video entertainment to keep the punters amused.

• Like 1

It's the timeouts coupled with the overall slow pace of play so there is a perceived need to keep the crowd occupied with giant video boards. I bought Astros season ticket packages for years so I must have been to hundreds of games. Still, eventually I just lost patience. I hated the high concession prices. I hated having my backpack searched and contraband bottles of water confiscated. I hated the obligatory mass singing of patriotic songs. Most of all I hated the non-stop entertainment programming: audience shots, playing "Twist and Shout" or whatnot, clips of cute kids, quizzes, player interviews etc etc etc. It just wasn't worth it spending three hours of which 40 minutes was game time and the rest teevee.

Now I would much rather watch a soccer match where except for a break in the middle, there is actually 90 minutes of non-stop game action so there isn't a need for video entertainment to keep the punters amused.

As a regular baseball goer, for me it was always about the experience. The drinking and anticipation before the game and meeting new people. There are times when I would just sit with my g/f and chat while we kept an eye on the action, talk to seated around me, or simply be part of a larger crowd.

As far as whining about the concessions and the searches, that happens at most other sports and isn't exclusive to Baseball. To be honest, that's just being picky.

I do look forward to the Dynamo stadium, as it stands, I avoid the games at Robertson because it's a pain to get in and out of the area.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Didn't really think this needed a new thread for this.

But I drove by and discovered that the locomotive is being moved! Does anyone know if they're just moving it out of the way from the Rail construction? How ironic.

Thought I'd take some uncluttered photos of this beauty.

DSC05612.JPG

DSC05642.JPG

DSC05638.JPG

DSC05645.JPG

• Like 2

I think the Houston Junior Chamber of Commerce owns it. But it's weird, the snippet on their homepage says Astros fans see it every time they hit a home run. But how can that be when it's outside? They can't be talking about the one with the oranges, could they? The one pictured is the one we're talking about.

http://www.houstonjaycees.org/0/1890103/0/50705/

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I was at the Astros game last night and noticed some new structures built along the outfield lights where I think the Citgo sign used to be. Does anyone know if this is going to be more space for ads? If ads are placed here It will block some of the views of downtown and a couple of the pennants along the outfield wall.

• Like 1

I saw that two and at first I thought it was going to be another scoreboard. As it blocks half of the train tracks, guess the choo-choo is going away.

Not to hijack your thread, but I have a question as well about Minute Maid Park. I've noticed the last two years that they won't sell you the $5 outfield upper deck seats on the day of the game any more, claining they are sold out. Ha! More than half of the seats are empty in those sections during the game, so what's up with that? Are they trying to force you to buy a more expensive seat?

Well, I figured if they were going to force me to buy a more expensive seat I didn't want, then one bad turn deserves another. I bought a $13 view deck seat and went and sat in the field boxes.

Does anyone know what the story is? This has now happened to me several times in the last two seasons.

• Like 1

And if the Astros go back to the navy and orange next year, I wonder if there will be a new paint scheme at MMP. No idea what it is and apparently no one is suppose to be talking about it. Here is a photo:

x98yh.jpg

• Like 1

I saw that two and at first I thought it was going to be another scoreboard. As it blocks half of the train tracks, guess the choo-choo is going away.

Not to hijack your thread, but I have a question as well about Minute Maid Park. I've noticed the last two years that they won't sell you the $5 outfield upper deck seats on the day of the game any more, claining they are sold out. Ha! More than half of the seats are empty in those sections during the game, so what's up with that? Are they trying to force you to buy a more expensive seat?

Well, I figured if they were going to force me to buy a more expensive seat I didn't want, then one bad turn deserves another. I bought a $13 view deck seat and went and sat in the field boxes.

Does anyone know what the story is? This has now happened to me several times in the last two seasons.

I went to a game earlier this year too trying to $5 tickets on walkup and they said the same thing and most were empty.

I thought the new ownership was committed to keeping prices low for fans?

Maybe not.

I am going to miss Alyson Footer. She was one of the best assets the Astros had, but rumor is they didn't think she was worth keeping on and they tried to reassign her.

I was at the game on Wednesday night in the field level down the first base line. When 12 billboards go up, the place is going to look even trashier. There's already sensory overload with billboards, video boards, commercial announcements, logo races, music, etc... and this is just going to add to it. The view will certainly be altered in a negative way as well. Might as well just lose the glass at this point and cement the whole damn thing and plaster it with even more ads.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...