Guest Plastic

6 hours ago, editor said:

Slightly off-topic, but still on-topic, since this thread is about Minute Maid Park:

Is it still possible to watch a game through the windows?  When MMP first opened, there was a set of large windows where the public could stand and look down on the field and see a game from outside.  I remember standing there with some homeless guys for an inning or so of one game.

I can't guarantee the area is accessible on game days, but generally, you can walk up to the windows and see into the stadium. But you won't be able to see much, if any, of the actual game (and never could) as the field is well below grade and there are lots of things (and people) between you and the field.  None of this has changed significantly since the ballpark opened.

• Thanks 1

Something to keep an 

On 12/15/2022 at 6:59 PM, tigereye said:

Scoreboards & LED ribbon boards being upgraded by Samsung, which is why we’ve seen El Grande dismantled lately. 

https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-houston-astros-transform-minute-maid-park-champion-technology?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=usnews&utm_campaign=display

Something to keep an eye on. Crane has said in the past that they could add an electronic out of town scoreboard. It could happen in this deal.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 10:53 AM, tigereye said:

Something to keep an 

Something to keep an eye on. Crane has said in the past that they could add an electronic out of town scoreboard. It could happen in this deal.

That tweet is from 4 1/2 years ago!  

They already removed Tal’s Hill!!  Now the scoreboard?  The Crawford Boxes?  I’d rather them remove the train!

• Sad 1

On 12/28/2022 at 1:47 PM, nate4l1f3 said:

Talked to another construction worker today and he mentioned that the stone facade is going right back up once they finish extending the team store out. That’s cool but at the same time I was hoping for something more at street level 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 2

On 12/31/2022 at 12:20 PM, Amlaham said:

Sooooo they tore up those 50+ mature trees for that tiny extension?

Over It Reaction GIF

It’s not as if it was an old-growth forest.  Those trees were, at the very most, 25 years old.   

Also, I suspect they have plans for the rest of that space.  Our seems unlikely they would have removed all those trees just for this small billing extension.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 12:54 PM, Houston19514 said:

It’s not as if it was an old-growth forest.  Those trees were, at the very most, 25 years old.   

Also, I suspect they have plans for the rest of that space.  Our seems unlikely they would have removed all those trees just for this small billing extension.

25 year old trees are pretty mature. The trees were HUGE, I just value trees more than the average person. IMO, every tree cut down is a loss, whether 10 years old or 100 years old. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Amlaham said:

25 year old trees are pretty mature. The trees were HUGE, I just value trees more than the average person. IMO, every tree cut down is a loss, whether 10 years old or 100 years old. 

A subjective judgment to be sure, but I wouldn't call them mature and far from HUGE.  They looked fairly spindly to me.

image.png.8f553cbc1194136463680b09de0647a5.png

4 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

A subjective judgment to be sure, but I wouldn't call them mature and far from HUGE.  They looked fairly spindly to me.

image.png.8f553cbc1194136463680b09de0647a5.png

I always enjoyed those ornamental trees at The Plaza.  Are you sure they were cut down and not just dug up?  They weren’t that big.  I certainly would not have described them as huge.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, steve1363 said:

I always enjoyed those ornamental trees at The Plaza.  Are you sure they were cut down and not just dug up?  They weren’t that big.  I certainly would not have described them as huge.

I've also been wondering if they were really cut down or if they were dug up to be replanted.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 10:53 AM, tigereye said:

Something to keep an 

Confirmed: The manually operated scoreboard in left will remain 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2023 at 3:19 PM, hindesky said:

o2kHNku.jpg

Xj1apwS.jpg

Maybe I’m reading too much into it but the extension built out from the rail bridge for the enlarged team store looks to match the width of extension that connects to Union Station on the other end. So while it obviously won’t happen now, maybe there’ll be something constructed on this site in the future. I still think it would be the perfect spot for a team Hall of Fame building. 

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tigereye said:

Maybe I’m reading too much into it but the extension built out from the rail bridge for the enlarged team store looks to match the width of extension that connects to Union Station on the other end. So while it obviously won’t happen now, maybe there’ll be something constructed on this site in the future. I still think it would be the perfect spot for a team Hall of Fame building. 

Speaking of Union Station, that was always my favorite entrance to the game irrespective of where my seats were.  I love the large hall and tall columns.  Is it still an entry point?  The last few times I went to games the doors were locked and we were routed to the entrance on Texas.  🙁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve1363 said:

Speaking of Union Station, that was always my favorite entrance to the game irrespective of where my seats were.  I love the large hall and tall columns.  Is it still an entry point?  The last few times I went to games the doors were locked and we were routed to the entrance on Texas.  🙁

They've converted the lobby into the team store, so on game days those doors are closed.  On non-game days they are open

• Thanks 1