Guest Plastic

This whole thing is weird to me. There hasn’t been any announcement or press release so I’m assuming it isn’t a major addition, at the same time the timing is weird with the playoffs right around the corner. Maybe it’s an emergency repair of some sort?? Idk but I’m really curious.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was able to talk to one of the construction workers today (nice guy) and he told me that they’re  expanding and building a new team store that will expand out in the place of where the trees were. If I understood him correctly this thing will be huge. I asked him if it will be just a new team store or perhaps a restaurant or other space as well but he sounded unsure. Half of the facade that stretched from the end of the tracks right the center field entrance was off already. I’m surprised we haven’t heard or seen any renderings 🤷🏻‍♂️

If this ends up being a team store/Astros hall of fame then @tigereye deserves an award for suggesting this a couple years ago haha. 

Edited by nate4l1f3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, hindesky said:

The two times I went by there I was hoping to talk with one of the workers to see if they knew what they were building but they never came close enough to the open gate where I was.

I was lucky because the gate was widen open and one of the guys happened to be on the sidewalk messing with his phone. You should ask yourself if you get a chance, maybe you’ll get more info than I got. 

Edited by nate4l1f3
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

I was able to talk to one of the construction workers today (nice guy) and he told me that they’re  expanding and building a new team store that will expand out in the place of where the trees were. If I understood him correctly this thing will be huge. I asked him if it will be just a new team store or perhaps a restaurant or other space as well but he sounded unsure. Half of the facade that stretched from the end of the tracks right the center field entrance was off already. I’m surprised we haven’t heard or seen any renderings 🤷🏻‍♂️

If this ends up being a team store/Astros hall of fame then @tigereye deserves an award for suggesting this a couple years ago haha. 

Could be something larger. On a DM with Mike Acosta: 

I’m not certain. There were big plans for the west side of the ballpark. Not sure if this is part of it on a smaller scale or if it is the beginning of that big project.

21 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Wouldn’t be the first idea come to reality. 

In 2018, I tweeted out an idea for a rooftop brewery. Eventually Michelob Ultra deck was built. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Are you sure he’s not talking about the ballpark village? Unless I’m turned around, this current construction is more North or East of the stadium than West. 

Pretty certain. Ballpark Village is south side of the park. West would be along Crawford and the Astros had this plot along with the old halfway house plot directly across Crawford from where this activity is on going.

They’ve got parcels to do something with so I wouldn’t be surprised if there was another project separate from the ballpark village. 

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 1

Weird thing happened here with my drone. The software told me I was near a prison but it let me take off. I took off from the parking lot across the street with no problem.  After I took the pics it wouldn't let me land from where I took off. I thought I was going to have to land it in the trees. Then I remembered this parking lot used to be a prison/jail commissary so I had to go forward and land it on the sidewalk right next to this project. Software needs an update.

MYRMa5b.jpg

E4RCIjQ.jpg

• Like 5

On 10/2/2022 at 11:53 AM, hindesky said:

Weird thing happened here with my drone. The software told me I was near a prison but it let me take off. I took off from the parking lot across the street with no problem.  After I took the pics it wouldn't let me land from where I took off. I thought I was going to have to land it in the trees. Then I remembered this parking lot used to be a prison/jail commissary so I had to go forward and land it on the sidewalk right next to this project. Software needs an update.

MYRMa5b.jpg

E4RCIjQ.jpg

😍Keep the updates coming on this one especially since we don’t have any renderings.

• 1 month later...

It seems like the older this ballpark gets the better it gets I was looking at photos of the new ballpark in Arlington it's nice but it seems kinda sterile. I also like the glass that lets in all the natural lighting in the outfield. I think our ballpark has a lot character and is turning into a classic in my opinion.

Go Astros tonight 🤘🏽👩🏾‍🚀

• Like 6

2 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Well the Ballpark Village has to be a "go" now, and I hope this season made it easier to select the "Rolls Royce" option!  Sounds like Crane can finance a good chunk of it with weekend t-shirt sales!

Man I've been thinking the same! How many lots does he own again?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kennyc05 said:

Man I've been thinking the same! How many lots does he own again?

From what I can glean above, he bought Block 161 in 2016 where the Home Plate Bar and Grill was and then (maybe?) an additional 1.738 acres of land (which I think is equivalent a full city block) in 2019--maybe block 119?  Or maybe he just bought a single block.  

Here's a block map I found:

https://www.downtownhouston.org/media/uploads/attachments/2019-07-31/140627_Block_Map2.pdf

What is with Avenida de las Americas running straight through blocks 119, 120, and 121 BTW?  Were these blocks divided when the Convention Center was built?  Sure would be nice to have MMP fully connected to the Convention Center area by something other than parking lots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2022 at 8:55 AM, mattyt36 said:

From what I can glean above, he bought Block 161 in 2016 where the Home Plate Bar and Grill was and then (maybe?) an additional 1.738 acres of land (which I think is equivalent a full city block) in 2019--maybe block 119?  Or maybe he just bought a single block.  

Here's a block map I found:

https://www.downtownhouston.org/media/uploads/attachments/2019-07-31/140627_Block_Map2.pdf

What is with Avenida de las Americas running straight through blocks 119, 120, and 121 BTW?  Were these blocks divided when the Convention Center was built?  Sure would be nice to have MMP fully connected to the Convention Center area by something other than parking lots.

Crane owns part of 119 after the city abandoned Chenevert through the site.

The ballpark mixed use development at the Home Plate site (161 + 119) would help serve as the connection to the Convention Center area. The only block undeveloped remaining would be the super block of 120 & 100. 

Edit: Crane might also own block 27 where the South Texas Intermediate Halfway House was recently demolished 

2nd Edit: Crane also own the Jackson Street BBQ site on Block 115. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/restaurants-bars/article/Downtown-s-Jackson-Street-BBQ-closes-after-8-16991784.php

Owner Bill Floyd, who opened the restaurant with pitmaster Greg Gatlin and then partner Bryan Caswell, said he chose not to renew the lease at 209 Jackson owned by Astros owner and chairman Jim Crane.

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/14/2022 at 3:47 PM, tigereye said:

Crane owns part of 119 after the city abandoned Chenevert through the site.

The ballpark mixed use development at the Home Plate site (161 + 119) would help serve as the connection to the Convention Center area. The only block undeveloped remaining would be the super block of 120 & 100. 

Edit: Crane might also own block 27 where the South Texas Intermediate Halfway House was recently demolished 

2nd Edit: Crane also own the Jackson Street BBQ site on Block 115. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/restaurants-bars/article/Downtown-s-Jackson-Street-BBQ-closes-after-8-16991784.php

Crane has also said he was working with/talking to the Annunciation church people about using the rest of Block 119.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/14/2022 at 4:47 PM, tigereye said:

Would you know who owns blocks 120 and 100?

Googling Louis Macey turns out he was a Houston council member who ran for Mayor. It appears his company also owns Lam Parking which runs that particular lot. I can't see the article but it also looks like he bought a bunch of property in Eado.

Edited by hindesky

• 3 weeks later...

No pics but the entire left field area including the Halliburton Plaza (Bagwell & Biggio Statues) is completely closed off. 

I presume the championship bricks fans are purchasing will go in here? Or is this part of a larger project for the entire left field area (including enlarged team store in CF) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tigereye said:

No pics but the entire left field area including the Halliburton Plaza (Bagwell & Biggio Statues) is completely closed off. 

I presume the championship bricks fans are purchasing will go in here? Or is this part of a larger project for the entire left field area (including enlarged team store in CF) 

Yeah been that way for a while. 

3 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Yeah been that way for a while. 

The plaza itself wasn’t blocked during the season and playoffs 

Not my pic, just a random I found on IG used to illustrate my point. This plaza is now fenced off. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cky5bjappnu/?igshid=MDM4ZDc5MmU=

Edited by tigereye

19 hours ago, tigereye said:

The plaza itself wasn’t blocked during the season and playoffs 

Not my pic, just a random I found on IG used to illustrate my point. This plaza is now fenced off. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cky5bjappnu/?igshid=MDM4ZDc5MmU=

The Plaza itself was indeed blocked off. They took it down sometime during the Playoffs and recently put it back up. Trust me on this one .. 

• Like 1

Slightly off-topic, but still on-topic, since this thread is about Minute Maid Park:

Is it still possible to watch a game through the windows?  When MMP first opened, there was a set of large windows where the public could stand and look down on the field and see a game from outside.  I remember standing there with some homeless guys for an inning or so of one game.