Downtown Restaurant And Bar Market

I used to eat at there semi-regularly, but the food and the service both took a downturn. Combine that with a minor menu change that took away one of my favorite combos there, and I haven't been back since.

Hopefully the downtown location will get things back on track, as when they first opened in Montrose they were considerably better than the average sandwich shop.

Its not a sandwich shop, its a restaurant that has some sandwiches on its menu with many other things.

Agree that the food took a major downturn.

Hrm... sounds like any other place within a 78 mile radius.... maaaaayyybe someday I'll go there... but... maybe not. Is there an online menu?

I think it's worth it to talk about the general trends for Downtown retail (restaurants being a HUGE part). In recent months, several new eateries have opened in downtown, and in the coming months we will gain some true Houston staples like BB's cafe, Niko Niko's and Phoenicia. Along with others.

So the question is this... is downtown finally the new hotspot??

I think it's worth it to talk about the general trends for Downtown retail (restaurants being a HUGE part). In recent months, several new eateries have opened in downtown, and in the coming months we will gain some true Houston staples like BB's cafe, Niko Niko's and Phoenicia. Along with others.

So the question is this... is downtown finally the new hotspot??

I would argue that downtown has always been a "hotspot" since it was the heart of the "club scene"... just like Midtown and Montrose are still hotspots. They never died... they just mature into something better.

Edited by brian0123

I would argue that downtown has always been a "hotspot" since it was the heart of the "club scene"... just like Midtown and Montrose are still hotspots. They never died... they just mature into something better.

I somewhat agree with you.

They're still hot, but they aren't talked about. It's not "NEW" so there is no buzz, but people go there because they enjoy it or were introduced to it by friends who originally went there when it was first buzzing.

• 1 year later...

I was driving past the Shops at Houston and noticed that where Monsoon used to be on the corner of san jacinto and lamar st. there is a sign that says Texas Sports Bar & Grill coming soon. Its nice to see that empty space finally be put back to use again, there is always lots of people walking around there during the day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was driving past the Shops at Houston and noticed that where Monsoon used to be on the corner of san jacinto and lamar st. there is a sign that says Texas Sports Bar & Grill coming soon. Its nice to see that empty space finally be put back to use again, there is always lots of people walking around there during the day.

Oh nice, I did see them working inside last week, I was wondering what they were going to do with that place. Monsoon was really good for the first six months it was open, it just went downhill from there. Twisted Fork before Monsoon was really good, but they closed because they felt like they were being bullied from Crescent regarding the rent and refused to renew their lease. I hope Crescent learns from their mistakes with the Park Shops, I mean "Houston Center". They drove the really nice stores away :( Now it is just a cafeteria essentially.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2012/01/downtown-restaurants-shutter/

In terms of visibility, it's a loss. While the food quality had obviously deteriorated the last few years, the restaurant itself atleast had the look of a lively spot in Downtown.

But atleast we still have Frank's open next door.

Now, it's begin speculation on Cabo's replacement. Perhaps another Landry's Seafood joint?!?

Not sure why I don't have a reply option to post #2. 20thStDad, BB's is already two blocks away.

Cabo had a water line break in the sidewalk last week, so I assumed they were closed because they had no water - guess not.

On a positive note, Georgia's, on the other corner of that block is stocking their shelves. It looks like they'll open soon.

The comment thread at the Chronicle has evolved into a mildly interesting discussion of downtown's issues...

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2012/01/downtown-restaurants-shutter/

and mine

http://blog.chron.co...r/#comment-6999

As usual, most of the comments are misguided remarks by those who never go downtown. Parking? Cabo was on the Travis side of Main Street, with street parking on 2 sides, and parking lots next door and across the street. A guy named Mark complaining of tax and regulations (probably Marksmu). Downtown has no more tax and regulation than anywhere else in Houston.

The biggest problem for Cabo was the same problem other successful ventures face. The original owners with the grand idea sold the place at the height of its success. The difference in service and ambiance was immediate. It was palpable. I am not saying those new owners were bad, but they brought a different personality to the place, and for me at least, I went from a regular to sometime customer, then nothing. Frankly, I am surprised it lasted this long.

EDIT: Interestingly, one of the comments claims they did not renew their lease, and will re-open at another downtown location. Time will tell.

Edited by RedScare
  • Like 1

Not sure why I don't have a reply option to post #2. 20thStDad, BB's is already two blocks away.

Cabo had a water line break in the sidewalk last week, so I assumed they were closed because they had no water - guess not.

On a positive note, Georgia's, on the other corner of that block is stocking their shelves. It looks like they'll open soon.

I should go downtown more! I knew about one on Montrose and White Oak, not that one. At least it proves I am already right.

I ate there once, won't miss it. As far as what should replace it....

Applebees, definitely Applebees.

Obviously, the above is a joke, that location has soul, and the only thing close to a chain that I could see going in there would be a pappa's whatever, chuys would be really cool too.

Everyone here talking about they're hopeful of another chain restaurant! Applebees and Landrys? How do we get more people downtown when they can find these things right off their doorstep in the suburbs.