Sign in to follow this  
Triton

White Oak Music Hall 2915 N Main

wow so awesome! thanks for the pics! i am deeply immersed in the live music scene and this place blows me away! i really hope it delivers as the pics and article suggest!!! my best friend of 19 years is the lead singer of a touring rock band and really hope to see them play here one day! (shameless plug: check out www.blueoctober.com !) :) 

Edited by gene

1100975.jpg

i will MOS DEF be there!

please build this edifice just like the renders....

Edited by monarch
  • Like 1

wow so awesome! thanks for the pics! i am deeply immersed in the live music scene and this place blows me away! i really hope it delivers as the pics and article suggest!!! my best friend of 19 years is the lead singer of a touring rock band and really hope to see them play here one day! (shameless plug: check out www.blueoctober.com !) :)

Are they from the Klein area?

• Like 1

Are they from the Klein area?

well...Justin (singer) and  his brother Jeremy (drummer) are from the Heights area but now all of the members live in San Marcos/Austin/Round Rock area! (Justin attended HSPVA (as did Ryan the violinist) while Jeremy attended Waltrip)

Edited by gene

Redesign is a bit of an understatement lol. They actually bumped up the scale though. Its actually way better than the previous design. The last one was a little too modest. This design says screw that lets get a little bigger! This building is going to be a huge step up for this much blighted part of town and hopefully will jump start some more development. It will certainly give this area of town a nice destination and make the light rail line stop thats only a few blocks a way a little more worth it.

• Like 1

(shameless plug: check out www.blueoctober.com !) :)

Takes me back to the Java Jazz days...

I like the new renderings. Really awesome they are keeping the rooster tower, but I don't see the rooster!

• Like 1

Takes me back to the Java Jazz days...

Wow.... Java Jazz.... Haven't heard of that place in a while.

• Like 1

1200x700.jpg

I like how most of the crowd seems to be staring at their phones instead of Dude That Vaguely Looks Like Ed Sheeran on stage. 

• Like 3

Wow.... Java Jazz.... Haven't heard of that place in a while.

good times indeed!

Just to give people a scale from across the creek. This should also be the location of the bridge to cross the creek... looks like they are about to build homes as well.

17715510336_ceda1521dc_h.jpg

White Oak Music Hall by Marc longoria, on Flickr

Edited by Triton
  • Like 1

They better hurry and build out the venue before the NIMBY's start complaining about the noise at their new homes.

• Like 1

They better hurry and build out the venue before the NIMBY's start complaining about the noise at their new homes.

Well, the discussion with the developers has been going on for nearly a year now with the local community. It doesn't take newer homes for people to be upset. In fact, the Houston Chron article that came out last week actually pissed off a lot of people because the numbers don't match what the developers told the Superneighborhood committee by a long shot. All the numbers I've released to this thread have been straight from the developers. Plus, if you have a thriving nearly 100 year old community (yes, thriving) just to the north of this property and you add a massive outdoor music venue, I think you can imagine people will be very concerned about it.... It is certainly welcome news to get a major project that will spruce up the area and I absolutely plan on going to this concert hall (especially when they open the coffee shop), but I don't think it's that unreasonable to get some complaints....

Oh also, they are building a Holiday Inn Express somewhat next to this on N Main. (At the former Casa Grande location). I guess for bands more on a budget to use? Not a bad idea... especially for out of towners.

• Like 2

Those last three trees are now gone. This is east of the Rooster Tower aka Raven Tower (aka "watch tower").

See this old 2005 thread on it, with pics of when it still had the rooster up there.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/13104-raven-tower-metal-highrise-with-weather-vane/

I wish the developers would commission a new "folk art"-ish sculptural piece for up there, there's plenty of local talented sculptors, some even live in the neighborhood. Not gonna happen of course.

So what's going to go in this area where they 86'd those trees?

• Like 2

1/3rd is underwater. Surprisingly I didn't take a picture of this....

• Like 1

I saw that yesterday and remembered you mentioned the Holiday Inn Express coming in there. I haven't found anything regarding a new hotel coming in or plat information for that area with the city. Should be good news for the area though. Did you notice that 2223 N. Main is coming along nicely and also that the building directly adjacent to it on the left is also being gutted. Do you have any idea what the building on the left is going to be? I saw the city posted the yellow permitting papers with project numbers on the window recently. 

so sad about Fitzgeralds...wow... but seriously awesome news about the fantastic new venue....

This does seem like a great project, but I will really hate to see the old Fitz's Houston'ed for townhomes or a strip mall or something.

Well reading the article shows that the group that runs FunFunFun Fest is taking over operations and will be remodeling a few things around the venue and knocking down some homes for parking.

remodeling a few things around the venue and knocking down some homes for parking.

They have already torn down the homes for parking and they are remodeling things such as the tower and the old warehouse garage next door.

I was there just a week ago and didn't see anything, is that recent?

Edit; just to be ear, I gathered that the article was referring to the OG Fitz spot, not the new Pegistar location.

Edited by BigFootsSocks

I was there just a week ago and didn't see anything, is that recent?

Edit; just to be ear, I gathered that the article was referring to the OG Fitz spot, not the new Pegistar location.

Oh you're talking about the old location? Yea nothing.

Looks like this will be opening much sooner, perhaps it is solely the indoor part. Someone just shared with me from an app called Bandsintown that Willie Nelson will be playng here Jan 15th, 2016.

• Like 1

This does seem like a great project, but I will really hate to see the old Fitz's Houston'ed for townhomes or a strip mall or something.

Sorry to burst your bubble of negativity, but it has been reported in the ​Houston Business Journal and Houston Chronicle that "Popular Height's music venue Fitzgerald's will undergo renovations that will improve some of the technical and logistical features of the nearly 100-year-old building.  The venue, located at 2706 White Oak Drive, will be completely gutted and renovated once the current tenant leaves.

• Like 4

^Interesting development. The light rail line just isn't quite close enough to the venue to accomodate the light rail crowd. I bet they'll try to get the path to loop past the venue and go to the rail station to give rail riders an easy path - more about that accessibility than the bayou network.

Now just put in a bike share station at the light rail station, one at the new fitz's, 500 more bike share stations throughout central Houston, and bam! genuine alternative to driving

• Like 4

This thing is going up fast. And it turns out this thing is already expanding before it's even finished. 

They have purchased the "candy factory" to the top right of this picture:

n-main-venue-site.jpg

Plan is to turn it into a brewery/bar.

22064484340_cfde2bc777_h.jpg

22226442566_41a0afcc2e_h.jpg

22262998501_63118db048_h.jpg

• Like 9

There is a webcam across the street that is pointing right at this development now.... anyone know where I can find it?

• Like 1

Oh also, they are building a Holiday Inn Express somewhat next to this on N Main. (At the former Casa Grande location). I guess for bands more on a budget to use? Not a bad idea... especially for out of towners.

Hotel confirmed. Signs all around the site for a plat variance.

• Like 6

http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=8337#.Vk35gXarTbg

Shuttle service? Interesting. Makes absolute sense though. Wouldn't be surprised to see it taken a step further. Offer parking at UHD lots beneath the elevated Burnett station, and hop on the train one stop to get up to the venue. Because lets be real, very few will actually walk to this place. 

• Like 5