Sign in to follow this  
downtownian

Hogan-Allnoch Building (Texas and Austin) Demolished for Future Botique Hotel

Nate99    6,336

It's that final dollar that pushed the winner's bid over the edge

The Price is Right style. Nice.

Urbannizer    33,406

Short term? Parking lot. Long term? Boutique Hotel.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/columnists/sarnoff/article/Old-downtown-building-sold-and-demolished-with-6692023.php

Could end up being another Hampton Inn/Embassy Suites scenario whenever it moves forward. Same developer

"We're visiting with several brands, exploring concepts and visiting with our architects to see what we can do there," said Nick Massad Jr., president and CEO of Houston-based American Liberty Hospitality, which owns other downtown hotels and has construction underway on another property nearby.

He said the hotel could perhaps have a restaurant and small deli/grocery on the first floor. It could be a couple of years before construction starts. Until then, the site may be used for parking.

• Like 1

jmitch94    855

Could we as a community possibly petition this developer to hold to a certain level of architecture? I'm not talking about taking them to court but at least saying "hey can you please not build the crap you usually build."   

• Like 1

The Pragmatist    380

Short term? Parking lot. Long term? Boutique Hotel.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/columnists/sarnoff/article/Old-downtown-building-sold-and-demolished-with-6692023.php

Could end up being another Hampton Inn/Embassy Suites scenario whenever it moves forward. Same developer

This news should provide an outsize level of consternation here on HAIF.

cspwal    2,140

It would have been nice if they had kept the facade somehow while it was a parking lot...

H-Town Man    2,298

So according to the article, the block was purchased by Joni Anderson-Ballis, who is doing a ground lease to American Liberty Hospitality. Curiously enough, Joni Anderson-Ballis is also the owner of the Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites land. So she must have some arrangement with ALH.

That name Anderson... I wonder if she is an heiress of Monroe Dunaway Anderson.

bobruss    3,095

No she is married to John Ballis who spent time in prison for savings and loan kickbacks..

Someone posted the story on here somewhere. It's a very thorough history of Ballis, who is good friends

with Akeem Olajuwon, I'm sorry to say.

Isn't this the group that built the embassy suites in Discovery Green also?

• Like 1

cspwal    2,140

If that is the rendering then we should expect this....

I would like to see a hotel that looked like a monopoly piece...but it would have to look good

H-Town Man    2,298

No she is married to John Ballis who spent time in prison for savings and loan kickbacks..

Someone posted the story on here somewhere. It's a very thorough history of Ballis, who is good friends

with Akeem Olajuwon, I'm sorry to say.

Isn't this the group that built the embassy suites in Discovery Green also?

Ok but the article said that he manages her money. So she seems to come from wealth, which made me think Anderson family.

Yes, they built that too but she doesn't seem to own the land there unless it's under an entity name.

cspwal    2,140

Take me down to Stucco city

Where the weather's warm and nothin's pretty

Edited by cspwal
  • Like 4

Nole23    1,386

Awesome! I drive by this site everyday and can't wait to see what is developed here.

• Like 1

pablog    129

Although I agree that this is awful news, a parking garage like the Lyric Center one would not be bad. We will just have to wait to see what the renderings look like. 

Cant believe that building was torn down for that though

Urbannizer    33,406
3 hours ago, Nole23 said:

please tell me this is a joke :wacko:

I wish but no :(

45267137505_c6c648aec2_o.png

H-Town Man    2,298

The Astros could be ground leasing the land from the Ballises to build this. They probably need to make serious moves to preserve parking near the stadium, but there are so many more appropriate sites further north. It would benefit the Astros to have a grand streetscape approaching Minute Maid; why shit in your own pool? I always thought Texas Avenue was kind of a "signature street," or at least was evolving into one, but I guess such a thing is impossible without zoning.

Triton    9,105

Hmmmm... Haven't we been hearing something about the parking lots across 59? One lot is gone to the new expansion. I know it sucks but maybe this parking garage actually makes sense.

swtsig    2,326
1 hour ago, Triton said:

Hmmmm... Haven't we been hearing something about the parking lots across 59? One lot is gone to the new expansion. I know it sucks but maybe this parking garage actually makes sense.

parking garage here absolutely makes sense - a lot of astros lots will be meeting their maker soon, especially when the 59 construction begins. i would think a garage isn't simply a luxury for them at this point but an absolute necessity, especially one on the main thoroughfare leading to the ballpark. curious if this is one of the lots crane owns around MMP or as someone else mentioned if they're ground leasing this. 

although i'd certainly wish we'd start paying more attention to the aesthetic of these structures. they may be a necessary evil but that doesn't mean we shouldn't attempt to make them an interesting part of the streetscape. like why not continue the red brick motif to create a stronger sense of place? it's amazing to me that the developers in this city willingly ignore obvious details like this so routinely.

jmitch94    855
20 hours ago, swtsig said:

although i'd certainly wish we'd start paying more attention to the aesthetic of these structures. they may be a necessary evil but that doesn't mean we shouldn't attempt to make them an interesting part of the streetscape. like why not continue the red brick motif to create a stronger sense of place? it's amazing to me that the developers in this city willingly ignore obvious details like this so routinely.

Oh I'm sure they notice then they notice how much they can save by not using a nice facade. 

swtsig    2,326
1 hour ago, jmitch94 said:

Oh I'm sure they notice then they notice how much they can save by not using a nice facade. 

the price differential to add brick facade, at least just to the Texas Ave facing side and around both southern corners would not be significant. i'm certainly not opposed to being pragmatic about costs but these types of missed opportunities are really inexplicable in situations like this.

H-Town Man    2,298

I am going to hold out hope that this is an interim use until freeway construction is finished and downtown residential market improves. 10 year ground lease to Astros, then tear down and build a high rise. That is my hope.

The typical cheerful throng of pedestrians along Texas Avenue on game day is going to have a lot of cars pushing through them as they enter and exit the garage. There is a reason why the big boy cities do not allow curb cuts on nice pedestrian streets.

Luminare    1,570

More attention was paid to the visuals of the cars flying by on Texas Ave. than the actual design of this garage.

KinkaidAlum    2,258

Two steps forward... getting run over by someone exiting an ugly garage to speed back to the burbs. 

Sparrow    296

If building a garage on one property means getting rid of a parking lot or two on others, I can get behind it.

Frankly, I almost wish the next Downtown initiative would be just that--build about a dozen large parking garages Downtown to reduce the "it's too expensive to park Downtown" barrier. If the empty lots keep making heaps of money by being a surface parking lot, where's the incentive to improve the land?