Holiday Inn Express/Staybridge Suites Hotel At 1319 Texas Ave.

downtownian

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HBJ mentions this hotel will "replace" the existing Holiday Inn Express on Bell St--don't know if that means it will be closing completely or rebranded.

“This is a great location, within walking distance of Minute Maid Park, the George R. Brown Convention Center and Main Street,” Momin said. “There are only a handful of dual-branded hotels downtown, and we will be replacing another Holiday Inn Express on Bell Street that is over 20 years old. So, it’s going to be great for visitors to Houston, who have brand loyalty and are members of our rewards program.”

Dual-branded Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites to break ground in downtown Houston - Houston Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Moore-to-it said:

Did we know about this?

Screenshot_20230824_110258_Instagram.jpg

@Moore-to-it there's a three-page topic for this:

Holiday Inn Express/Staybridge Suites Hotel - 1319 Texas Ave

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/29510-holiday-inn-expressstaybridge-suites-hotel-at-1319-texas-ave/

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I'm so happy it's replacing that hideous suburban one on Bell. Hopefully that one get's bulldozed soon. The addition of a grocery store is huge! 

Bad word choice on HBJ's part--it's 3,000 square feet--the size of a standard 7-11.  Convenience store, not grocery store.  Definitely needed, regardless.

• Like 5

On 8/24/2023 at 4:55 PM, mattyt36 said:

Bad word choice on HBJ's part--it's 3,000 square feet--the size of a standard 7-11.  Convenience store, not grocery store.  Definitely needed, regardless.

I'll take it.  More choice is often better.

I love Phoenicia, but would also like an option that isn't themed on a particular region.  Sometimes you need 19 types of olive oil.  Sometimes you just need toilet paper.

Unfortunately, District Market doesn't cut it.  I went there recently, and for two basic turkey sandwiches and a can of coffee beans, it wants almost $70.  I walked out.

I went back a week later because I needed coffee creamer, and everything else walkable (Phoenicia, CVS, GhettoMart, SuperGhettoMart) was closed.  It turns out the pricing wasn't a fluke.

• 32oz half-and-half (HEB) from HEB: $2.70
  • 32oz half-and-half (Sysco) from District Market: $9.74

Yes, I just looked up my receipt, and $9.74 is not an exaggeration.

I don't mind paying a premium for the convenience of location and the hours District Market keeps, but a 260% difference is not reasonable. 

I guess that's why in two years of walking past, I've only seen maybe six people in that place.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...