Artis Montrose: Multifamily At 3300 Montrose Blvd.

dbigtex56

Found some signs that are confusing as to what this might be. Cherry is almost done talking it down except for the northeast corner and load out. 

Looking at Sun Builders web site shows that they primarily build grocery stores, box stores, banks and interiors.

SEK Yoakum Lovett LLC is a newly created company out of Travis county.

I'm guessing possibly another grocery store and possibly Kroger???

http://www.sunbuildersco.com

https://texas-biz.com/co/sek-yoakum-lovett-llc

gZ5KRa9.jpg

WJqFuZd.jpg

ASZP7GT.jpg

bsyGqi2.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, thatguysly said:

RIP Disco Kroger.

It seems weird to build another Kroger in its spot with an additional element like residential. Its not like there is much room there to build a bigger Kroger and have parking.

Did you mean to type "without" instead of "with"?

On 6/14/2021 at 9:02 AM, thatguysly said:

RIP Disco Kroger.

It seems weird to build another Kroger in its spot with an additional element like residential. Its not like there is much room there to build a bigger Kroger and have parking.

If they incorporate underground and/or podium-style parking (which seems certain), it will result in even more land available to build a larger Kroger with ample parking for both residents and customers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

I feel like the days are numbered for the Walgreens across the street. Anyone know how long it’s been there? I know the CVS further south on Montrose & Richmond has been there since 2005.

Walgreen's was built sometime before 2000, probably mid-1990's. 
I remember, because the Art Institute left some great furniture curbside when their building was demo'd.
(edit: 1994, per HCAD)

Edited by dbigtex56
added info
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, dbigtex56 said:

Walgreen's was built sometime before 2000, probably mid-1990's. 
I remember, because the Art Institute left some great furniture curbside when their building was demo'd.
(edit: 1994, per HCAD)

Wait so the Art Institute was located where the Walgreens is now? I went to the Yorktown location and the 59 location when they moved. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Wait so the Art Institute was located where the Walgreens is now? I went to the Yorktown location and the 59 location when they moved. 

On the same block.
There was a 1950's mid-rise yellow brick office building (known as "The Kwik-Kopy" Building) on the northeast corner of Hawthorne and Montrose, with parking behind. 
Don't recall offhand what occupied the northern half of the block, or what else fronted on Montrose on that side of the street.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I heard they use to be in Montrose back in the day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gene said:

yeah sounds about right as the Soundwaves was a Walgreens before that! 

Yep. That was the neighborhood Walgreens before the newer one was built. It used to be my go-to drugstore when I first moved to Montrose, but tbh I probably spent a lot more time in it after Soundwaves relocated there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

It was originally located on Yoakum at Kipling, in a building that had been an ESL school, where the Annunciation Orthodox School is now.

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

On the same block.
There was a 1950's mid-rise yellow brick office building (known as "The Kwik-Kopy" Building) on the northeast corner of Hawthorne and Montrose, with parking behind. 
Don't recall offhand what occupied the northern half of the block, or what else fronted on Montrose on that side of the street.

Wow any pics? Anyone?

9 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Wow any pics? Anyone?

Haven't found any pics yet but found this mention in The Montrose Voice  (Feb 26, 1982) on page 5 (third paragraph of "Montrose Mouth"):

"The offices of the MONTROSE VOICE will be at 3317 Montrose, third floor, starting next week."
"(The 3317 Montrose Building is across the street from Kroger - the building that houses Kwik Kopy.)"

Edited by dbigtex56
added link
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2021 at 9:25 AM, dbigtex56 said:

Haven't found any pics yet but found this mention in The Montrose Voice  (Feb 26, 1982) on page 5 (third paragraph of "Montrose Mouth"):

"The offices of the MONTROSE VOICE will be at 3317 Montrose, third floor, starting next week."
"(The 3317 Montrose Building is across the street from Kroger - the building that houses Kwik Kopy.)"

I just spent more time than I care to admit paging through that PDF, deep in a Proustian reverie triggered by the sight of a Spud-U-Like ad.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

I just spent more time than I care to admit paging through that PDF, deep in a Proustian reverie triggered by the sight of a Spud-U-Like ad.

I saw the Byman's ad regarding mattresses on page 6, and it was reassuring to know Montrose's heritage as a major mattress retailer hub dates back at least 40 years. That is some real history I can appreciate. 

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

It was interesting that they were still referring to a person with Kaposi's Sarcoma as having "gay cancer". Little did they know what was to come next.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

the #'s ad explains why an old friend still calls it a gay bar 40 years later. 

I go about 2 or 3 times a year, #1 reason is I like the music. Plus is it seems to be a rite of passage for Houstonians of all ages to go there at least once. And the fact that there are straights, gays, lesbians, trans, punks, emos' and they are all there to just enjoy the music, dancing and people watching. I also live about 3 blocks away, walk there then stumble home. I miss the taco truck they had out there for a couple years and the live shows.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

the #'s ad explains why an old friend still calls it a gay bar 40 years later. 

#s was originally called Numbers and "number" in gay slang meant "hot guy" as in "He's a real hot number" or "There's a hunky number over by the bar." Before it was Numbers it was a dinner theater called "Bev's Million Dollar City Dump." 

• Like 6

Extra tidbit about Numbers: The original entrance was out front on Westheimer where the current entrance is, but for a while, you walked back along the west side wall and entered through a back door and onto the stage. That didn't last.

ETA: I spent about half of 1979 at Numbers. Then at the end of '79, Parade Disco opened in the building that is now the Menil's Dan Flavin exhibit on Richmond. I loved Parade because Monday and Tuesday nights were New Wave Nights and they knew what they were doing music-wise.

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Like 5

While at Rice University I talked with a Cherry Demolition supervisor and he said that Southeastern doesn't own the southwest corner of this lot. Southeastern only owns 3/4 of the lot and the corner they don't own won't be developed. Cherry will demo all the concrete/paving except for that corner. Supposedly a person that lives nearby owns that little portion.

xr2sI6J.jpg

4LIv40e.jpg

bndAVZA.png

3AZNHqU.png

PPAUCWf.png

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Luminare said:

@hindesky how on earth was this entire block never replatted? So did the person who owns this other lot previously gave permission many years ago to let Kroger turn their land into part of a parking lot?

Apparently he did, this was the small parking lot area on the southwest corner.

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

Apparently he did, this was the small parking lot area on the southwest corner.

IIRC there were still a few (2 - 4?) houses on this block until the mid-eighties, when they were razed to expand Kroger's parking lot.

• Like 1