Sign in to follow this  
Tejo

Discovery Green

UtterlyUrban    1403
9 hours ago, downtownian said:

I've done two staycations at the Marquis and both times there were tons of kids on the pool deck so I haven't gone back.

You live downtown and you have rented a hotel room at the Marquis for a vacation?

downtownian    365
13 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

You live downtown and you have rented a hotel room at the Marquis for a vacation?

Yes, for the pool. I walked over, had brunch at Xochi and then went to the pool. It would have been worth it if not for the kids. 

• Like 1

H-Town Man    1964

It is baffling and astonishing that a lazy river in the shape of Texas would attract children. Certainly this was intended for a more sophisticated crowd?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

cloud713    3541
2 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

It is baffling and astonishing that a lazy river in the shape of Texas would attract children. Certainly this was intended for a more sophisticated crowd?

Haha, I know right? Though it is a convention hotel..

The issue isn't so much that kids are there. That's to be expected.. the problem is all the terrible parents these days who don't punish their kids or teach them how to behave properly, so you end up with a bunch of kids yelling and screaming as they're running across the podium causing a ruckus, because the parents don't want to be bothered or deal with them while they're sipping their mixed drinks over in a cabana..

I've read multiple reviews talking about the problem with kids being loud and obnoxious on the pool deck.

• Like 3

mollusk    1458

But if they chase the kids off of the pool deck they'll just end up on our lawns... :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

UtterlyUrban    1403

Wow, guys.  I have never cosndered taking a vacation "10 blocks away".  But, I guess it really doesn't matter if the staycation is 10 blocks or 10 miles.  Same concept.  Glad you enjoyed!

• Like 1

From REDNews last month, more changes under consideration for Discovery Green in downtown Houston:

He says the Conservancy is also looking at what changes, if any, are needed to Discovery Green’s four corners. When the park was built, there wasn’t much development across the street. “We need to figure out how to open up those corners into this newly built neighborhood,” says Mandel.

https://issuu.com/rednews/docs/rednews_july_2017_southeast_texas

• Like 2

Nate99    6214

The MM's pool is a more local, small-scale substitute for places like Hyatt Lost-Pines and Hill country resorts, which obnoxious children from the Houston area (and elsewhere) have been assaulting for quite some time.  The price of popularity is having to deal with all of the people.