I-45 Landmarks

NenaE

Can anyone recall when The Blue Oyster Bar finally shut down? We loved that place. The gumbo was delicious and heres more East End trivia.

Dante's almost directly behind it.

Was that always an Italian restaurant or a front for nude waitress's, etc? I had an old friend that either he confused with another place nearby but said around late 1960's he and his wife went to dine there assuming it was a high class ritzy place when the waitress walked up topless! No tassles like in the Elvis movies of the day either! :D

Needless to say his wife stormed out and well guess you can imagine the rest. Dante's was the name right? I think it reopened but clothing is required (I think). :blush:

I think Dante's closed in 2001 and the Blue Oyster Bar in 2003

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Dante's closed in 2001 and the Blue Oyster Bar in 2003

Seems to be in operation now though...as Dante's again?

Seems hard to believe there was once a Drive-In Theater named The Winkler? (where Home Depot now stands). Wow! There is an aerial pic on another topic here on Haif.

• 2 weeks later...
I stand corrected.

Frizzell, on Woodridge was also one of the major AMC/Rambler dealers in town.

Frizzell had a whale logo, Bob Robertson had a rocket. What else was there? I think the peacock was around back then, too.

Frizzell had a whale logo, Bob Robertson had a rocket. What else was there? I think the peacock was around back then, too.

Mike Persia Chevrolet - the little cartoon guy wearing a fez and thumping on a drum.

EDIT: Oops - I don't think Persia was a Gulf Freeway Landmark. Obviously I need to pay closer attention to the topic at hand.

10. Big "Fritos" sign at Lay's factory (@ Griggs) West

I recall riding with my parents in the early 1960s along that stretch fairly often. In the early 1960s the Fritos plant sported a large, multi-colored neon sign of their animated mascot, "The Frito Kid." This was during the heyday of endless Lone Ranger & Roy Rogers re-runs. The figure started going unlit at nights when the company changed their cartoon mascot to the "Frito Bandido."

Mike Persia Chevrolet - the little cartoon guy wearing a fez and thumping on a drum. I don't think Persia was a Gulf Freeway Landmark.

You're right. Mike Persia Chevrolet was in downtown Houston at McKinney and LaBranch. The property is now covered over by the Discovery Green downtown park.

Can anyone recall when The Blue Oyster Bar finally shut down? We loved that place. The gumbo was delicious and heres more East End trivia.

Dante's almost directly behind it.

Was that always an Italian restaurant or a front for nude waitress's, etc? I had an old friend that either he confused with another place nearby but said around late 1960's he and his wife went to dine there assuming it was a high class ritzy place when the waitress walked up topless! No tassles like in the Elvis movies of the day either! :D

Needless to say his wife stormed out and well guess you can imagine the rest. Dante's was the name right? I think it reopened but clothing is required (I think). :blush:

Dante's was originally an Italian restaurant I beleived owned by Dante Pastrini. It was later a Mexican restaurant called Elenas and then back to Dante's.

The place with waitresses dressed in skimpy french maid outfits is a different one, the name escapes me right now but it was in the same vacinity.

Robertson Chevrolet was on the corner of Wayside, it was a white deco building with a big neon clock above the front door. The one with the rocket was McDavid and was the second dealership north of Woodridge, Metro Chrysler Plymouth was on the corner. Also there was Leeland Lincoln Mercury and Bob Marco Buick north of those on the same side. The one with the funny roof where Calhoun became the Gulf Fwy. across from UH was originally a Checker Dealer and then an MG dealer.

joe

Robertson Chevrolet was on the corner of Wayside, it was a white deco building with a big neon clock above the front door. The one with the rocket was McDavid and was the second dealership north of Woodridge, Metro Chrysler Plymouth was on the corner. Also there was Leeland Lincoln Mercury and Bob Marco Buick north of those on the same side. The one with the funny roof where Calhoun became the Gulf Fwy. across from UH was originally a Checker Dealer and then an MG dealer.

joe

Let us not forget Ralph Williams, that fast talking car dealer from California. In the late 60s and early 70s, he had a Chrysler-Plymouth dealership on the same spot where the McDavid dealership now stands. He had dealerships up and down the west coast, and he thought Houston would be easy pickings. He didn't last long. He developed a very bad reputation for lousy service and he was gone by the early 70s.

Check out this video of a gag-commercial his west coast pitch-man made for one of his private parties.

joe

That Chrysler dealership went through many ownership or name changes. In 1968, I remember it being Miles Hall Chrysler/Plymouth. We got one of our cars from there around that time.

Dante's was originally an Italian restaurant I beleived owned by Dante Pastrini. It was later a Mexican restaurant called Elenas and then back to Dante's.

The place with waitresses dressed in skimpy french maid outfits is a different one, the name escapes me right now but it was in the same vacinity.

joe

Thnx for the correction, when typing, I thought it might be the wrong name. Is that Bob Robertson bldg. still standing? I can't place it, but I'm sure I would remember it if I saw it.

There is a whole HAIF topic on that Chequer Imports bldg. w/ pics. When I was little, I used to wonder why the sign was spelled wrong. (European spelling)

link: http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...mp;#entry259303

Thnx for the correction, when typing, I thought it might be the wrong name. Is that Bob Robertson bldg. still standing? I can't place it, but I'm sure I would remember it if I saw it.

There is a whole HAIF topic on that Chequer Imports bldg. w/ pics. When I was little, I used to wonder why the sign was spelled wrong. (European spelling)

link: http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...mp;#entry259303

The Bob Robertson showroom is gone, I forget what is there. The body shop and used car building is still there but has been partially demolished and remodeled and is now a bus station on the corner of Wayside and Telephone.

joe

You're right. Mike Persia Chevrolet was in downtown Houston at McKinney and LaBranch. The property is now covered over by the Discovery Green downtown park.

I go to Discovery Green regularly to walk my dog. Now I probably won't be able to get the Mike Persia jingle out of my head whenever I'm there.

I go to Discovery Green regularly to walk my dog. Now I probably won't be able to get the Mike Persia jingle out of my head whenever I'm there.

"Buy your Chevrolet from Persia....Mike PERSIA Chevrolet!"

It is imposible for anyone living in Houston in the 60's to ever get that jingle out of their head. It is permanently imprinted!

Take it from a 48-year old car buff Bob Marco Buick was along the west side of the Gulf Freeway somewhere between Broad and Woodridge possibly where the Home Depot is now. It was also owned at one time by former Astros player Enos Cabell though I can not remember if it was called Cabell before of after it was Bob Marco. I believe that dealership also sold Peugeots at one time.

Also on that land was a Lincoln-Mercury dealership. It was directly on the corner of the access road and Flowers Street across Flowers from the present Houston Auto Auction which was formerly Bill McDavid Oldsmobile. I don't recall the L-M dealer being named Leeland though. We bought a brand new Mercury Tracer there in 1988 (bad tale for another thread) just before Jack Criswell Lincoln-Mercury closed for good. I understand the owner lost a lot of money in his oil investments and had to close the dealership as a result. It probably was not making much money itself at the time considering that most new car dealers were moving farther out. There was a Leeland Lincoln-Mercury dealership that opened on the North Freeway in the late '70s between West Mount Houston and West Roads on the west side of the freeway. Of that I am certain because my parents lived in the Hidden Valley subdivision right across W. Mt. Houston at the time.

Ivan Frizzell's Pontiac dealership faced Woodridge (it was on the west side roughly where Lowe's is today - ironic that I was just there yesterday) between Winkler and the Gulf Freeway. Later it was an AMC/Jeep dealership but I can't remember the name of it. It seems like it was something Smith and also might have had a different name later.

Ah, Chequer Imports - I've watched over the last several years as the unique roof slowly caved in. I don't believe Checker automobiles were ever sold there. For the longest time, even after it closed, there were signs for the Italian marques Alfa Romeo and Lancia. There was also a sign for the British TVR a very low production (some would say "cottage industry" sports car. Were it that I had that wonderful building (restored, of course) on some property somewhere. I could keep a half dozen of my favorite cars in the service bays and have a nice library filled with all my car books and scale models in that wonderful glass cylinder with the pleated roof.

My mistake, I said Leeland, I meant Crisswell. It became Metro L/M and then became Bayway.

It was still Frizzel when it was Pontiac/Renault/Jeep. Frizzel, Marco and a couple of other dealers closed down after they got entangled in some kind of scandel in the early 80s, odometer rollback, if I remember right.

joe

Didn't they put the Sterling Bank building where Canada Dry used to be?

As far as we knew Canada Dry was just a street back there and is still there.

In case anyone forgot the Valero across the frwy was a Sinclair Gas station and across the street (Dumble) was another gas station I think Mobil was removed around 1971 and replaced with a Circle K then removed for the now Eastwood Transit Ctr concrete arch. What a drag, as we used to always to see the local teen crowds hanging out in the parking lot (can still Springsteens, Baby We were Born To Run). The Circle K was so convenient as you could buy brew and slam down on the way to concerts at the then new Summit. All just a pleasant memory now. ^_^

Didn't they put the Sterling Bank building where Canada Dry used to be?

I don't remember a Canada Dry bldg. in the 1960's. Does anyone else?

I do remember the name Jeff Lynn Sailboats, now that you mention it.

Specwriter, did you see the link I posted above, has the remnants of that sign you talked about. Too bad that bldg is gone (like many others) :angry: . I always noticed it, as a kid.

Were it that I had that wonderful building (restored, of course) on some property somewhere. I could keep a half dozen of my favorite cars in the service bays and have a nice library filled with all my car books and scale models in that wonderful glass cylinder with the pleated roof.

Cars and car books in a restored Googie building! That would be heaven for me too! :D

The old Carousel Motel nearby had a very similar roof.

here's the bldg. that had the neon fox on it...says built 1970, cemetary behind it.

http://www.loopnet.com/property/14727042/6333-Gulf-Freeway/

Another miracle! That building will be there even after an H bomb! :lol:

Grand prize for anyone that can name year built? Still seems like it could be used but hopefully Forest Park Lawndale Cemetary will gobble it up.

I don't remember a Canada Dry bldg. in the 1960's. Does anyone else?

I remember a Canada Dry bottling plant on the south side of a newly completed portion of the Gulf Freeway in the late 1940's. It was just to the west of a newly built, or about to be built, Schlumberger plant. Houston's first Little League ballpark was built in back of the Canada Dry facility about 1948-1949. I don't know if anything was left of it as late as the '60's.

I remember a Canada Dry bottling plant on the south side of a newly completed portion of the Gulf Freeway in the late 1940's. It was just to the west of a newly built, or about to be built, Schlumberger plant. Houston's first Little League ballpark was built in back of the Canada Dry facility about 1948-1949. I don't know if anything was left of it as late as the '60's.

field there in 57 but seems to be gone by 64

http://www.historicaerials.com/?poi=4206

HAIFers are amazing...Thnx for the Canada Dry info. guys.

57tbird, I bet my dad knew about that ballfield, sure he would have played there. Didn't think they would have a st. named that without a business being there, as well.

Gnu, didn't realize you could save shots like that, in the historicaeriels link. In a city where bldgs disappear (in a day, it seems) it's good to have this map source, to have a general idea of when it happened.

Perhaps the Canada Dry business was there when we moved in vicinity in 1968, but we must have never paid attention. That back street warehouse area was always so gloomy and quiet to notice. All you ever saw were delivery trucks headed for that distribution area.

These specific warehouse property/s have always been prime location/visibility for new developement.

It's a miracle its been so overlooked for decades? :mellow::)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived