I-45 Landmarks

NenaE

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OMG, I was about to ask, wasn't there a big US Steel sign somewhere?

Perhaps your thinking of the huge and I do mean HUGE Bethlehem Steel sign or rather it was painted across the huge building over off Navigation?

Wonder if still there? Different topic I guess. :)

I noticed the other day that the huge Coca-Cola Sign (didn't it have light-bulbs?) that sat at Telephone Rd. & Gulf Freeway still has it's frame standing, something else is advertised on it, now. What a pity.

On the Markle sign, it was neon, at night it was lit up with nice colors, and the arm moved up and down.

Perhaps your thinking of the huge and I do mean HUGE Bethlehem Steel sign or rather it was painted across the huge building over off Navigation?

Wonder if still there? Different topic I guess. :)

That might be it! I remember something vertical about it--it was a big sign!

Was that always an Italian restaurant or a front for nude waitress's, etc? I had an old friend that either he confused with another place nearby but said around late 1960's he and his wife went to dine there assuming it was a high class ritzy place when the waitress walked up topless! No tassles like in the Elvis movies of the day either! :D

I finally remembered the name of the place with the scantally clad waitresses. It was called Randalls, and it was just north of where Winkler merges with I45 in a building set back from the feeder.

joe

I noticed the other day that the huge Coca-Cola Sign (didn't it have light-bulbs?) that sat at Telephone Rd. & Gulf Freeway still has it's frame standing, something else is advertised on it, now. What a pity.

Nena,

In topic Past Structures of East End we went into lenghty detail about the CC sign.

Here's a funny story, around 1980 I bought my 1st Bell & Howell 88mm from Sears I think then my little sis & me jumped in the car & just drove all over Houston filming anything of interest. We got a good "moving" image of the Coca Cola sign with its bright twinkling display. Check this out, when I was in Mexico City's historic district in 8/2008 from my 16 floor Sheraton Hotel window I thought I saw a ghost from the past. There in the near distance about 1/2 mile was a very similar dazzling CC sign. It was like going back in time! It was on 24/7 and was amazing as dark came. :D

Houston really fkd it up again! :angry:

Nena,

In topic Past Structures of East End we went into lenghty detail about the CC sign.

Here's a funny story, around 1980 I bought my 1st Bell & Howell 88mm from Sears I think then my little sis & me jumped in the car & just drove all over Houston filming anything of interest. We got a good "moving" image of the Coca Cola sign with its bright twinkling display. Check this out, when I was in Mexico City's historic district in 8/2008 from my 16 floor Sheraton Hotel window I thought I saw a ghost from the past. There in the near distance about 1/2 mile was a very similar dazzling CC sign. It was like going back in time! It was on 24/7 and was amazing as dark came. :D

Houston really fkd it up again! :angry:

Somewhere, on one of my many internet searches, I ran across a b/w pic of that Houston Coca-cola sign.

Other old cities seem to keep more of their old relics, even if they are advertising signs. I miss all the nice old neon signs, the most.

Didn't you post a Sears store, once, that was also located in Mexico City? It was Art Deco style, was really nice.

Somewhere, on one of my many internet searches, I ran across a b/w pic of that Houston Coca-cola sign.

Other old cities seem to keep more of their old relics, even if they are advertising signs. I miss all the nice old neon signs, the most.

Didn't you post a Sears store, once, that was also located in Mexico City? It was Art Deco style, was really nice.

Sure did.

I think that Sears store is under Sears South Main topic. I was stunned or intrigued when I stumbled upon it. That one is near or across the street from some famous museum in that Central Historic District of Mx City. I recall it was so crowded it seemed like Holiday season here but even more packed. You reall felt like you were in NYC! I did notice it still had many original art deco chandeliers/sconces/brass rails etc. It was like a Sears museum but everything like the apparel was very modern. Do a Google under Mx City Sears and there it is! :rolleyes:

Is that tall yellow oil derick still on the gulf frwy? It was on the inbound side right after Howard Johnsons and before Oshmans Warehouse very close to Wayside. I remember it from back in the sixties. I think it was advertisement for the office complex that was built there. Lots of identical little white office buildings. It had a name but I can't recall. Maybe something like Office City.

Is that tall yellow oil derick still on the gulf frwy? It was on the inbound side right after Howard Johnsons and before Oshmans Warehouse very close to Wayside. I remember it from back in the sixties. I think it was advertisement for the office complex that was built there. Lots of identical little white office buildings. It had a name but I can't recall. Maybe something like Office City.

Bingo Susan! You win the grand prize! Ding, ding, ding!

Office City was the name of that vast complex and features a most unusual after hours cocktail lounge on the side street facing Oshman's. The club was also called the Office City Club. We used to sneak into the club with an older person/teen & always got away with it. :blush: The crowd was that 50's, 60'ish cocktail lounging rat pack sort. You know with the martini in one hand and cig hanging off the lip. Women in beehive doo's. Quite neato but dated for the 70's but still cool. My older bro's best friends mom worked in that complex for ages. As the years progressed & most (if not all) orginal East Enders fled for the burb's the office complex was loosing tenants left & right and eventually "sold out" to cheap renters/leasing tenants and eventually AAMA opened that place next door the apts behind became a haven for dope pushers, etc.

The fact that Howard Johnson's next door "sold out" and the clientele went to pot didn't help matters much. Bottom line best to remember all of this area the way it was. Its all a dive especially the low down lounges/cantinas that lurk ever so near. Is it too early for a drink? :lol:

And one road around Office City was an original entrance road leading into the subdivision of Idylwood. Saw it on the Sanborn maps a while back. It feeds into Sylvan. Must be the one those old apts. are on.

And one road around Office City was an original entrance road leading into the subdivision of Idylwood. Saw it on the Sanborn maps a while back. It feeds into Sylvan. Must be the one those old apts. are on.

Wow you are hitting all 6 cylinders! :D

More mind jogging memory for you (actually I should create an East End trivia forum)

That very street you describe that went along Oshman's WHouse & Office City had a 7 Eleven store that became a U-Tote-em store in the 70's. VERY CONVENIENT for the time. Because the neighbors were still civilized then. Those now crappy apts only permitted (Yes people there was a time) single and or couples with 1 child to live there.

As you proceeded into Idylwood it was like Dorothy walking into Technicolor Oz. Stepping into Idlywood was like a Beverly Hills within Houston. Yes people it was very eclectic (pardon the term). Now Idlywoodians continue to battle the elements and everyone applauds them. I truly sympathize.

In mid 80's there was NO CHOICE but to erect a concrete wall mostly in part to the vermin that infiltrated those ratty apts. So, activists :angry: or so called activists said it was inhumane (to dope dealers/prostitutes) so the Idlywood Civic group were "forced" to cave in and remove it. Sound familiar?

Hence the battles or rather war games began in our once lovable East End or at least Near East End. It has been hell ever since. Oops I strayed from topic sorry readers.

Heres a good thing, the row of mailboxes right nest to Office City are still there! Guess that qualifies as a Gulf Frwy Landmark. :lol:

A little bit of information I found while searching for more information about Chequer Imports - Jay H. Cohen (of Wilshire Village fame) owns that property. Surprise! :rolleyes:

edit - and owes back taxes on it

A little bit of information I found while searching for more information about Chequer Imports - Jay H. Cohen (of Wilshire Village fame) owns that property. Surprise! :rolleyes:

edit - and owes back taxes on it

Obviously, not a person who appreciates history or architecture. Owes taxes, why am I not surprised.

We may have briefly mentioned that When the Prince's Drive in next door was there at Cullen & 45 directly across the frwy on the left of the U of H obelisks entrance once stood a Exxon Gas Station. It was built circa 1981 and was a mere 4-5 yrs old when removed :angry: It was very convenient for those of us living around Eastwood Transit Center (which was not there at the time) just a field of green grass.

Here are more very visible Gulf frwy landmarks that could at least be see n in this immediate area of 45 were the rows of numerous fast food eateries that lined the entrance into U of H main campus ie; Burger King, Wendy's, Pizza Inn (yummmm) we used to invade that one all the time) Those are the main ones that come to mind. There were also many more beautiful homes right across the street from them. Apparently removed to widen the entry way to the campus. -_- Many of these same homes proudly displayed the fraternity banners above door ways or on balconies.

• 1 year later...

Mike Persia Chevrolet - the little cartoon guy wearing a fez and thumping on a drum.

EDIT: Oops - I don't think Persia was a Gulf Freeway Landmark. Obviously I need to pay closer attention to the topic at hand.

It was Joe Conti Chevrolet that had the guy thumping on a drum, it was really cheap animation, it was a guy tilting left and right to look like he was thumping a bongo, the jingle went, "Joe Conti Chevrolet, Joe Conti Chevrolet, Joe Conti Chevrolet..." I remember that one. That was the one off Woodridge

It was Joe Conti Chevrolet that had the guy thumping on a drum, it was really cheap animation, it was a guy tilting left and right to look like he was thumping a bongo, the jingle went, "Joe Conti Chevrolet, Joe Conti Chevrolet, Joe Conti Chevrolet..." I remember that one. That was the one off Woodridge

I remember when Mike Persia was on North Main between the tunnel and Quitman, on the west side of the street IIRC. The mascot was a little guy on a carpet sitting cross legged with what I thought was a bongo type drum. High school friend bought her Impala SS there in '63.

Conti 'borrowed' the Persia jingle in the 70's... I remember those commercials from watching Houston Wrestling (another sponsor... llama Mr Norman!)

The Chequer import place sold Lancias and TVR... One marque was Italian, the other British, both came pre-rusted for your convenience!

A Lancia fan buddy of mine wants the Lancia signs if the ever come down, but, Ike damaged both of them...

I remember when Mike Persia was on North Main between the tunnel and Quitman, on the west side of the street IIRC. The mascot was a little guy on a carpet sitting cross legged with what I thought was a bongo type drum. High school friend bought her Impala SS there in '63.

If one looked closely on the dealer's emblem he would see "Joe Conti's Mike Persia Chevrolet." Was Mike Persia a real person? Apparently, Joe Conti is (or was). "By your Chevrolet from Persia, Mike Persia Chevrolet."

That's kind of lame compared to what Tommie Vaughn Ford's theme was: "He's got the cars and he's got the price. He's got the folks who will treat you nice. Tommieee Vaughn, Tommieee Vaughn." I believe there was a second verse too and possibly a third.

• 10 months later...

Didn't they put the Sterling Bank building where Canada Dry used to be?

No, the Canada Dry was a block south. Behind it was the Canada Dry Ball field. I played there my 1st year of ball in East End Little League. I lived just across the freeway (2blocks) in Braoadmor subdivision on Scharpe St. The next year the league moved to Ripley House field on Lovejoy, then the third year to the old CYO field on Dumble just across the side street from Austin H.S. I think the school took it over but I am not sure?

• The title was changed to I-45 Landmarks

Archived