I-45 Landmarks

NenaE

A recent post by mwest prompted me to list all the things that caught my eye on the Gulf Frwy, when I was a kid in the 1960's.

Listed from downtown, heading south on I-45...many would have been bright neon signs.

1. Baby Giant convenience store w/ neon red dynomite sticks sign (technically below the Pierce Elevated, near St. Joseph's Hospital), but very near the Gulf Frwy. (East)

2. Markle Steel Co. (grey bldg. with neon worker sign that moved) East

3. A Taxidermy business (2 story bldg., had a upright, white polar bear in a large picture window) West

3b. what remained of Prince's Drive-In (sign & bldg. frame, all that was left, rt. after Fingers) East

4. European import auto business. (round bldg, googie roof, rt. after Fingers, after Princes) East

5. A colored tile bldg (1-story, orange, turquoise, yellow tiles, '60's style, maybe an architect or drafting office, X from Shlumberger) East (edit correction)

6. Shlumberger Bldg. (West)

7. Coca-cola sign (w/ light bulbs, large, iron frame) East

8. Helena Motel (huge glass windows) West

9. Holiday Inn (nice neon sign w/ sparkle star thing at top) East

10. Big "Fritos" sign at Lay's factory (@ Griggs) West

11. Car Dealership (Bob Robertson? w/ neon rocket sign) West

12. Dot's Coffee Shop (Googie style) West

13. Gulfgate sign (turquoise & pink, w/ umbrella) West

14. Peppermint Park (not technically on frwy, but you could see the red-striped roof, at Gulfgate) West

15. Carousel Hotel (again, not on Frwy, but close, glass windows, googie-style, Gulfgate area, w/ carousel sign) West

16. Sailboat shop (at Park Place, in a Cape Cod style house) East

17. Beauty Shop (Blue tile, x from sailboats) West

18. Wedding Chapel (rt. before Bellfort) West

19. Taj Mahal Indian Restaurant (white strip bldg, at Bellfort) West

20. Car Wash (at Howard/ Bellfort, 60's style, w/ spanish lantern decorations at top) East

21. Sage store (round 60's googie canopy walkway @ monroe & winkler) East

22. Motel (name? was like the Blue Top on Telephone Rd, nice neon sign, little hut houses, rt. before Almeda Mall) East (edit correction from west)

Keep in mind, these are from the personal recollection, so they may be a little out-of-order. Anyone remember these, or have others they remember from the groovy 60's? :)

Reason for edit: added Princes (#3b) (Sorry Vertigo)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ok...I'm going nuts looking for this "coca cola" sign..Someone mentioned after ike it appeared more visible..>Where is it?!

Would have been where Telephone meets Gulf Frwy, northeast side, sat on a pie shaped corner, there is a church slightly to the East of it. I can't recall if it's still standing, but must be, from what you have said. I would guess the large rusty frame is the only thing still there. Can someone verify? I believe it sat rt. after that small shortcut street that leads to the frwy feeder (see yahoo map).

Side note: there is a Canada Dry street close by, west side of frwy. I think I saw a reference to a (long gone) factory at that location on an old map. Wonder what happened to the bldg.

"5. A colored tile bldg (1-story, orange, turquoise, yellow tiles, '60's style, maybe an architect or drafting office, X from Shlumberger) West"

The 1-story orange and turquoise sounds like a Howard Johnson's -- but that was on the east side of the freeway. And I don't remember that having yellow tiles, so you may be remembering something else.

"11. Car Dealership (Bob Robertson? w/ neon rocket sign) West"

Sounds like Bill McDavid Oldsmobile -- remember the ad "Bill McDavid, exit 7, Gulf Freeway"?

"5. A colored tile bldg (1-story, orange, turquoise, yellow tiles, '60's style, maybe an architect or drafting office, X from Shlumberger) West"

The 1-story orange and turquoise sounds like a Howard Johnson's -- but that was on the east side of the freeway. And I don't remember that having yellow tiles, so you may be remembering something else.

Sounds like Bill McDavid Oldsmobile -- remember the ad "Bill McDavid, exit 7, Gulf Freeway"?

Oops, that should say east, not west, sorry. H.Johnson is further down the list. This bldg is still there, it's some kind of office.

Oh, yeah, that was Bill McDavid, thanks.

This was a guy in a hardhat standing on an I-Beam that was being hoisted by a crane. The movement was his arm signaling to the crane operator to lift the beam. It was a neon sign. Later they just painted the guy on the building, but it wasn't the same.

3. A Taxidermy business (2 story bldg., had a upright, white polar bear in a large picture window) West

This was not a taxidermy business, although I can understand why you would think that. It was Glenn Slade's Sporting Goods. Glenn was a big time old fashioned Great White Hunter type, and all those taxidermied animals in the window and inside the store came from his hunting trips. The store sold guns and ammo, archery equipment, fishing equipment, binoculars, etc. I think the store was knocked down when they expanded the Gulf Freeway.

3b. what remained of Prince's Drive-In (sign & bldg. frame, all that was left, rt. after Fingers) East

In the sixties Prince's Drive in would have still been open. I remember when Buff Stadium was still where Fingers is now. Alas, Fingers is now also gone.

5. A colored tile bldg (1-story, orange, turquoise, yellow tiles, '60's style, maybe an architect or drafting office, X from Shlumberger) West

Color Tile was the name of the business

This was at Wayside. Some of the buildings are still there

10. Big "Fritos" sign at Lay's factory (@ Griggs)

I grew up smelling those Fritos being made.

Harmony Wedding Chapel

I don't think this was there until the 80s

I also remember an Old Crow whiskey sign close to town that had a 3-D crow wearing a tux and top hat that used to creep me out as a young child. There was also the electronic sign that counted up the population of Houston until it reached 1 million.

This was a guy in a hardhat standing on an I-Beam that was being hoisted by a crane. The movement was his arm signaling to the crane operator to lift the beam. It was a neon sign. Later they just painted the guy on the building, but it wasn't the same.

This was not a taxidermy business, although I can understand why you would think that. It was Glenn Slade's Sporting Goods. Glenn was a big time old fashioned Great White Hunter type, and all those taxidermied animals in the window and inside the store came from his hunting trips. The store sold guns and ammo, archery equipment, fishing equipment, binoculars, etc. I thnk the store was knocked down when the expanded they Gulf Freeway.

In the sixties Prince's Drive in would have still been open. I remember when Buff Stadium was still where Fingers is now. Alas, Fingers is now also gone.

5. A colored tile bldg (1-story, orange, turquoise, yellow tiles, '60's style, maybe an architect or drafting office, X from Shlumberger) West

Color Tile was the name of the business

This was at Wayside. Some of the buildings are still there

10. Big "Fritos" sign at Lay's factory (@ Griggs)

I grew up smelling those Fritos being made.

Harmony Wedding Chappel

19. Taj Mahel Indian Restaurant (white strip bldg, at Bellfort) West

I don't think this was there until the 80s

I also remember an Old Crow sign close to town that had a 3-D crow wearing a tux and top hat that used to creep me out as a young child. There was also the electronic sign that counted up the population of Houston until it reached 1 million.

That's interesting hearing what everyone else remembers. Gnu,you are right about that sporting goods, Slade name sounds very familiar now, thanks for mentioning that. I may be thinking of Princes at a later time, I mainly remember the sign. The colored tiles were inserts in a brick bldg, wasn't a tile store, was an office, on the East side, near the underpass by UH (it's close to a bldg. called the American Brahman Breeders' Association, at 4815 Gulf Frwy, listed in the AIA Houston Guide, 1st book). I probably didn't describe that one properly, sorry. I remember the Indian Restaurant early on, always intrigued me. The crow sign I vaguely remember. and the motel was the Twin W, mentioned before on HAIF.

The Bob Robertson Chevrolet dealership was on the inbound side of the Fwy at Telephone Rd, on the northwest corner.

Bill McDavid's dealership was outbound at Woodridge, on the same corner where a Ralph Williams car dealership once stood in the late 60s.

Does anybody remember that big S.E. Teaff appliance store right next door to Bob Robertson? I can still hear that commercial jingle sung by Joyce Webb: "When you think of stereo, think of S.E. Teaff. That's T-E-A-F-F." For you newcomers, it was pronounced "Taff."

That sailboat place inbound between Park Place and the South Loop was and still is Lynn's Sailboats. It was opened and owned for a good many years by the late Bert Lynn, who also owned Lynn's Music Shop on Telephone at Park Place, and, who was also Uncle Bert Lynn on KPRC TV's Looney Town in the mid 50s. That was an afternoon kid show a lot like the show Kitirik did on channel 13.

I don't remember when the Taj Mahal opened, but I know it was there in the 80s. I also remember a fitness joint in that strip center. Slenderbolic or President's First Lady, not sure which.

Slenderbolic, wow, forgot about that name. Think it was that name first, before President's. It may be that I just remember that white bldg. those businesses were in... always caught my eye, know it's been there for many years. One "inter-net" source sayed Taj Mahal has been there "since 1978". Was surprised, thought it was much older than that.

I know I have seen that coke sign in a b/w photo before, but can't seem to find it now. <_<

The Bob Robertson Chevrolet dealership was on the inbound side of the Fwy at Telephone Rd, on the northwest corner.

Bill McDavid's dealership was outbound at Woodridge, on the same corner where a Ralph Williams car dealership once stood in the late 60s.

Does anybody remember that big S.E. Teaff appliance store right next door to Bob Robertson? I can still hear that commercial jingle sung by Joyce Webb: "When you think of stereo, think of S.E. Teaff. That's T-E-A-F-F." For you newcomers, it was pronounced "Taff."

That sailboat place inbound between Park Place and the South Loop was and still is Lynn's Sailboats. It was opened and owned for a good many years by the late Bert Lynn, who also owned Lynn's Music Shop on Telephone at Park Place, and, who was also Uncle Bert Lynn on KPRC TV's Looney Town in the mid 50s. That was an afternoon kid show a lot like the show Kitirik did on channel 13.

I am remembering the Chevrolet dealership being on the outside feeder near Queen of Peace Catholic Church. A Ford dealership was on the inbound side at Telephone. (And I'm thinking it wasn't Robertson Cheverolet, for wasn't Robertson on the SW Freeway at Hilcroft? The Ford dealer was Jim Sander's, I think?

Further out, does anyone remember the Breezeway Lounge. The bottom of the lake in front Joe's Crab Shack is the Breezeway's parking lot.

And BTW FS, I'm singging that stupid song in my head now. Thank's alot!

One of the big dealerships near Gulfgate was Frizzels Pontiac. "You'll get a whale of a deal at Frizzels"

The Breezeway has come up before - check the "Other Houston Neighborhoods" section. I remember it well! That was my neck of the woods for many years.

One of the big dealerships near Gulfgate was Frizzels Pontiac. "You'll get a whale of a deal at Frizzels"

Plumber may be right about those car dealerships. I had forgotten that Jim Sanders Ford was also there at Telephone Rd.

Frizzell Pontiac was on Woodridge, directly behind Gulfgate, near the intersection of the S. Loop Feeder Rd.

I made the mistake of buying a car from them. It was an AMC Gremlin. Worst car I ever had.

Wasn't there another dodgy looking motel right by the bayou on the northbound side before you got to Park Place?

I can't place that one, need more details. There was one across from the chapel, south side of bayou, nothing special about it, 60's colonial style. Not standing, now.

I especially remember the little Twin W motor hotel for it's large neon sign out front, was very nice, a man w/ luggage in his hand. Gave the illusion of motion, walking maybe. (I'm trying to remember correctly). May be wrong. It's talked about on another recent thread, probably in the East End category.

A recent post by mwest prompted me to list all the things that caught my eye on the Gulf Frwy, when I was a kid in the 1960's.

Listed from downtown, heading south on I-45...many would have been bright neon signs.

1. Baby Giant convenience store w/ neon red dynomite sticks sign (technically below the Pierce Elevated, near St. Joseph's Hospital), but very near the Gulf Frwy. (East)

4. European import auto business. (round bldg, googie roof, rt. after Fingers, after Princes) East

5. A colored tile bldg (1-story, orange, turquoise, yellow tiles, '60's style, maybe an architect or drafting office, X from Shlumberger) East (edit correction)

6. Shlumberger Bldg. (West)

7. Coca-cola sign (w/ light bulbs, large, iron frame) East

9. Holiday Inn (nice neon sign w/ sparkle star thing at top) East

10. Big "Fritos" sign at Lay's factory (@ Griggs) West

11. Car Dealership (Bob Robertson? w/ neon rocket sign) West

12. Dot's Coffee Shop (Googie style) West

13. Gulfgate sign (turquoise & pink, w/ umbrella) West

14. Peppermint Park (not technically on frwy, but you could see the red-striped roof, at Gulfgate) West

15. Carousel Hotel (again, not on Frwy, but close, glass windows, googie-style, Gulfgate area, w/ carousel sign) West

16. Sailboat shop (at Park Place, in a Cape Cod style house) East

17. Beauty Shop (Blue tile, x from sailboats) West

20. Car Wash (at Howard/ Bellfort, 60's style, w/ spanish lantern decorations at top) East

21. Sage store (round 60's googie canopy walkway @ monroe & winkler) East

22. Motel (name? was like the Blue Top on Telephone Rd, nice neon sign, little hut houses, rt. before Almeda Mall) East (edit correction from west)

Keep in mind, these are from the personal recollection, so they may be a little out-of-order. Anyone remember these, or have others they remember from the groovy 60's? :)

Reason for edit: added Princes (#3b) (Sorry Vertigo)

I think Peppermint Park and Carousel Motel were on Reveille Street.

Slenderbolic, wow, forgot about that name.

Its a miracle no one has ever mentioned Slenderbolic! on Haif at least not that I am aware. :lol:

Our neighbor across the street Mrs Engbrock always was going there but never seemed to lose any weight. That all we ever heard was Slenderbolic! Talk about jogging the old memory banks! Ja!

Its a miracle no one has ever mentioned Slenderbolic! on Haif at least not that I am aware. :lol:

Our neighbor across the street Mrs Engbrock always was going there but never seemed to lose any weight. That all we ever heard was Slenderbolic! Talk about jogging the old memory banks! Ja!

Remember those conveyer belt/ treadmill machines w/ that belt that just jiggled everything around? :lol: Or the stationary bike with handlebars that moved? :lol:

I know, I'm getting off topic.

I can't place that one, need more details. There was one across from the chapel, south side of bayou, nothing special about it, 60's colonial style. Not standing, now.

I especially remember the little Twin W motor hotel for it's large neon sign out front, was very nice, a man w/ luggage in his hand. Gave the illusion of motion, walking maybe. (I'm trying to remember correctly). May be wrong. It's talked about on another recent thread, probably in the East End category.

I think that is what I was thinking about. There was a neon sign of a man with a suitcase.

Twin W was on the east side of 45 right before Almeda. I also remember the Baldwin Beauty School which was on the West side of 45 at McHenry. It was in a building with the Big Bonus Stamp redemption center. I spent many an afternoon waiting around that place while my Mother got her hair done. The other thing I remember was that at the corner of Woodridge and 45 on the east side was the original Luthern High School. At some point it sold that land and moved down the street to it's current location at the corner of 610 and 45. I lived right off of Broad and Telephone from the time I was 5 till I graduated from U of H so I remember the Frito Bandito sign at the Lays place well too.

Another long time fixture in that area would have to be Bonnie's Beef and Barrel. Although the name may have changed at some point its been there since the early seventies. Also the Pappa's Little Seafood House which in a prior life was a Steak and Ale. It changed to a Mexican resturant for a while that kind of mirrored a Taco Cabana as it had a drive through and the same type offerings. I think it was Pappa's version of a Taco Cabana that did not catch on. It then became what it is today.

Not really 60's , but remember the huge billboard at the Park Place intersection advertising Gilley's in the mid-70's ? You could stare at Mickey Gilley's face while you sat in one of those awful Gulf Freeway traffic jams from that Seventies boom period !

Twin W was on the east side of 45 right before Almeda.

Wow. Just thinking about the old Twin W Motel brings back memories.

For the longest time, the Twin W was one of those places known as "hot sheet" motels. It was "THE" place to go for a quickie.

Hookers and their "johns" could get a room for an hourly rate, usually with a minimum of 2 or 3 hours.

It was also frequented by countless couples from that end of town -- married but fooling around on the side -- going in for a "nooner" or a "matinee." Lord only knows how many of today's southeast side 20 and 30 somethings were conceived at the Twin W.

I am remembering the Chevrolet dealership being on the outside feeder near Queen of Peace Catholic Church. A Ford dealership was on the inbound side at Telephone. (And I'm thinking it wasn't Robertson Cheverolet, for wasn't Robertson on the SW Freeway at Hilcroft? The Ford dealer was Jim Sander's, I think?

The Chevy dealership on 59 @ Hillcroft was Richardson, later Cal Worthington.

I remembered a few more landmarks on that drive:

Bruce Bristol Motorcycles - There was an old motorcycle up on the sign pole in front of the business. This was on the inbound side of the freeway between Telephone and Dumble

Mack Trucks - Close to Telephone on the outbound side past Schlumberger

Can anyone recall when The Blue Oyster Bar finally shut down? We loved that place. The gumbo was delicious and heres more East End trivia.

Dante's almost directly behind it.

Was that always an Italian restaurant or a front for nude waitress's, etc? I had an old friend that either he confused with another place nearby but said around late 1960's he and his wife went to dine there assuming it was a high class ritzy place when the waitress walked up topless! No tassles like in the Elvis movies of the day either! :D

Needless to say his wife stormed out and well guess you can imagine the rest. Dante's was the name right? I think it reopened but clothing is required (I think). :blush:

I remembered a few more landmarks on that drive:

Bruce Bristol Motorcycles - There was an old motorcycle up on the sign pole in front of the business. This was on the inbound side of the freeway between Telephone and Dumble

Mack Trucks - Close to Telephone on the outbound side past Schlumberger

I remember the Mack trucks w/ bulldog logo, now that you mention it, and the International Harvester business at Bellfort & the freeway. I thought as a kid how strange, those trucks/ jeeps had the "HI" word on them. :lol:

I remember those restaurants a little later, 1970's maybe, Vertigo. I do remember there was a gas station on the corner of Winkler & Gulf Frwy, later turned into a car storage lot, with a big chain link fence. It was by the golf course. There is also one by the cemetary, close to where that Fox Photo bldg. was, w/ running neon orange or red fox sign.

Those gas stations had those neat bent long lights out front. I think one is a dirt/ landscape place now.

Archived