The Mercer Houston At 3388 Sage Rd.

Guest KOKON Steel

Yeah, I've seen that building (you're talking the one right behind the CVS and across from Chipotle) at Richmond. It is hideous and I've often thought it was too skinny for it's height. But more importantly, what are the condos in it like? They seem, just from looking at it, that they'd be too small...?

Not at all. The condos are quite large. There are, at most, 2 condos on each floor. The upper floors have one condo per floor.

24485229.jpg

28808257.jpg

Even after a few years, I still cringe when I see that building. There should be a citywide contest on suggestions of how to make the highly visible backside more appealing to the eye.

I have to also say I was disappointed to learn the new Highrise condo project in Clear Lake would have a similar but slightly altered tunnel type backside design facing the highly visible Nasa Parkway. I then learned the same people who did the Mercer were responsible for the Endeavor and it all made sense.

It's such a shame such designs can so easily be approved. It is also such a shame that the Uptown skyline has been so horribly scarred all in the name of cutting corners by using the tunnel design. The Mercer design is a example of the negative side of embracing doing things "on the cheap".

Edited by VelvetJ

I agree with HtownWxBoy - the northern facade is not bad, although "love" is a strong word -- more stylized glass on the North side might have led to love!

If the width of the floor-plan had been doubled, the current plan could have been mirrored on the southern side, placing the services (elevators, stairs, etc) in the center -- see the picture of a typical floorplan unitb.pdf there's nothing but services on the south side. The northern facade could then have been mirrored to the southern, eliminating the current hideous southern exposure (although then they would have had the east and west to deal with!). The doubling of mass would have also reduced the slither effect which is magnified by the fact there are no tall buildings around it -- would have looked more like the Montebello and Villa D'Este in Uptown Park, or the Four Leaf Towers on San Felipe.

What I've generally seen in most cities when a building is designed with a full facade employing minimal windows is that the architects are anticipating a structure of comparable height in that direction, so why put anything but service windows (in stairways, halls, etc.) which ultimately won't have any view. I originally thought with the talk of a twin tower, that this is exactly what was going to be done. The second tower would be due south of the current one, and it would have the attractive facade facing south, and the blank one facing north toward the original building. That's giving these hack architects too much credit though -- I've seen architectural drawings with the new building to the east, so now you get double the monstrosity. One can only hope that this thing(s) are torn down in 10 or 20 years! :wacko:

I don't know what drove the decision to go skinny, but the rationale for the almost windowless southern facade was energy efficiency, which certainly makes sense in Houston. I like the idea of designing buildings with a view to the local environment, such as by limiting windows and including mechanisms for shade such as in several downtown buildings (eg Exxon). That said, that facade on the Mercer could certainly have been handled better, perhaps with a different facing material or patterning in the wall.

• 1 year later...
And when and where are they building #2?

Well it's either a blessing or a tragedy, the second "stained urinal" will no longer rise. The second condo tower is officially cancelled. WaMu bought the empty lot next to the existing tower and is building a typical bank. They already broke ground.

Well it's either a blessing or a tragedy, the second "stained urinal" will no longer rise. The second condo tower is officially cancelled. WaMu bought the empty lot next to the existing tower and is building a typical bank. They already broke ground.

I think they should paint the sides and back to look like white puffy clouds with a blue sky on a sunny day. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Oh wait...that might make a flight hazzard, huh? :lol:

Well it's either a blessing or a tragedy, the second "stained urinal" will no longer rise.
I think they should paint the sides and back to look like white puffy clouds with a blue sky on a sunny day. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Oh wait...that might make a flight hazzard, huh? :lol:

Carrying thorough with the 'stained urinal' theme, maybe a giant sign?

NOTICE:

EMPLOYEES MUST WASH HANDS

BEFORE RETURNING TO WORK

Figures... The Mercer is blasphemous. Of course a bank in this spot isn't that much better, but at least it's not sticking up 300' plus.

Edit: I wonder if the possible lack of sales have much to do with the cancelation of the second tower.

Edited by Gary

Figures... The Mercer is blasphemous. Of course a bank in this spot isn't that much better, but at least it's not sticking up 300' plus.

Edit: I wonder if the possible lack of sales have much to do with the cancelation of the second tower.

Absolutely, and I am sure the bad press regarding the design was part of it. It was SO freaking skinny. They parking garage should have been part of the building, like the Cosmopolitan. Having them as two seperate structures and making it SO skinny was a bad design choice.

Ugly, but a twin would have at least balanced the ugliness better, if you get it.

Two skinny "ugly's" would at least looked planned, by itself, it really stands out as a mistake.

Poor uptown. :lol:

Ugly, but a twin would have at least balanced the ugliness better, if you get it.

Two skinny "ugly's" would at least looked planned, by itself, it really stands out as a mistake.

Poor uptown. :lol:

Had the original concept been implemented it probably wouldn't look that bad. It would have at least covered up that storage building look on the backside.

I know i shouldn't, but I really take that building as an insult to Houston. It's the worst modern building I've ever seen, in any city.

Edit: just felt like writing "edit".

Edited by Gary

Had the original concept been implemented it probably wouldn't look that bad. It would have at least covered up that storage building look on the backside.

I know i shouldn't, but I really take that building as an insult to Houston. It's the worst modern building I've ever seen, in any city.

No need, I doubt you'd find anyone in Houston that thinks that building looks good. I know I whine and complain about low density projects, especially strip centers. But regardless of how tall this condo is, this one is butt ugly, the project stinks, and really, whether it was 4 or 2, they really should have just built them all for symmetry. The condo tower looks ugly, and looks even more so by itself.

Shame on the developers for not doing their homework and scaring the skyline with such an atrocity.

:rolleyes: Stained urinal indeed.

Edited by Pumapayam

No need, I doubt you'd find anyone in Houston that thinks that building looks good. I know I whine and complain about low density projects, especially strip centers. But regardless of how tall this condo is, this one is butt ugly, the project stinks, and really, whether it was 4 or 2, they really should have just built them all for symmetry. The condo tower looks ugly, and looks even more so by itself.

Shame on the developers for not doing their homework and scaring the skyline with such an atrocity.

:rolleyes: Stained urinal indeed.

I just don't like that style of architecture...not sure what you guys call it -- but all these crap buildings with the curved rooftops with pastel colors and chrome is just going to scream "late 1990's, early 2000's" in a few years.

I see it in schools, skyscrapers...lofts...you name it. Well, I'll name it: UGLY.

There's nothing timeless or aesthetically appealing about this style. It's butt-ugly. And I don't know what possesses these architects to copy each other and reuse this style over and over in this city.

It's gross!

Edited by Disastro

I just don't like that style of architecture...not sure what you guys call it -- but all these crap buildings with the curved rooftops with pastel colors and chrome is just going to scream "late 1990's, early 2000's" in a few years.

I see it in schools, skyscrapers...lofts...you name it. Well, I'll name it: UGLY.

There's nothing timeless or aesthetically appealing about this style. It's butt-ugly. And I don't know what possesses these architects to copy each other and reuse this style over and over in this city.

It's gross!

And Uptown has at least a half dozen of them, the multiplied like a plague in 5 years.

I have noticed in the last few days that alot of ground has been moving in the empty lot next to the Mercer, and was wondering if the second tower was going up?

Unfortunately no, I guess. . . it was ugly anyways.

Hard to decide if a second ugly tower would have been better or not. :unsure:

Thread is here.

Wamu bought the land, they are building a branch bank on the lot. <_<

No second tower. :mellow:

• 3 weeks later...
They are building something next to Memorial Towers and the CVS at the corner of Richmond and Sage. Just wondering what it is.

Welcome to HAIF jamie!. Good question, Fellowman asked the a similar question a few weeks back.

This is the answer.

Long story short, it was supposed to be Mercer II to match the existing skinny nasty stained urinal looking condo. Not Memorial Towers as you mentioned. People realize how hideous it was and held off. 3 years later, with the project completely dead, WaMu bought the land and a cheap little branch bank is being built.

Nothing to see here, merge. B)

Edited by Pumapayam

• 1 month later...
Welcome to HAIF jamie!. Good question, Fellowman asked the a similar question a few weeks back.

This is the answer.

Long story short, it was supposed to be Mercer II to match the existing skinny nasty stained urinal looking condo. Not Memorial Towers as you mentioned. People realize how hideous it was and held off. 3 years later, with the project completely dead, WaMu bought the land and a cheap little branch bank is being built.

Nothing to see here, merge. B)

Now that WAMU is dead... what now?

• 2 months later...
Now that WAMU is dead... what now?

The building was almost half way built. With all the exposure, the structure is probably getting mold infested on the inside and should be torn down.

At least the prime lot can host a different structure now, better suited for the current densification of that area.