The Mercer: Condominium High-Rise At 3388 Sage Rd.

Guest KOKON Steel

• 2 years later...

I can't tell from bing's birds eye view, but is the WAMU building the one directly south of the tower/garage? It looks like it has some drive-throughs.

Thanks

How's this for closure on an old thread.

Old news, but for the sake of ending it, the half build WAMU was completed and turned into a People's Trust Credit Union.

Edited by Pumapayam
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Looks like the Mercer is being painted grey and windows are being punched through the masonry on the east/west elevations.

Is this the tide turning on __the age of beige?

I noticed the grey too... I just thought every time I looked at it that they sure do like cleaning the windows. But the progress has been slow, it's been grey for a couple weeks on the top. Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

All in favor of blowing up this wretched mess? It is absolutely ridiculous that such a horrid building was allowed to tower into the sky. Why don't they just gut the back and fit it with a one way glass curtain. Or they could gut the back and finish the building's other half! Which could clearly be a fix that makes the building look less of an abomination. Overall this mercer couldn't possibly stand with the lights of the Williams tower.

Looks like the Mercer is being painted grey and windows are being punched through the masonry on the east/west elevations. 

Is this the tide turning on  __the age of beige?

These are condos - I'm amazed the owners would vote to put themselves to the expense of adding windows after the building had been completed.

I toured The Mercer while it was still under construction, but already topped out.  As I recall, the renderings I was given showed the now-cancelled 2nd tower being located to the south, but offset a bit in the E-W direction.  If that had materialized, I think the pair of buildings would have been less painful to look at.

I was told that the building was a project by a Hong Kong guy, operating out of Dallas.  Also, that the construction involved some techniques used in HK, but not common in the US at that time.

• Like 1

I toured The Mercer while it was still under construction, but already topped out.  As I recall, the renderings I was given showed the now-cancelled 2nd tower being located to the south, but offset a bit in the E-W direction.  If that had materialized, I think the pair of buildings would have been less painful to look at.

I'm pretty sure the originally-planned second building was to have been directly east of the one that was built.  Back-to-back, rather than side-to-side, might have looked better to passers-by, but the views are to the north.  (I always thought 4 buildings would have looked best.)

• Like 1

I've been watching the 'reconstruction' of the Mercer over the past few months and have been wondering what in the world is going on. That building is only 10 years old yet they seem to have replaced all the windows and are completely redoing the exterior of the building from top to bottom. Were there issues with the original construction causing the overhaul? Is the HOA footing the bills for (I can't imagine how much that would have to cost, special assessments, etc). Hopefully a resident of the building also cruises this forum and can give some insight.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to The Mercer Houston At 3388 Sage Rd.
  • 1 year later...

God, it's so hideous.  I'm glad to see my friend group aren't the only ones who think so.

My friends and I call it "the thumb."

Edit: great photo though, Highrise!

Edited by TimCrusticle
wanted to compliment Highrise's photo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

• The title was changed to The Mercer: Condominium High-Rise At 3388 Sage Rd.