The Mercer: Condominium High-Rise At 3388 Sage Rd.

Guest KOKON Steel

your going to laugh but i think that building is cool looking. a better building to bash is those fancy condo/apartment things butting right up to freeway over there.

Are you talking about the Broadstone (I think thats the name) those five or so story ones right next to 59 or the ones behind? Or maybe completely different ones. The ones behind the Broadstone are pretty ugly, but they look slightly better now that they have been repainted IMO.

I think they look silly that they were designed to look like several small buildings next to each other, but have an outdoor staircase, simply covered up, not even A/C'd for Houston summers. I hope that they installed sound proof window, being so close to the freeway.

To get back on topic, I love the person who made that comment that the Mercer looks like a stained unrinal.

The sad part is that the more I look at the front, the more I think that it could've a been a fairly decent building (redundant, I know). I still can't fathom why they thought cutting the building in half would be a good idea asthetically. The two buildings closer together will probably mitigate the ugliness of the buildings individually, but it's still a shameful miscalculation by the designers.

Somehow I can't see how having a second ugly building would mitigate the ugliness of the first ugly building. Simple math says the ugliness is doubled. The problems with the Mercer run deeper than just plain ol' ugliness too. The proportions are terrible.

Somehow I can't see how having a second ugly building would mitigate the ugliness of the first ugly building.  Simple math says the ugliness is doubled.  The problems with the Mercer run deeper than just plain ol' ugliness too.  The proportions are terrible.

Hey Subdude,

I need that liscense to kill................ myself everyday that I have to look at that albatross.

Somehow I can't see how having a second ugly building would mitigate the ugliness of the first ugly building.  Simple math says the ugliness is doubled.  The problems with the Mercer run deeper than just plain ol' ugliness too.  The proportions are terrible.

Hey Subdude,

I need that liscense to kill................ myself everyday that I have to look at that albatross. My goodness I don't know what I'll do if they actually put #2 up.

Please God if I have any favors with you, keep those developers from putting the second one up.

I think having the twin will probably give the more discriminating viewer a different perception of scale. As it stands, the single monstrosity is more ominous. It's a bean pole; a homely, unshapely spinster in a crowd of curvaceous fashion models. Having another bean pole may (and I guess I should use more stress on the word "may") make it less egregious in its enviroment.

There was a news clip on one of the local stations about a year and a half ago, as to why there were so few windows on this building and why it was so ugly. It was designed with few windows so that those who are afraid of heights could still enjoy high-rise living. I don't think that answered the question of why it was so ugly, though.

That was a public relations answer. If you actually look at the floor plans of the units in the building, you'll see that there really aren't the rooms on that side for windows. The building has emergency stairwells and elevators (residential and service). I think either a kitchen or a second bedroom may be in the back corners that'll need the windows. Every other room uses the other side for a windows.

The floorplans are a nice layout for a condo and for the price.

Ricco67

Thanks for the welcome. I'd been reading this forum for months before I finally signed up to reply. I really enjoy the architecture, construction and demographic related topics discussed here.

Now, as to your post:

Don't Shoot The Messenger! :D

Seriously, that was what they said...and I also thought that was a poor excuse for a bad design. Now, if they had said it was high rise living for blind people who can't tell what it looked like....

The reason why there are no windows was because they did not want a view of the south, so that is why they have the halls, elevator and such on the south part of the building and the north side can be covered with windows.

The reason why there are no windows was because they did not want a view of the south, so that is why they have the halls, elevator and such on the south part of the building and the north side can be covered with windows.

It was also more energy-efficient to block out the direct sunlight from the south.

good point subdude.

So that would mean people who want windows on the southside would want a building that is not energy saving. Just a thought.

I bought my house so that the south side is completely blocked by another house. My east and west sides set up with energy efficient windows. My north side has a house by it too.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

good lord that building is hideous... i live in tanglewood and see it all the damn time, and everytime i ask myself "how did that monstrosity get approved?" seriously, who was the braintrust that saw that design and said "yep! that's the one! let's get the ball rolling on this sucker!" i mean, they sure as hell cant be native houstonians... right? why would you want to deface your own city landscape like that?

it's baffling, really.

Edited by swtsig

good lord that building is hideous... i live in tanglewood and see it all the damn time, and everytime i ask myself "how did that monstrosity get approved?" seriously, who was the braintrust that saw that design and said "yep! that's the one! let's get the ball rolling on this sucker!" i mean, they sure as hell cant be native houstonians... right? why would you want to deface your own city landscape like that?

it's baffling, really.

I actually love the building from the front side... but the back side is definitely not as nice. I wish they would at least build the second one so it's not just standing alone.

Yeah, I've seen that building (you're talking the one right behind the CVS and across from Chipotle) at Richmond. It is hideous and I've often thought it was too skinny for it's height. But more importantly, what are the condos in it like? They seem, just from looking at it, that they'd be too small...?