Hear, hear!

The game last night was awesome. "See-saw" was right; one goal after another. I was sad to see my man Pat let four get by, but you have to think about how tired they must have all been (how many games in the past two weeks?) and how the altitude up in Mexico City was affecting them. And even with all that, they still got four goals.

Every time I see Kei Kamara approach the net, I think He's too nervous! He's not going to make it! And he's been proving me wrong every time lately. I'm really happy so far with him as an addition to the team.

I think that all around, we have an outstanding team, and that's what it's all about. Sure, Ching and DeRo and Barrett and Onstad are all great players on their own merits, but the entire team just works so fantastically together, like a well-oiled machine. And Kinnear, of course, is an amazing manager. His leadership is unequalled in Houston sports right now. Love, love, love my boys in orange!!!

Edited by sheeats

• 2 months later...

This is by far the biggest trade in both Houston Dynamo and TFC's history. There's no question that TFC will be a threat next year. As for the Dynamo, they'll still be a threat, but they'll be faster on defense now.

Looking forward to seeing what other acquisitions the Dynamo make especially with all that allocation money.

This is by far the biggest trade in both Houston Dynamo and TFC's history. There's no question that TFC will be a threat next year. As for the Dynamo, they'll still be a threat, but they'll be faster on defense now.

Looking forward to seeing what other acquisitions the Dynamo make especially with all that allocation money.

Losing DeRo is huge for the Dynamo, no doubt about it.

I've read elsewhere that Houston will not be using its Designated Player slot, so I'm wondering if that's true then who of similar quality could the Dynamo bring in to replace him?

Edited by Bombero451

Losing DeRo is huge for the Dynamo, no doubt about it.

I've read elsewhere that Houston will not be using its Designated Player slot, so I'm wondering if that's true then who of similar quality could the Dynamo bring in to replace him?

They don't want to use Designated Player slot until they get a stadium and/or change coaching philosphy (they are about the team not just one star). This could change for the right player of course. Difficult move but could prove smart in some ways...still lost DeRo! :unsure:

• 1 year later...

Bellaire Mayor Cindy Siegal is mad. She doesn’t like Midway Development’s alternate plan for a new Dynamo Soccer Stadium. Meanwhile, neighbors in Sharpstown are worried. They fear that the PlazAmericas makeover of the Sharpstown Mall could scare away a lot of non-Hispanic patrons.

I’m always interested in ways to kill two birds with one stone. And these two stories made me wonder – what if the new Dynamo Stadium were built at the PlazAmericas/ Sharpstown Mall?

Traffic would be less worrisome than at the Midway site, because the mall is already designed for it. The Sharpstown Mall always had excellent access to the Southwest Freeway. A few blocks to the south, Boxer Properties runs the Arena Theater, and the concerts do not cause traffic jams on adjacent neighborhood streets. Neighborhood streets are already configured to avoid this.

The costs would be less than either the Downtown and Midway site. The stadium could use much of the existing Sharpstown Mall infrastructure – most notably parking and site drainage. Most of PlazAmerica’s anchors are vacant, so the square footage is there. It would require a reconfiguration of the mall – but that’s still usually less expensive than building everything from the ground up.

Soccer is an international sport, and the Alief-Sharpstown-Gulfton area is Houston’s most international. From a demographic standpoint, it would make sense to put the Dynamo stadium in the middle of it all – at the PlazAmericas mall. And this is to say nothing of the benefits to PlazAmericas. The stadium could buttress the funding that’s already lined up for the makeover of the Sharpstown Mall. Not to mention all the people that will come through the mall on game days.

The PlazAmericas mall would be a better choice for The Dynamo than downtown or Midway’s site in Bellaire. Soccer could be an ace-in-the-hole for the mall. It could be a match made in heaven.

Thanks for your insight, LT, scintillating as always.

WAZ - The Sharpstown site, particularly the old Gillman plot across Bellaire, would be a very good location for the reasons you mention. But evidently only downtown deserves any development.

• Like 1

Thanks for your insight, LT, scintillating as always.

WAZ - The Sharpstown site, particularly the old Gillman plot across Bellaire, would be a very good location for the reasons you mention. But evidently only downtown deserves any development.

When I first saw Midway's proposal, I was intrigued specifically because it wasn't downtown. Downtown seems to be Houston's repository for everything that's good. New park? It goes downtown. New museum? Downtown. New stadium? Downtown of course. But why is that? Is downtown the only neighborhood that deserves these things?

The more I looked at it, the more I questioned Midway's location. Even though it's not downtown, it would leave much to be desired. Using the Dynamo stadium to anchor PlazAmericas would be at least as good an option.

• 2 weeks later...

When I first saw Midway's proposal, I was intrigued specifically because it wasn't downtown. Downtown seems to be Houston's repository for everything that's good. New park? It goes downtown. New museum? Downtown. New stadium? Downtown of course. But why is that? Is downtown the only neighborhood that deserves these things?

Downtown was the neighborhood that was most devoid of these things (until very recently). Downtown is the city's core but it had virtually nothing beyond office buildings and hobos for a good long time. And, Downtown is Houston's face to the rest of the world. Why wouldn't a new multi-million dollar park or museum or stadium go there? It's about putting your best foot forward and all. Look at the bottom of this page. What skyline is that in the banner? Is that Downtown? Or is it the Galleria or Greenway or the TMC or Greenspoint?

It's about putting your best foot forward and all. Look at the bottom of this page. What skyline is that in the banner? Is that Downtown? Or is it the Galleria or Greenway or the TMC or Greenspoint?

It ought to be all of them, IMO. A 360-degree panorama.

And WAZ is right, not ever dollar ought to be spent putting lipstick on a pig.

But I have to agree with LTAWACS on this one. "No."

And WAZ is right, not ever dollar ought to be spent putting lipstick on a pig.

When you characterize Downtown as a pig, it's easy enough to dismiss any additional funds used to improve the neighborhood, but there are many of us who don't see Downtown as such. That said, I certainly wouldn't object to other places getting considered (the heart of River Oaks, for instance), but Sharpstown?... Also agreed with LTAWACS - No.

• 2 weeks later...

When you characterize Downtown as a pig, it's easy enough to dismiss any additional funds used to improve the neighborhood, but there are many of us who don't see Downtown as such. That said, I certainly wouldn't object to other places getting considered (the heart of River Oaks, for instance), but Sharpstown?... Also agreed with LTAWACS - No.

So you complain about those who dismiss funding to improve downtown, and then in the same breath you dismiss funding to improve Sharpstown?

And funding really is the problem here.

The downtown proposal needs $10 million from Harris County for parking and infrastructure. Trouble is, the County is really hurting for money, and they are hard-pressed to cough up your $10 million. (In fact Harris County is looking at cutting $15 million from the Sherriff’s Department).

The beauty of the Sharpstown site is that, if they do it right, the parking and infrastructure is already there. They could go ahead without that $10 million from the County.

Edited by WAZ

• 2 years later...

Currently it's not owned locally, not sure who it is though. This would be my only wish, that whoever owns them is local.

and Lockmat, this is my concern, that Les isn't actually interested in the team, but the venue.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

AEG owns 50%, Oscar De La Hoya owns 25%, and Gabriel Brener owns the other 25%.

AEG solely owns the LA Galaxy. MLS doesn't like that they have interest in two teams, that especially came up during the MLS Cup last year which was Dynamo vs Galaxy.

From the Dynamo site:

On February 29, 2008, AEG announced a partnership agreement with boxing champion Oscar De La Hoya of Golden Boy Promotions and businessman Gabriel Brener and the Brener International Group. AEG retains operating control of the Houston Dynamo, with significant input from De La Hoya and Brener.
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Houston Dynamo FC
  • 2 years later...