That is the truth. The Rockets use to have those type of fans during the championship years. Then it faded away, but is slowly coming back. The Oilers definitely had those fans during the Luv Ya Blue days. The Astros had it during our playoff run for the past three-four years. I guess it is a cycle for Houston fans.

If sellouts were the only criteria, then all Houston franchises would have it. The Texans have sold out every game in their existence. The Rockets have sold out something on the order of 13 straight, and expect more than 30 sellouts this year. The Astros have had several 3 million attendance seasons, and average over 90% of capacity.

However, there is a huge difference between butts in the seats and screaming fans. In general, the wealthier the fan, the less they yell. Not hip to be rabid, I suppose. Now, it should surprise no one to find that Bob McNair would much rather have 70,000 corporate stiffs drinking wine while sitting in $275 Club Seats than 70,000 rabid football fans from Baytown, Pasadena and Freeport swilling Pearl outside the stadium, screaming like banshees and tearing down the goalposts after a come-from-behind win. The second group is louder. The first group pays better. And, anyone who gets Texans emails, or had season tickets knows exactly which group he prefers. There is more talk about business meetings and how to use the Texans to impress clients and employees than there is info about the TEAM.

To a slightly lesser extent, the same applies to the Astros and Rockets, but it is still clear who they want at the games. Just look at the price of the tickets.

The Dynamo have the most affordable ticket structure, and not coincidentally, have the best fans...it aint even close. The other teams would not even allow the giant orange jersey in the stadium, much less the streamers, horns, signs and all the other crazy fan props that Dynamo fans show up with. And the results speak for themselves. Two straight trips to the championship, three straight sellouts, and Chronicle sportswriters who don't even know the rules of soccer writing columns about the team and their fans.

There will probably come the day when soccer achieves the commercial succes of the NHL and NBA. Unfortunately, that will probably be the day that greedy owners buy MLS teams, jack up ticket prices, and run off the rabid fans. Luckily, that day is probably still at least 10 years away.

Until then, it is good to be Orange.

Edited by RedScare

i agree with most of what you said Red, just wanted to say Dynamo tickets aren't that cheap (cheapest is $18 behind the goals, if you want on the sidelines its $22 up high and goes up from there). it is a simple structure and pretty much GA once you get in. which is annoying, cause that's what we're used to, then when we make the playoffs all the soccer moms show up, which is great for the team and the kids, except they expect to sit in their own seats and yell at you for standing in front of them. though not this last game, most people were standing most of the game. At MMP you can get in for $7 and go to 9 amigos and get amazing seats and a waitress. of course you have to get there an hour early or stand for the game. if i don't feel like going early, i'll pay $20 and sit in the mezzanine. for rockets I'll usually pay $22 and sit up high. bottom line is, soccer isn't popular here - the types of fans that go are the type to scream, because they actually love the game. plus their emulating the type of fans in Europe, SAmerica, and Mexico. its very similar to the fans at aeros games. the fans that go know the players, know the rules, and get into the game. half the people at Astros and Rockets games are sitting around talking not even paying attention. they go because its the thing to do, because popular culture tells them to go. don't get me wrong, there are plenty of true fans supporting our other teams, they just get drowned out by the people who only truly care if its the playoffs. over 150 people from the supporter group now have tickets to DC, and according to someone who talked to the DC United front office, over 500 people have knowingly purchased tickets in what has been designated the Dynamo section. can't wait until sunday!

70,000 rabid football fans from Baytown, Pasadena and Freeport swilling Pearl outside the stadium, screaming like banshees and tearing down the goalposts after a come-from-behind win.
i would pay $275 to go to a game like that!! wait that defeats the purpose, but you know what i mean

i would pay $275 to go to a game like that!! wait that defeats the purpose, but you know what i mean

Speaking of 70,000 crazy drunks in a stadium, I am going to Baton Rouge the day after Thanksgiving to watch the LSU/Arkansas game. 92,000 crazy Cajuns in a game with National Championship implications. Now, THAT is how to watch football. I may be an Aggie, but the best game on Nov. 23 this year will be in Louisiana.

Dynamo fans treat the game like college fans do. The other pro sports tend to treat it like social event, as mentioned above.

Sucks about Brian Ching. He is one of our key players. I still think the Dynamo can come out with the win.

there's still a chance he may be available. either way, it'll be a good game. if DeRosario comes out and plays we've got a good shot.

can't wait till sunday...

Every self-respecting sports bar and restauant in Houston should have at least one big screen dedicated to the game. If you're looking to party hardy, I think a few watch parties would include:

-The Mezzanine: S. Shepard and HW59. Official Texian Army party spot. A lot of them are already in Washington DC for the game, but it should still be the best watch party in Houston.

-Every Wings & More in Houston will probably be broadcasting the game. The best of them would probably be at the Wings & More at the Marquee by I-10 and 610 where El Battalon party at each away game. Once again though, a lot of them are going on road trips to D.C. for the game.

-The Bull & Bear on Westhimer and Kirkwood is an official watch party spot for every Dynamo game as well.

-Richmond Arms on Richmond and Fountainview's gonna have a gathering there

-If you're in the Woodlands: Fox & Hound is having an official party there for the game

-If you're in Katy: Wild Wing Cafe will have a watch party there If you're in Austin: Fado Irish Pub is the first I heard, but I hear there's going to be places all over the city to watch it there as well.

There's probably a whole lot more, but those are the first that came to my mind. Most of my friends in the Alief area are throwing their own house parties for the game, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's how most would watch it since it's at 11am.

The Mezzanine Lounge on 59 is likely ground zero for all Dynamo fans not going to DC. Myself included...
I'll be there. Hell, anyone that wants to party with the HAIFers; let's make Mezz the spot! Edited by DJ V Lawrence

Every self-respecting sports bar and restauant in Houston should have at least one big screen dedicated to the game. If you're looking to party hardy, I think a few watch parties would include:

-The Mezzanine: S. Shepard and HW59. Official Texian Army party spot. A lot of them are already in Washington DC for the game, but it should still be the best watch party in Houston.

-Every Wings & More in Houston will probably be broadcasting the game. The best of them would probably be at the Wings & More at the Marquee by I-10 and 610 where El Battalon party at each away game. Once again though, a lot of them are going on road trips to D.C. for the game.

-The Bull & Bear on Westhimer and Kirkwood is an official watch party spot for every Dynamo game as well.

-Richmond Arms on Richmond and Fountainview's gonna have a gathering there

-If you're in the Woodlands: Fox & Hound is having an official party there for the game

-If you're in Katy: Wild Wing Cafe will have a watch party there If you're in Austin: Fado Irish Pub is the first I heard, but I hear there's going to be places all over the city to watch it there as well.

There's probably a whole lot more, but those are the first that came to my mind. Most of my friends in the Alief area are throwing their own house parties for the game, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's how most would watch it since it's at 11am.

I'll be there. Hell, anyone that wants to party with the HAIFers; let's make Mezz the spot!

I agree. I was there last year, the place was still was packed and rowdy in orange, despite 7,000-8,000 making the trip to Dallas. I encourage all HAIFers to make this there MLS Cup party destination. You won't regret this decision...

i would be careful if you really want to watch the game. Texans start at noon so i could see a lot of normal sports bars turning the sound off the Dynamo game half way through. The Mezz will definitely have sound and the game on multiple screens upstairs with a good crowd, as well as soccer bars such as Bull and Bear and Richmond Arms.

if i weren't headed to DC i would be at the Mezz at 10am. $12 ribeye, fries, and a beer - you can't go wrong.

i would be careful if you really want to watch the game. Texans start at noon so i could see a lot of normal sports bars turning the sound off the Dynamo game half way through. The Mezz will definitely have sound and the game on multiple screens upstairs with a good crowd, as well as soccer bars such as Bull and Bear and Richmond Arms.

if i weren't headed to DC i would be at the Mezz at 10am. $12 ribeye, fries, and a beer - you can't go wrong.

Yo, we'll be looking for ya on ABC :D BTW, will you be sitting in the Dynamo supporter's section, or are you somewhere else in RFK?

Great game by the Dynamo! They are a true winner. Here's an interesting fact... the Rockets, Comets, and Dynamo each followed up their first championship with a back-to-back championship.

You forgot the Houston Oilers.

And, GREAT game Dynamo. I'll be at the victory celebration at City Hall on Tuesday at 5:30!

I don't really know much about our team except for Ching. I guess we were w/o not only him but another all-star as the announcers kept referring to him as. Just imagine next year.

Dwayne Rosario who scored the winning goal is the other star. Also, Ronaldo Clark is a good player who was suspended for kicking an opposing player a few weeks ago. He did not play in the championship game.

Dwayne Rosario who scored the winning goal is the other star. Also, Ronaldo Clark is a good player who was suspended for kicking an opposing player a few weeks ago. He did not play in the championship game.

He also did not play last year because of supension. Here's ESPN higlight.

• 4 weeks later...

A month after Dominic Kinnear became only the second coach in MLS history to win back-to-back championships, the Dynamo are making sure he sticks around.

Kinnear has agreed to a new three-year contract that will keep the 2005 MLS Coach of the Year in Houston until at least through the 2010 season, the team confirmed Sunday.

full article

• 9 months later...

It's sad that the defending 2 time champions don't have a thread for this season. I guess this happens when you're winning - you (the fans) don't have to sit and complain.

They just finished their 3rd game in the 3rd country in the last week. Not many teams can get results in this league when playing in international games much less any in Houston. They scored 4 goals at one of best teams in Mexico City last night - great game. Thus they continue to represent Houston greatly in the interantional arena.

Many teams here could learn a thing or two from them - (unjustified) arrogance and supertars (with over-inflated budgets) do NOT win championships!

Let's go DYNAMO! Dale dale campion!