Soccer is to simple of a sport strategically to work big time in the US.

huh? have you ever watched soccer?

there's as much strategy involved as any team sport. formations, positioning, attack strategies, etc.

not much different from hockey or basketball.

According to ESPN, there's an estimated 60 million soccer fans in the United States. Sounds like a lot to work with.

I don't think there's any question that our country is changing racially and culturally, but to say there is 60 million soccer fans is a bit of a stretch. Especially as those "fans" begin to age. I don't have any figures to support what I'm about to say, but it seem's to me that the majority of those "fans" would be young white males. If that's the case, and I believe it has been for a long time, these young white males will naturally gravitate to the more skilled games like football. In other words, kids in the states have the distinct pleasure of knowing the difference in the major sports as there minds mature. Those in Europe don't.

I don't mean to be insulting at all DJ, I just don't see how it will ever make it to the level claimed.

huh? have you ever watched soccer?

there's as much strategy involved as any team sport. formations, positioning, attack strategies, etc.

not much different from hockey or basketball.

I won't argue that soccer is somewhat on par with baseball or basketball as far as strategy goes, however when considering football in the equation, it's not close.

According to ESPN, there's an estimated 60 million soccer fans in the United States. Sounds like a lot to work with.

I'm sure not many of that 60 million are from Texas.This is a football state.Soccer is way down the line.There's even high schools up here in the DFW,that have a bigger following with their hockey teams.

I don't think there's any question that our country is changing racially and culturally, but to say there is 60 million soccer fans is a bit of a stretch. Especially as those "fans" begin to age. I don't have any figures to support what I'm about to say, but it seem's to me that the majority of those "fans" would be young white males. If that's the case, and I believe it has been for a long time, these young white males will naturally gravitate to the more skilled games like football. In other words, kids in the states have the distinct pleasure of knowing the difference in the major sports as there minds mature. Those in Europe don't.

I don't mean to be insulting at all DJ, I just don't see how it will ever make it to the level claimed.

It's not insulting at all; I see where you're coming from. The problem with American soccer isn't the fact that we have a lack of fans. They're here just like anywhere else. But similar to what you said, the quality of our biggest soccer league is not the same or better speed/quality of other soccer leagues worldwide that have been around longer and have their fanbase set up already. Our national team is really improving talent wise because half the players are playing in the top European leagues, while the other half play in America's MLS.

I think MLS can eventually become as prestigous as the Premiership or other European leagues, but I think we all agree that it won't happen overnight, with one big name signing, or one year with a big tournament. Even if we won the World Cup and proved we were the best in the world, MLS will still need to keep growing. As MLS keeps increasing it's level as it has, it's fanbase will grow along with it. Every demographic, too.

...these young white males will naturally gravitate to the more skilled games like football. In other words, kids in the states have the distinct pleasure of knowing the difference in the major sports as there minds mature. Those in Europe don't.

I won't argue that soccer is somewhat on par with baseball or basketball as far as strategy goes, however when considering football in the equation, it's not close.

so you've gone from soccer not being strategic, to putting it at the same level as two very popular sports here.

I agree strategy in football, to a degree, is more complicated then soccer. but not skill level. this is really hard to compare, but other then the QB position, i don't see how you can say football requires more skill then soccer, hockey, or baseball.

Edited by skwatra

so you've gone from soccer not being strategic, to putting it at the same level as two very popular sports here.

If you would re-read my initial post you would find that I never mentioned soccer not having strategy. That would be a idiots analogy. I was simply stating that it wasn't remotely as strategic as football, and that's a fact, if you understand both games.

As far as putting soccer on the the same strategic level as baseball and basketball... I didn't say that either. To be clear, I'm saying that there is a deffinate correlation between basketball and soccer, which again if you know both games, the similarities are obvious. With baseball, it's a completely different type of sport as it's more singular in mind. It doesn't however take a massive amount of strategy to win, other than coaching. That's not to say at all that baseball is mindless, in fact far from it.

I agree strategy in football, to a degree, is more complicated then soccer. but not skill level.

Football is far more complicated than soccer on almost any level. Let's please not argue about that. And I never mentioned anything about skill level, as that's pretty much a prerequisite for playing proffessional sports, or for most levels of sports for that matter.

Edited by Gary

I've got to agree with Dal here DJ. Soccer is to simple of a sport strategically to work big time in the US.

ok, i guess i'll quote you again. at first, you call it to simple strategically to work in the US, then you say "soccer is somewhat on par with baseball or basketball as far as strategy goes" which are two quite popular sports here.

and you also said "males will naturally gravitate to the more skilled games like football"

if you meant more strategic games, that's fine. i brought up skill level because you did.

i still disagree with you, i don't think soccer is not popular here because its lack of strategy, since its very similar to hockey and basketball. and its low scoring, but look at our favorite past time. its just the culture here, which i think is changing. almost every other country in the world loves the sport, which is hard to argue with. people don't grow up watching it, don't have the teams to follow (which is coming), and just don't understand the sport. there are so many sports fans (at least down here) who have no appreciation for hockey, which is an amazing sport at every level. i just don't get how they don't give it a chance.

Football is far more complicated than soccer on almost any level. Let's please not argue about that. And I never mentioned anything about skill level, as that's pretty much a prerequisite for playing proffessional sports, or for most levels of sports for that matter.

I don't think there's a debate there; football is definately more complicated. The ways you can score, the penalties that can be called, and the amount of positions on the field far outnumber soccer, and any American sport I can think of at the top of my head.

Strategy wise, I'd say football and soccer use just as much. The difference is the fact that football is a game of battles. Make a play, playing stops as both teams plan the next play, then make the next play. There's timeouts, stopping the clock in numerous ways, four quarters, coaches' challenges, and a two minute warning timeout per half, while during all that time, the commercial guys can do their thing, and the analysts and fans can try to guess what will happen next.

Soccer is a flat-out war. The clock only stops at halftime. Play only stops when the half finishes, or when someone's injured or fouled hard enough. The strategy being called sponteneously throughout the game, and each player with the ball is their own QB.

each player with the ball is their own QB.

excellent statement.

i think the bottom line is, any professional sport requires a certain skill set, large amount of strategy, and enough excitement to entice viewers. everyone has their own opinion, but soccer fits this mold. if you tell someone in Edmonton that you'd rather watch a car going around in circles for 200 laps, or wait 1 minute in between pitches for a few seconds of action, then a hockey game, i'm pretty sure you'll be laughed at. to each their own.

soccer has a chance here, with the right media push and skilled players coming, a good showing at an international level, who knows where we'll be in 20 years.

and gary, just to let you know football is my favorite sport to watch on TV, with hockey (only because i play) and basketball second. i love going to Dynamo games, but i can only watch MLS games here on TV if i'm with the right friends. if i'm in Europe or Asia its a different story. I just got back from Tokyo, Thailand, and Singapore, and we always randomly found bars with European Champion's Cup games on with rowdy crowds, and it was a blast. though i was definitely ready for some playoff football when i got back.

i still disagree with you, i don't think soccer is not popular here because its lack of strategy, since its very similar to hockey and basketball. and its low scoring, but look at our favorite past time. its just the culture here, which i think is changing. almost every other country in the world loves the sport, which is hard to argue with. people don't grow up watching it, don't have the teams to follow (which is coming), and just don't understand the sport. there are so many sports fans (at least down here) who have no appreciation for hockey, which is an amazing sport at every level. i just don't get how they don't give it a chance.

Americans love having the best quality behind their sports. We have the best American-style football in the world. America isn't the best in baseball, hockey, or basketball right now, but we have the strongest baseball, hockey, and basketball league avaliable on the market right now. Regardless of how much I love soccer and enjoy watching MLS, it's not even in the top five in terms of best quality soccer-football on the planet. It's getting there, though.

More people are taking MLS seriously talent and fan-wise, and more people are interested in watching soccer in America in non-World Cup years than at anytime I can recall in my lifetime (I'm 24). I think that's a safe assumption.

If you would re-read my initial post you would find that I never mentioned soccer not having strategy. That would be a idiots analogy. I was simply stating that it wasn't remotely as strategic as football, and that's a fact, if you understand both games. . . .

Football is far more complicated than soccer on almost any level. Let's please not argue about that.

Let's--

Football is more complicated than soccer on exactly *one* level--the coaching level. Football's a war simulation, where the generals devise all the strategy.

The quarterback might have the authority of, say, a captain, but each action and its possibilities are scripted for him. In contrast, soccer the players create the 'plays' from the situation, and the central ones devise the campaigns, leaving only the grand strategy to the coaches, which would make them all roughly major through colonel level.

Here's the million-dollar question though. Will Superliga become the next UEFA Champions Cup in the world of sports, or will it become meaningless?
Good question. The Mexican (and by that I mean in Mexico) audience will need to be persuaded to care. They've not thought much about MLS because there's never been any reason to think our league was as good as theirs. (In contrast to our National Team, which has dealt Mexico some all-too-painful defeats in the last decade.)

Beckham will inspire some curiosity (remember, Madrid is a very popular club in the entire Spanish speaking world). Even if he's not there in time for the tournament (which he isn't currently scheduled to be, unless LA makes the elimination rounds), there will be extra eyes on MLS.

MLS will have the advantage this first time of playing at home, in midseason (preseason in Mexico). If MLS gets off to a flying start with these initial watchers, this tourney may get traction. If Mexico waltzes through, it might not, since Mexico's schedule is very crowded.

• 2 weeks later...

second leg of the Champion's Cup first round will be in College Station??

"Watch your MLS Cup Champion Houston Dynamo play Puntarenas FC in the first round of the longest running international club competition in the Central American, North American, and Caribbean regions. The match will be played at the Aggie Soccer Complex in College Station, TX, on March 1 at 8 p.m."

second leg of the Champion's Cup first round will be in College Station??

"Watch your MLS Cup Champion Houston Dynamo play Puntarenas FC in the first round of the longest running international club competition in the Central American, North American, and Caribbean regions. The match will be played at the Aggie Soccer Complex in College Station, TX, on March 1 at 8 p.m."

Yes, that news was reported on January 23rd above.

anyone know a good place (crowd that's actually into it) to watch games here?

Just realized USA is playing Mexico in a friendly tomorrow.

Actually, yeah. Word on the street has it that the big viewing party will be at the Mezzanine on 59 and S. Shepard. I can't decide if I'm going there or one of the Alief house parties for the game, but I think Mezzanine will be one of the biggest public viewing parties tommorow.

The full schedule was finally released today. Here's the 411...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4530228.html

The schedule of games is as follows (all times CT):

Sunday, April 8 LOS ANGELES 6:00 PM

Saturday, April 14 CHIVAS USA 7:30 PM

Saturday, April 21 @ New York 6:30 PM

Sunday, April 29 CHICAGO 6:00 PM

Saturday, May 5 @ Colorado 8:30 PM

Wednesday, May 16 @ Toronto FC 6:00 PM

Saturday, May 19 NEW ENGLAND 7:30 PM

Saturday, May 26 @ DC United 6:30 PM

Sunday, June 3 FC DALLAS 4:00 PM

Thursday, June 7 COLORADO 8:00 PM

Sunday, June 10 @ Columbus 4:00 PM

Thursday, June 21 CHIVAS USA 8:00 PM

Sunday, June 24 @ Kansas City 4:00 PM

Saturday, June 30 @ FC Dallas 5:00 PM

Thursday, July 5 NEW YORK 7:00 PM

Sunday, July 8 DC UNITED 7:30 PM

Thursday, July 12 @ Chicago 8:00 PM

Sunday, July 15 TORONTO 7:30 PM

Sunday, July 22 @ New England 3:00 PM

Saturday, August 4 @ Real Salt Lake 8:00 PM

Saturday, August 11 @ Colorado 8:00 PM

Sunday, August 19 FC DALLAS 6:00 PM

Saturday, August 25 COLUMBUS 7:30 PM

Saturday, Sept. 1 KANSAS CITY 7:30 PM

Saturday, Sept. 8 REAL SALT LAKE 7:30 PM

Sunday, Sept. 16 @ Los Angeles 7:00 PM

Sunday, Sept. 30 @ FC Dallas 2:00 PM

Sunday, Oct. 7 LOS ANGELES 2:00 PM

Saturday, Oct. 13 @ Real Salt Lake 7:00 PM

Saturday, Oct. 20 @ Chivas USA 9:30 PM

In addition to the MLS schedule, the Dynamo will compete in three other competitions in 2007. They will participate in the CONCACAF Champions Cup, the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup and SuperLiga.

Our core team's back with Canadian MVP De Rosario, and of course our national team member Ching, Clark, Davis, and a few others. Beckham's coming to town October 7th, which will probably be the first time ever that a soccer match was a hotter ticket than an NFL game on a Sunday. Not to mention the fact that we're in Superliga this year, plus the fact that the league will be nationally televised on four major networks this year (Univision for the first time this year), Houston's gonna get some MAD airtime this year. If there were ever a time to win the MLS Cup, the time would be now:)

P.S. The All Star Game will be in Denver, and MLS Cup 2007 will be at RFK Stadium in Washington D.C.

HOUSTON DYNAMO 2006 SINGLE-GAME TICKET PRICES

SECTION ADULT YOUTH

VIP Center $50 N/A

VIP Sideline $40 $35

VIP Endline $30 $25

Center $25 $20

Sideline $20 $16

Endline $20 $16

General Admission $15 $12

not on sale yet for this season. same venue, prices should be similar.

Are the games on local television channels or Cable/Satellite?

Here's the national tv schedule...

http://web.mlsnet.com/mls/schedule/2007/national_tv/

Dynamo's on 19 nationally televised regular season games. Chances are that ABC may cover Superliga this Summer, and ESPN/ESPN 2 may cover the end of the U.S. Open Cup.

Also, I think the locally televised games may be on TV 51

Fox Sports Houston had several of the games last season. Not sure if they're picking any up this season. This is from bigsoccer:

TV/Radio Broadcasts

* In 2006, Dynamo games were broadcast locally in Spanish on Concierto 850 AM and 101.7 FM (Liberman Broadcasting).

* Fox Sports Houston (formerly known as Fox Sports Southwest Houston) carried selected Dynamo games in 2006.

* TV Informa, Channel 43, also carried selected games in Spanish in 2006.

* TV Informa also had a Dynamo magazine show, Dynamo TV, that aired on Tuesday at 6:30 pm.

* The official schedule at MLSnet.com typically includes broadcast information, but you should check this forum for particular games. The in-game/play-by-thread for each game will contain broadcast information for that game.